Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Pre road trip question (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210273)

jsf721 07-02-2013 04:56 AM

Pre road trip question

My son is taking the car on 4th of July road trip.

1 checked the coolant and the cold level is a little less than half way between full,and low is this normal? If I need to add what type of coolant does this take it is a 2012 legacy limited.

Also in checking the oil the dip stick has no calibrations. What to the 2 holes mean? Thanks.

Jeff.

DugsSin 07-02-2013 05:51 AM

Your coolant level sounds fine. It would usually read at a higher level when the engine has been running and would read at a lower level when the engine is cold.

I would only add Subaru coolant and/or distilled water while it's new.

On my 3.6 dipstick if the oil level is between the two holes your OK. The upper hole is the FULL level and the lower hole is the ADD level.
I believe the other engine has a different dipstick and markings.

The owners manual would answer all these questions but it can also make you :spin: trying to find them. :)

Fill the windshield washer fluid, treat rear and side windows with Rain-X, check tire pressures fill the cooler and enjoy!
I hope your Son has a safe trip.

jsf721 07-02-2013 09:07 AM

Thanks for the info-Much appreciated.

I did the air pressure 33 in the rear and 32 up front. Windshield washer fluid topped up.

I also had personally detailed the car and sealed all the Glass with Gtech G1&2 so the glass sould still be good for a while. My sons first road trip at 18 y/o. I would be lying if I said I was not a little nervous. He is a good, safe driver but it is as always everyone else on the road.

He is headed to see the Dave Mathew's concert tonight at the site where Woodstock was. About 150 mile each way. Sleeping over so he is not exhausted driving home.

Thanks again for the info it was helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DugsSin (Post 4489599)
Your coolant level sounds fine. It would usually read at a higher level when the engine has been running and would read at a lower level when the engine is cold.

I would only add Subaru coolant and/or distilled water while it's new.

On my 3.6 dipstick if the oil level is between the two holes your OK. The upper hole is the FULL level and the lower hole is the ADD level.
I believe the other engine has a different dipstick and markings.

The owners manual would answer all these questions but it can also make you :spin: trying to find them. :)

Fill the windshield washer fluid, treat rear and side windows with Rain-X, check tire pressures fill the cooler and enjoy!
I hope your Son has a safe trip.

acumenhokie 07-02-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsf721 (Post 4489772)
He is headed to see the Dave Mathew's concert tonight at the site where Woodstock was. About 150 mile each way. Sleeping over so he is not exhausted driving home.

Exhaustion?!?!?!?!? Is that what kids are calling it these days? :lol:

DugsSin 07-02-2013 02:15 PM

He has good taste in music I think we are going to see them when they come to Hershey, PA.

I remember well watching my son drive off in his WRX for his first trip :eek: you realize how much you do care about them.

minuccims 07-02-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsf721 (Post 4489772)
Thanks for the info-Much appreciated.

I did the air pressure 33 in the rear and 32 up front. Windshield washer fluid topped up.

How many people and stuff in the car? I would consider 35 front and 34 rear for a full car.

jsf721 07-02-2013 07:03 PM

Just him and one other. Spoke to him, he is at the concert having a ball. Concert goes till 2pm. Long show! He will sleep up there and drive home tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by minuccims (Post 4490408)
How many people and stuff in the car? I would consider 35 front and 34 rear for a full car.

jsf721 07-02-2013 07:04 PM

True and true.

He puts on a great show.

Enjoy it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DugsSin (Post 4490236)
He has good taste in music I think we are going to see them when they come to Hershey, PA.

I remember well watching my son drive off in his WRX for his first trip :eek: you realize how much you do care about them.

jsf721 07-02-2013 07:04 PM

I made him sleep over. He wanted to drive home after the show. No need.

Quote:

Originally Posted by acumenhokie (Post 4490081)
Exhaustion?!?!?!?!? Is that what kids are calling it these days? :lol:

GTEASER 07-03-2013 11:19 AM

Saw Dave a few years back at the Bridge School Benefit Concert here in the Bay Area. He was awesome!! He had a cold and could barely talk to the crowd, but he kept right on playing and singing, and you couldn't tell at all while he was singing.

M3Man 07-03-2013 06:49 PM

FYI, new Subarus use a special, blue coolant. It is not the same as the Prestone type commonly available and I am pretty sure they are not supposed to be mixed. I bought a gallon from the dealer-its about $18.

minuccims 07-03-2013 08:32 PM

never mix the blue blue coolant with "normal" coolant. Never.

jsf721 07-04-2013 05:01 AM

Son is home, had a great time and loved Dave!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTEASER (Post 4491293)
Saw Dave a few years back at the Bridge School Benefit Concert here in the Bay Area. He was awesome!! He had a cold and could barely talk to the crowd, but he kept right on playing and singing, and you couldn't tell at all while he was singing.

jsf721 07-04-2013 05:03 AM

you guys are 100% correct. Subaru used a "super coolant" designed to last 11 years or 250,000 miles! Dealer said to only use Subaru coolant or if you mist add a little distilled water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3Man (Post 4491731)
FYI, new Subarus use a special, blue coolant. It is not the same as the Prestone type commonly available and I am pretty sure they are not supposed to be mixed. I bought a gallon from the dealer-its about $18.

Quote:

Originally Posted by minuccims (Post 4491793)
never mix the blue blue coolant with "normal" coolant. Never.