Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Warranty Issues & Problems (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Shifter Surround or Bezel Gap: READ THIS (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34328)

LegGTLT 05-10-2006 06:08 PM

Shifter Surround or Bezel Gap: READ THIS

3 Attachment(s)
After many posts in various other threads, LGT members have finally found a solution to the gap on the right side of the shifter surround/bezel.

After many attempts we now have a part number that the dealer can reference AND that actually fixes the problem. :lol: It's P/N 66073AG08AWA for Taupe and 66073AG08AJC for Black, which is in the first picture below. Previously people had been replacing just the actual shifter surround or bezel and the problem would come right back. :( The gap is identitfied in the second and thrid picture. If your dealer has any doubts, have them contact the below dealers who have now fixed this problem with the above P/N. It's a PIA to replace supposedly so they may balk at first. GOOD LUCK! Please post if you have had or have this problem. Thanks! :D

Dealers:
Reynold's Subaru in Lyme, CT: 1-800-899-0028
Subaru of Schaumburg: 1-847-884-6000

BlueBaru 05-10-2006 08:43 PM

Thank you.. thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.... !!

Great fix for a stupid, yet highly visible flaw..

sean96gsr 05-10-2006 08:43 PM

My car had this problem since day 1, and never had an STS or Sub installed so there was no reason for the piece to have ever been taken off. My guess is there was a bad batch of these pieces made and then installed into new cars.

Mine was replaced with this part at Reynold's Subaru and has been fine since.

-Sean

LegGTLT 05-10-2006 09:22 PM

^^^ Give thanks to this man!!! :D sean96gsr was the original P/N poster who helped us get this solved. :)

Edvig 05-10-2006 10:20 PM

awesome...thank you :)

sean96gsr 05-11-2006 06:08 AM

Thanks guys but don't thank me, thank Reynold's Subaru, they actually took the time to figure out what was causing the gap. I have a feeling my old dealership would have just told me "they all look like that", lol.

TSi+WRX 05-11-2006 07:41 AM

Someone stickie this!!!!

BlueBaru 05-11-2006 11:35 AM

IMPORTANT: The part number for the grey/black interior folks among us: 66073AG08AJC

Sean, Reynolds Subaru - thank you all!

Sticky... sticky, now!!

gt_ltd 05-11-2006 01:22 PM

sticky!!

mickeyd2005 05-12-2006 09:38 AM

WOW!! My car looks exactly like this. I'll have to call the dealer and see if they'll fix it.

Thanks.

mccorry 05-12-2006 09:53 AM

Stickied.....

LegGTLT 05-12-2006 02:26 PM

IT'S ALIVE!!! IT'S ALIVE!!! THE STICKY IS HERE! :lol: :D

Sooooo glad this is helping everyone. :) If there are any problems with the new part for any of you, please let us all know. So far so good. Those who got it fixed have said it's as clean and tight as they could ask for. I will be heading in myself early next week (just have to hit my free oil change mileage so I can do it all at once :) ) and hopefully will have another success story to share! :D

EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueBaru
IMPORTANT: The part number for the grey/black interior folks among us: 66073AG08AJC

I made sure to add this to the first post also! Thanks for the info! :)

LegGTLT 05-17-2006 11:23 AM

Add Carter Subaru in Seattle, WA to the list. They just ordered the part after I showed them a pic and gave the dealers listed above. It's coming from CT so it'll be here in a week. :) At least I didn't even have to leave my car with them!!! :D Just walked in and talked to the same guy I've been dealing with and he ordered it "part unseen". He looked it up and verified it was the part that the bezel piece sits on and said, "Let's give it a shot cause we haven't been able to fix it the way we thought it should be fixed. Let's try this and see!" :lol:

jdanhires 05-23-2006 04:56 PM

Well, I wish I could report success with my local dealership. I called last week and had them order in the part and schedule a visit to apply the fix. Well, the car was there all day today and all they managed to do was place a few shims under the screws and scratch the hell out of my shifter bezel. So, armed with this thread, I talked to the service supervisor and asked if they could actually fix it correctly. He then called in the mechanic who, uh, 'fixed' the problem. The mechanic seemed a little confused as to how the part could fix the problem. Now, I'm not an engineer, or even a mechanic, but it seems to me that the part that the bezel attaches to could actually affect how it lines up. So, with much grumbling, the mechanic agreed to do the fix. But he acted like he was doing me some sort of favor. The car will be done tonight, and hopefully fixed.

John

LegGTLT 05-23-2006 05:44 PM

^ Sorry to hear that. :( I'm a little confused on what they did though. They ordered the new part listed above when you called last week but decided to put shims under the screws instead of pulling it apart and actually replacing the correct part? More info? :) At least you're on the right track! :D Keep us all updated!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdanhires
Now, I'm not an engineer, or even a mechanic, but it seems to me that the part that the bezel attaches to could actually affect how it lines up.

:lol: Nice one...