Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Yes another oil question (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208518)

4thsubaru 05-30-2013 07:20 AM

Yes another oil question
 
My 2010 legacy Gt has required me to add oil before the next oil change on two occasions now. I do mostly city stop & go.

I know Subaru engines has always had a history of consuming some oil going back to the 2004 Sti. I had one and never had oil consumtion issues.

After reading a bucnch of threads their is talk of comprssion testing etc etc.

The question is how much oil loss is normal and what is not normal and/or worrisome. Example if you add 100 ml vs adding 500ml.

Thanks for your inputs

acumenhokie 05-30-2013 07:26 AM

How long are you going between oil changes and what brand/weight are you running?

Looks like historically it's 1qt per 5k miles. Not sure if it would be any different for the 5th gen since it's still an EJ25.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...oni-14926.html

Rutchard 05-30-2013 08:06 AM

How much oil did you have to add? How often do you check your oil?

4thsubaru 05-30-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acumenhokie (Post 4450504)
How long are you going between oil changes and what brand/weight are you running?

Looks like historically it's 1qt per 5k miles. Not sure if it would be any different for the 5th gen since it's still an EJ25.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...oni-14926.html

600km (3700 mile) per manual recommendation 5W-30 because of the cold weather

I have put in less than a quart each time

4thsubaru 05-30-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rutchard (Post 4450551)
How much oil did you have to add? How often do you check your oil?

on both occasion about half a quart and I was close to oil change time.
Unfortubately not often enough, the oil light for level warns me first.

dawkins20 05-31-2013 11:09 AM

My 4th gen didnt use much oil at all, the 2011 LGT has consistently used 1qt/slightly less than 3000 miles. Slightly annoying since the pistons/block are the same so I'm not sure why the consumption is higher.

eckseleven 05-31-2013 11:44 AM

Some cars use more oil than others. Same goes for 4th gens. I had to top off my factory fill once. During the time I ran Mobil 1 I had to add about 1/5 qt between oil changes. Since the switch to T6 and then to Edge Syntec, I don't have top it off all. Oil level stays at the full mark the whole time (3750m OCIs).

4thsubaru 05-31-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eckseleven (Post 4452549)
Some cars use more oil than others. Same goes for 4th gens. I had to top off my factory fill once. During the time I ran Mobil 1 I had to add about 1/5 qt between oil changes. Since the switch to T6 and then to Edge Syntec, I don't have top it off all. Oil level stays at the full mark the whole time (3750m OCIs).

I think I will make that switch to syntetic

hmmrdwn 05-31-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eckseleven (Post 4452549)
Some cars use more oil than others. Same goes for 4th gens. I had to top off my factory fill once. During the time I ran Mobil 1 I had to add about 1/5 qt between oil changes. Since the switch to T6 and then to Edge Syntec, I don't have top it off all. Oil level stays at the full mark the whole time (3750m OCIs).

I ran T6 and the mileage went down. I think T6 would be great with a turbo though.

nm+ 05-31-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4thsubaru (Post 4450560)
600km (3700 mile) per manual recommendation 5W-30 because of the cold weather

I have put in less than a quart each time

This is absolutely nothing to worry about. 1qt per 3700mi is very normal.

SurlyOldManMN 06-01-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nm+ (Post 4453370)
This is absolutely nothing to worry about. 1qt per 3700mi is very normal.

Amazingly, this appears to be true. Especially lately for us 5th gen folks.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:29 AM.


LegacyGT.com