Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bullyclutch's 06 WRX PP & fly in 05 LGT (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52707)

LittleBlueGT 01-20-2007 10:34 PM

Bullyclutch's 06 WRX PP & fly in 05 LGT

My car has had the motor pulled for a few days now, good time to do a better clutch!

I received my moddified 06 WRX PP and clutch and got a new OEM 06WRX flywheel in from the dealer.

It is very obvious side-by-side that the the 06 WRX and 05+ LGT PP&fly combo is very different. I hope to have comparison pics for you next saturday night. I really hope that the full 06 WRX kit will bolt right in to our cars. When I know for sure I will update.

Here are a few pics. Hopefully you can see there roller-bearing design. Supposedly this PP will have about 38% more clamping force then OEM, but be the same or slightly less pedal pressure then stock. I will measure to know for sure.

I tried to link these pics directly, but it didn't work.

You can see them all here:

Bullyclutch

Update, (long overdo!!!)

The clutch has completely broken in and I have reset the pedal to where it was with the OEM clutch.

This thing rocks for a daily driver. Your wife/GF could drive it and never notice a difference at all.

I managed to get a 4.2 sec 0-60 with this clutch and 327 wtq from my AVO380 all launched at 4900 or so.

I can't imagine a clutch hold more power while not chattering, and have no increase in pedal effort.

Thumbs up!!!

lucas569 01-21-2007 01:38 AM

sub

Han'sGT 01-22-2007 09:05 AM

:munch:

RyanE 01-22-2007 09:09 AM

So did bullyclutch modify the clutch for you, or did you have someone else do the work? Just curious to see what I can do when it comes time for a new clutch...

-Ryan

rc0032 01-22-2007 09:17 AM

Why was your engine out?

praedet 01-22-2007 09:37 AM

Excessive oil consumption...

The dealer is replacing it under warranty

Han'sGT 01-22-2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by praedet (Post 962920)
Excessive oil consumption...

The dealer is replacing it under warranty

the entire engine? holy crap.

LittleBlueGT 01-22-2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanE (Post 962874)
So did bullyclutch modify the clutch for you, or did you have someone else do the work? Just curious to see what I can do when it comes time for a new clutch...

-Ryan

New Long Block.

Like many clutch manufacturers, they start off with an OEM piece and go from there.

This is a brand new 06 WRX Pressure Plate that has been modified.

If I were you I would wait till I have this installed and 100% for sure. That may be a few more weeks though. BTW the 2.5i loaner 5 MT is gutless!

fweasel 01-22-2007 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBlueGT (Post 963366)
New Long Block.

SO you're back to a new block? I thought I read that they switched up and were going to rebuild yours...?

LittleBlueGT 01-22-2007 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fweasel (Post 963861)
SO you're back to a new block? I thought I read that they switched up and were going to rebuild yours...?

I really don't know for sure. They sent mine in and they will repair or replace or a combination of the two as they see fit.

LittleBlueGT 01-28-2007 04:10 PM

I got a chance to compare my modded 06 WRX clutch & Pressure Plate and OEM 06 WRX flywheel to the OEM 05 LGT set-up. I took pics with the dealers camera and they are suppose to e-mail me them, so I will post when I can (my wife broke our camera).

The Bullyclutches 06 WRX Pressure Plate (which should weigh the same as an OEM one) = 10.8 lbs
OEM Pressure Plate = 11.6 lbs

Bullyclutches 06 WRX clutch (which is a lot more HD in appearance) = 4.2 lbs
OEM clutch = 2.8 lbs

06 WRX flywheel = 23.8 lbs
OEM LGT flywheel = 28.2 lbs

Soooooooooooooo.................

I only lose a total of 3.8 lbs from my drivetrain. Although the 1.4 lb difference in clutch weight means the engine when clutch is not engaged will feel a bit lighter. Because of this I have decided to get a lightweight pulley as well, which will drop another 4 lbs from the rotating mass for a total of almost 8 lbs lost. I think that will be a nice combination of being fairly light weight, but not being hard to drive, even for my wife.

I would have preferred to lose 8 lbs total from the Pressure Plate and flywheel combo, then I would have not gotten the pulley, but that is the way it is for now.

BTW the clutch on the 06 wrx is slightly smaller in diameter then the LGT one (about 1/4 inch). Also, there is no way the 06 WRX flywheel and LGT Pressure plate are compatible, no way!

By the looks of it the whole assembly should bolt right up and the clutch should operate like OEM, but I will reserve final judgement for after the install.

sgt 01-28-2007 04:17 PM

What about overall height/thickness of the assemblies(stock v wrx)?

LittleBlueGT 01-28-2007 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgt (Post 973610)
What about overall height/thickness of the assemblies(stock v wrx)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LBGT
By the looks of it the whole assembly should bolt right up and the clutch should operate like OEM, but I will reserve final judgement for after the install.

The pics should help a lot, but the whole assembly is the correct thickness, or at least looks like it is.

The LGT has a rather thick flywheel, but the Pressure Plate is very compactly made. The rex fly is more conventional, but the PP looks more conventional.

I am very very certain it will work w/o problems, but before somebody else takes the risk I would recommend (if you have the time to spare) to wait until my install is all done (1 to 2 weeks). But if you need something now I wouldn't hesitate to go the modded 06 WRX route.

stiinc 01-28-2007 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBlueGT (Post 973697)
I am very very certain it will work w/o problems, but before somebody else takes the risk I would recommend (if you have the time to spare) to wait until my install is all done (1 to 2 weeks). But if you need something now I wouldn't hesitate to go the modded 06 WRX route.

+1 on results.....I'm waiting for the stocker to die before upgrading...Stage 2 and Protuned I'm sure it won't be too much longer......

PhilT 01-28-2007 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBlueGT (Post 973599)
Bullyclutches 06 WRX clutch (which is a lot more HD in appearance) = 4.2 lbs
OEM clutch = 2.8 lbs

06 WRX flywheel = 23.8 lbs
OEM LGT flywheel = 28.2 lbs
ACT streetlite flywheel = 15 lbs

I would have preferred to lose 8 lbs total from the Pressure Plate and flywheel combo, then I would have not gotten the pulley, but that is the way it is for now.

That would have given you the additional 8 lbs without affecting driveability.