Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   new guy from albany with a suby (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219919)

thesavo 01-21-2014 09:46 AM

new guy from albany with a suby

Hello all. My wife and I just put a down-payment on a 2004. We are really excited to finish the sale tomorrow. The car feels nice for 167,000 miles and being 10 years old. Is there anything we should look out for? I already learned that the ticking sound of the 4 cylinder Boxer is normal. Can anyone tell me how to find out if it is turbro charged or not. Some of the Vin decoders I found don't go beyond the Engine size in Position 6. Which is a "6" in my case.

Yamba6 01-21-2014 10:27 AM

If I'm not mistaken I believe 04 and earlier did not come with a stock turbo in the GT model. 05 an newer GT came with the turbo.
Edit: Welcome, I'm from the Buffalo, NY area.

thesavo 01-21-2014 10:39 AM

Ok, i wasn't sure. I found that it's always very difficult to research pre-sale on any purchase.
During the test drive, there was some sticky-ness in the Tach after 2000'ish RPM when accelerating. I wasn't sure if that had anything todo with it.
I am have found some Vin decoders. I have discovered that the breakdown can vary by model and generation.

thesavo 01-21-2014 01:00 PM

There is a slight ticking noise I was concerned with. After a glut of research, I have come to the conclusion that the tick is normal. A board of Ford Taurus enthusiasts that I am member of were discussing this. One of them brought up a point that that these should have their "lashes" adjusted ever 70-100 K miles. It's possible that they can be damaged if neglected. Any thoughts?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Yamba6 01-21-2014 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesavo (Post 4705861)
There is a slight ticking noise I was concerned with. After a glut of research, I have come to the conclusion that the tick is normal. A board of Ford Taurus enthusiasts that I am member of were discussing this. One of them brought up a point that that these should have their "lashes" adjusted ever 70-100 K miles. It's possible that they can be damaged if neglected. Any thoughts?

2.5L Subaru motors are known for having head gasket issues.... make sure to check that block and see no oil is leaking on the side of it/look under the motor to see if oil anywhere around the bottom of the block.

You definitely want to make sure the timing is done every 70-100k miles. I'm almost to that point right now. Those are the common things. Others on here can fill you in on more.

Make sure if you purchased used to redo most the oils in the car. Engine oil (may not have been replaced), Transmission oil, engine coolant, possibly the differential fluids as well. These are good maintenances to do to get things in order after a previous owner had it. Never know what maintenances they've done.

thesavo 01-21-2014 01:23 PM

With 167, 000 if these were not performed is there detriment to doing it now? I have earned my skills performing my own driveway repairs in my cars. Are these complicated maintaince jobs. Timing, differential? the dealers
said he is going change the oil before sale.
It'll check the trans fluid once we get it. The sales guy was very proud the ATF wasn't burnt smelling. The

thesavo 01-29-2014 11:40 PM

Speaking of which. Do these Subie ' s really rake dex III atf? That is way cheaper than the Mercon V that I have to use in my Taurus.