Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pacific Northwest (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   New to Subabru, New to PNW (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214244)

MKonig 09-16-2013 11:42 PM

New to Subabru, New to PNW

I just bought a 2010 LGT in CA and then moved to the Seattle area a few weeks ago. Loving both the area and the car so far!!!

My question is regarding tires. I am in the market for new ones. Apparently the previous owner babied the car because I bought it with 42,000 miles on it and original OEM tires with a about 30% life left on them. As for my question:

Do most of you that live in the area purchase winter tires then switch them out in Spring or just use all season tires all year? I probably won't make many trips into the deep snow this season (work/school) but would like to trust my car/tires if we decide to take a random run up a mountain. I already have total faith in the LGT's AWD but am wondering what you all recommend for a tire to pair it with.

Thanks in advance.

scoobyroo 09-17-2013 12:39 AM

Welcome aboard! Glad you're enjoying the area and the car. I'm not around the Seattle area so someone else may be more familiar with the winter conditions and able to provide better input. I have winter tires I switch to on stock wheels and a summer setup. I mainly have snow tires instead of all seasons just because they are a legal equivalent to chains here and we can't put chains on. I say a good set of all seasons is all you need if you are confident/experienced with snow driving. Otherwise considering snow tires would be wise for the extra security.

boxkita 09-17-2013 03:05 AM

I run 2 sets, summer. & winter. In your case, I have a deal for you. :)

Michelin aps all season tires. Have about 3000 miles on them. Some wear on the edges. $250 for the set.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...50-200104.html

nohbodybutme 09-17-2013 08:46 AM

Hey, I'm also from CA and I was running dunlop direzza star spec for yr and half (until I hit a pot hole). Now I'm running Continental DWS. I really don't feel you need winter tires unless you go pretty deep into the snow. If you go snowboard/skiing getting to the local mt here isn't a problem with the DWS.

boxkita 09-17-2013 11:52 AM

in Washington, you'll need a m+s rated tire for a mountain run. However you don't need a studded tire. We generally don't have ice unless you live on queen Anne, in which, you stay home. In Seattle, it's not your ability or your car's that is a concern, it's the people in Prius who don't know when to stay off the roads.

I drove my summer tires all last year, winter and summer. You're mostly concerned with having a good rain tire.

RyanGT 09-17-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxkita (Post 4584433)
......<blah><blah><blah>......<ice drama><blah>...... it's not your ability or your car's that is a concern, it's the people in Prickus who don't know when to stay off the roads.
........<more blah blah blah>

FTFY! :lol:

Welcome to the OP!

Lawson 09-17-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanGT (Post 4584627)
FTFY! :lol:

Welcome to the OP!

^made me die of laughter

Berzerklo 09-23-2013 12:50 PM

In a perfect world I would run separate summer & winter tires. Unfortunately I don't have the space for two sets so I have been running All-Seasons year round - Kumho Ecsta 4X for the past 2 winters and have no problems driving mountain passes and have been very happy with the performance overall.

adreyna 09-25-2013 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerklo (Post 4590503)
In a perfect world I would run separate summer & winter tires. Unfortunately I don't have the space for two sets so I have been running All-Seasons year round...

As many have stated, if you have the cash or know you will be driving a lot in snow or ice, dedicated winter tires would be ideal.

But since most of us only see rain and rarely drive or a lot of snow or ice, all-seasons are the best choice. I've been running Continental DWS' for two years and have no complaints, (ok maybe a bit of road noise), but have been flawless, especially paired with Subaru AWD.

Did my research and they were the best for my needs and aggressive driving. I drive thru Snoqualmie Pass a lot and have never had any trouble with them in snow, or its excessive rain during the winter months.

Looking forward to buying a new set when the time comes. :)

RyanGT 09-26-2013 11:16 AM

^^^ I am getting DWS mounted on my TDI tomorrow! Woot!

homegrwn97 09-26-2013 11:48 AM

I just mounted DWS's on my STi Goldies last week.
I like them!

w00t!

FocuS 10-01-2013 09:51 PM

I'm still running my Conti DWS'...Probably 10-12K miles on them and still running strong!

Good value and can handle just about anything short of ice...but that's pretty rare around here!

Welcome to the PNW!

ziptiecloud 10-04-2013 03:26 PM

You'll be fine with all-seasons; no problem. Dedicated winter's turn the car into a beast, but no need for anything more than good all-seasons.

On another note- good to see another 5th gen in Sea!

Cheers

MKonig 10-06-2013 03:52 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I need to take the LGT into get some possible warranty work done. Any suggestions on the best dealership/service center in the area?

ziptiecloud 10-11-2013 11:51 AM

Found you some tires ;)

Here is a survey for the AS tires I had last year (40+ trips up to the mountain and 'did the job'): Bridgestone AS Survey

And this is my recommendation for a great AS tire that will be 'all you need' and 'more than good enough' to stay safe in all conditions: Continental AS Survey

Google search the reviews for best dealer shop. If not warranty, I highly recommend AWD Auto in Kirkland.