Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Kartboy short shifter installed. Now with shifter Bushings (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3750)

RobY 10-08-2004 09:51 PM

Kartboy short shifter installed. Now with shifter Bushings

Initial impressions are good. I will be getting around to installing the Bushings tomorrow and I will do a review on that as well.

Pros:

-The throw is VERY VERY short much shorter than the STi unit that I tried.

- Very well made. The shifter is made out of Cr-moly steel. It is a very solid unit. The welds are perfect. Looks liike a very good TIG job by a very experienced welder.

- Solid. It gives a very positive feel to the shifter. You can feel the car going into gear. May be considered notchy by some.

- Looks great! Sits about an inch lower than stock. Its a very stealthy look. Looks AWESOME with my STI shift knob.

Cons:

- Fitment issues. I had to cut the corner off the steel surround plate to keep it from rubbing. Apparently subaru put the surround plate there to prevent installation of NON-STI short throw shifters. If you change the angle of the shifter to change the leverage it rubs. Kartboy reccomends just bending the plate upwards and out of the way . I decided to get a little dremel happy removed the plate and trimmed the corner square. :D

Apparently the only diffrence between the STi STS and the stock shifter is an extra few degrees of bend in the rod so that it clears the surround plate. The leverage is acheived the same way as the KB shifter acheives leverage. Let me tell you the engineers at subaru know how to "design in" a few extra bucks. :o

- Notchy for some. Its expected for a STS that reduces the throw this much. You have less mechanical advantage so it takes a bit more effort to get in into gear. I like it very mechanical, no mush. Some softer types may not like it.

Overall I am satisfied. I will report back when I have a chance to drive the car a bit more and get those bushings installed. I bet it will stiffen up the linkage alot more.

EDIT: See shifter bushing review below.

powbmps 10-09-2004 04:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It might be tough to bend that plate. It's pretty rugged. Here's a before and after shot of the surround. I used a Dremel with the cutting wheel.

RobY 10-09-2004 07:53 AM

Hey where did you get the gold shift linkages?

Mine are olive... :o

powbmps 10-09-2004 05:59 PM

I wanted pink STI ones but this is what I got :lol: . It's the stock assembly, so I'm not sure why it would be a different color.

Chris S.

gtguy 10-09-2004 06:11 PM

Re: Kartboy short shifter installed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobY
Initial impressions are good. I will be getting around to installing the Bushings tomorrow and I will do a review on that as well.

Pros:

-The throw is VERY VERY short much shorter than the STi unit that I tried.

- Very well made. The shifter is made out of Cr-moly steel. It is a very solid unit. The welds are perfect. Looks liike a very good TIG job by a very experienced welder.

- Solid. It gives a very positive feel to the shifter. You can feel the car going into gear. May be considered notchy by some.

- Looks great! Sits about an inch lower than stock. Its a very stealthy look. Looks AWESOME with my STI shift knob.

Cons:

- Fitment issues. I had to cut the corner off the steel surround plate to keep it from rubbing. Apparently subaru put the surround plate there to prevent installation of NON-STI short throw shifters. If you change the angle of the shifter to change the leverage it rubs. Kartboy reccomends just bending the plate upwards and out of the way . I decided to get a little dremel happy removed the plate and trimmed the corner square. :D

Apparently the only diffrence between the STi STS and the stock shifter is an extra few degrees of bend in the rod so that it clears the surround plate. The leverage is acheived the same way as the KB shifter acheives leverage. Let me tell you the engineers at subaru know how to "design in" a few extra bucks. :o

- Notchy for some. Its expected for a STS that reduces the throw this much. You have less mechanical advantage so it takes a bit more effort to get in into gear. I like it very mechanical, no mush. Some softer types may not like it.

Overall I am satisfied. I will report back when I have a chance to drive the car a bit more and get those bushings installed. I bet it will stiffen up the linkage alot more.

Thanks for the report, and being the pioneer.

But notchy is notchy. It's the Kartboy feel that, as a "softer type," I don't like. :lol: Short shifters are a matter of taste, however, as is shifter height, etc.

Know also that Subaru engineers are very good at designing in OE-style function, rather than "extra bucks." This is why the STi setup is the way it is, a complete linkage rather than a lever that you have to hammer in to the existing linkage.

I do think the Kartboy bushings are a worthwhile mod, and one that I did to the STi short shifter that I installed in my WRX wagon.

Happy shifting,

Kevin

RobY 10-10-2004 01:33 AM

Shifter bushing update....

The shifter bushings really completed the package.

As you all now know I installed the shifter first to compare just the shifter alone to the stock shifter.

