Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mid-Atlantic (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   driving through virginia - i-81 (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209483)

thisheregirafFe 06-17-2013 08:24 AM

driving through virginia - i-81

hi guys - as the title states i'm taking a road trip from connecticut to pigeon forge, tn and will be driving basically the length of virginia via i-81. i've always heard nightmare stories about podunk police and their love of sticking out of state plates with ridiculous fines. i already know anything over 80 gets you reckless driving and a hefty fine, but is there anything else i should know about VA? i've heard some horror stories and would like to hear from the folks with experience how to deal with driving that stretch...

dudeondacouch 06-17-2013 08:28 AM

Don't speed.

Easy peasy.

BarManBean 06-17-2013 08:29 AM

you've heard right. nothing to tell you other than stay within 10 mph over the speed limit and you'll probably be fine. Watch out for stretches that slow down when you pass through city areas.

thisheregirafFe 06-17-2013 08:58 AM

yeah wasn't planning on speeding... probably even keep it to just 4 or 5 over on cruise control. i was thinking about taking the blue ridge parkway for a good spell when i head back home, but is that usually packed with police too? if i'm not mistaken it's 35 tops there, but i there is now way i could resist diving into some of those sweet, sweet twisties...

BarManBean 06-17-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisheregirafFe (Post 4472267)
yeah wasn't planning on speeding... probably even keep it to just 4 or 5 over on cruise control. i was thinking about taking the blue ridge parkway for a good spell when i head back home, but is that usually packed with police too? if i'm not mistaken it's 35 tops there, but i there is now way i could resist diving into some of those sweet, sweet twisties...

If you're not planning to speed then don't worry about it--you're not gonna get pulled over just for having out of state plates, lol.

Blue ridge parkway is nice, but I think you're right about the limit being 35mph. Cops there are also Federal police, not state / local, so look up the regulations for federal crimes and whatnot if you care.

dudeondacouch 06-17-2013 09:10 AM

be careful with the cruise control. it drops from 70 to 55/60 in several spots, and one of them (around JMU, i think) is in combination with an expansion from 4 lanes to 6, which is counter-intuitive.

ebo03 06-17-2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarManBean (Post 4472238)
you've heard right. nothing to tell you other than stay within 10 mph over the speed limit and you'll probably be fine. Watch out for stretches that slow down when you pass through city areas.

^^ Solid advice. Also watch out for reduced speed limits in construction zones. Anything 20 mph over speed limit in VA can be considered reckless driving which requires you to appear in court...no prepayment. Try to avoid a return trip in a few weeks.

dudeondacouch 06-17-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebo03 (Post 4472298)
wreckless

fail.

ashwinearl 06-17-2013 11:32 AM

There is a section on I-81 South just after Blacksburg, VA and before Wytheville that always seem to have a lot of state troopers or county sheriffs. They park on on ramps which are very well hidden as you drive south. Definitely take it easy in that section. I've seen over 5-6 different police in that section on any given day.

After Wytheville it usually didn't seem as bad.

Similarly, on I-81 South just south of Roanoke, there are several dedicated congested areas with lower speed limits. These are patrolled heavily as is around Harrisonburg.

acumenhokie 06-17-2013 01:29 PM

I miss the old days when the cops fought crime instead of sitting at an off ramp looking for people to harass.

dudeondacouch 06-17-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acumenhokie (Post 4472630)
I miss the old days when the cops fought crime instead of sitting at an off ramp looking for people to harass.

tell me moar about the "old days"

where you from?

acumenhokie 06-18-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudeondacouch (Post 4472829)
tell me moar about the "old days"

where you from?

I went to school at VT and lived in NOVA for many years. I've driven 81 in VA more than I care to admit.

The old days looked a lot like this...

http://cartocars.com/wp-content/uplo...zard-movie.jpg

BarManBean 06-18-2013 09:02 AM

OP, one more thing. If you happen to drive through Madison, VA you need to do two things:

1. Go the speed limit. That doesn't mean go 3mph over, that means go the speed limit or less. The sheriff / lackies there blow goat nuts.
2. Eat at 'Pig and Steak'. Yum :)

thisheregirafFe 06-19-2013 08:47 AM

1 - roger that.
2 - pig and steak? god i do like the sound of that...

Shawn06SpecB 06-20-2013 06:48 PM

I literally just made this trip and the advice in this thread is great. The speed limit changes frequently from 60 to 65 & 70 for what ever reason. Also, if you do hit the small portion of i81 in west virginia be very careful in the construction zone there.