Heres an updated review of the shifter and the bushings installed.

When I drove the car with the stock rubber bushings it felt a little bit vauge. With the short shifter It felt as if I could more easily misshift due to the "closeness" of the new shifter assembly. The stock rubber bushing left you questioning if you were actually in gear. It was more difficult to feel for positive engagement.

Now after the install the shifts are solid. Very precise. There is no perceivable play at all. The vaugeness is gone! When you shift there is no question that you are in gear. Instead of sliding iinto gear it literally clicks into gear. Its still a bit notchy as expected for a 40% reduced throw but it is a "good" sort of notchyness. Its hard to explain but imagine your shifter was a giant toggle switch it literally clicks into place.

axis008 10-10-2004 01:39 AM

Sounds good RobY! I don't remember if you noted elsewhere or whatnot, but where did you purchase the shifter and bushings and how much was it?

RobY 10-10-2004 02:13 AM

The shifter and bushings were purchaced as a package deal directly from kartboy.

www.kartboy.com

The total came to $133 shipped to my door.

If you dont mind doing a little grinding of the metal trim plate I think its an awesome deal.

The short throw shifter will fit without cutting the plate down but you get an annoying little rub when you engage first gear.

If you prefer smoothness and relaxed easy type throws with less noise and vibration this is not the shifter for you.

It is definately mechanical in feel. Very short, very precise (with bushings), and very solid. If you grab the shift lever you can literally feel each gear meshing into place.

Rexmobbin' 10-10-2004 06:44 AM

does this affect the ability to shift into 1st at all? i love being able to get into 1st gear while moving (something the WRX was notorious for NOT letting happen), and i really wanna SS, but don't wanna compromise the synchros.

gtguy 10-10-2004 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobY
If you prefer smoothness and relaxed easy type throws with less noise and vibration this is not the shifter for you.

Hey, you calling me a candyass? :lol: :lol: Nice work Rob, and thanks again. When people do, document and discuss mods, this helps everyone make good decisions about what they might or might not like for their car.

Kevin

MtnSub 10-10-2004 09:13 AM

Great info RobY,

For those of us that have or have ordered the Sti Shifter, did I read in pasts posts that you can add just the kartboy bushings to further inhance Sti shifter?

Does the SS prevent you from being able to shift into 1st while moving?

If you can just add the kartboy bushings to Sti SS, next call is to Suby service to see if that impacts warrantee.

Thanks again for good stuff,

gtguy 10-10-2004 09:59 AM

MtnSub, you can add Kartboy bushings to the STi short shifter. They are a very nice change. The bushing that comes with the STi shorty isn't really any firmer than the stock bushing. At least this was the case with my WRX.

Warranty shouldn't be affected an iota.

Kevin

pmcneill 10-10-2004 09:19 PM

Have any of you had problems with vibrations in your Kartboys? I'm still on the stock bushings, but fairly often I'll get a noisy vibration from the shifter in second gear, and to a lesser degree, in fifth. Any ideas? I've got the kartboy bushings in my cabinet, but haven't jacked the car up yet to play with them. Aside from the vibration, though, the shifter's been great -- just put about 1300 miles on my car with it this week.

RobY 10-10-2004 11:38 PM

It vibrates a bit and you can hear first gear whine.

It seems as if the solid linkage transfers some gear noise to the cabin. Nothing extreme though just barely noticable.

I did notice that there was a significant amount of felt vibration at the shifter. This was expected. With the SOLID cro-moly steel shifter shaft and the new bushings the shifter is basicly one unit with the tranny. I have effectively removed all the vibration isolation out of the linkage.

I still wonder why they didnt go ahead and make the bushings out of brass they are just as hard. The bushings are like a hockey puck. probably harder. I'd be surprised if they isolated any vibration at all. 95D urethane= rock.

As mentioned before you can actually feel the shift forks and the syncros syncromeshing each gear. VERY good feedback if you like that type of stuff.

Rexmobbin.

No problems getting into 1st gear at ANY speed. First gear is just as easy as second.

I also owned a WRX. I had the factory STI unit on there. Id say the feel of the legacy tranny with the kartboy setup is MUCH MUCH better than the STi setup I had on the WRX.

Not only in terms of feel but also in terms of notchyness and ease of getting into gear. My current setup is less notchy, more smooth, and easier to get into gear, even with the 40% reduced throw.

I attribute this to the fact that they did in fact update the tranny for this car.

If we ever have a Western NY subaru meet Ill be more than happy to let you guys try the setup out.

Drift Monkey 10-11-2004 07:09 AM

Nice work! Pics?