Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   New Legacy Owner (2nd Attempt) (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206547)

Sherv33 04-26-2013 08:37 PM

New Legacy Owner (2nd Attempt)

3 Attachment(s)
So I posted a "Newbie"Thread a few weeks back that never get posted. This is my second go at it....

I recently got rid of my 2010 Mustang GT (still sad about this) because I needed a more reliable vehicle in New England (moved up from Maryland). I ended up buying a 2008 Legacy GT 5-speed Manual. I bought the car with higher mileage (75K) and some minor scratches and dings but got it at the max price I wanted to spend at the time. I wanted to find an inexpensive AWD vehicle that still had a little giddy-up. Plus finding a 5-speed manual was a challenge in itself so I grabbed what I could (blue not my favorite color). The car came with some mods, including CAI and Greddy Cat-Back Exhaust. I have two questions for the forum:
1. How can I figure out what model of Greddy exhaust my car has?
2. What sort of high mileage issues should I anticipate with a 2008 Legacy GT? Anything I need to keep an eye out for? (I plan to do A LOT of highway driving).

Oh, and if I were to continue to MOD the vehicle what would be the next step in line after CAI and Exhaust?

Thanks.

JJBerk 04-26-2013 08:42 PM

Welcome! Enjoy, and 75K is not high mileage for these cars. The rest of the gang will, I'm sure, chime in on mods!

scoobyscoodle 04-26-2013 11:25 PM

Welcome!

wurkenman 04-27-2013 06:43 AM

Welcome.

DeltaNu1142 04-27-2013 06:46 AM

Welcome to the forum - don't bother with a CAI unless you're just trying to make more noise.

coppertone 04-27-2013 06:57 AM

Welcome and to be the best mod at this stage is FULL maintenance.

BigBad 04-27-2013 07:47 AM

Welcome. You have a Greddy Evo 2 catback. You can tell by the cans. There were two types made for the legacy Evo2 and Sp2. I have an Sp2 on my wagon. They are well made with smooth interior welds and flanges and very light in weight.

PtPixel 04-28-2013 10:05 PM

Welcome!

PeterJMC 04-30-2013 01:16 AM

Welcome!

SpecBFan 05-04-2013 02:43 PM

Welcome!

The next mod you should consider is making sure it was tuned.

minuccims 05-06-2013 08:07 PM

Second that to ensure proper tune. Bren tuning may be near you. They are a vender on this forum and may help you ensure the car has the appropriate tune.

Enjoy!

Sherv33 06-10-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBad (Post 4407934)
Welcome. You have a Greddy Evo 2 catback. You can tell by the cans. There were two types made for the legacy Evo2 and Sp2. I have an Sp2 on my wagon. They are well made with smooth interior welds and flanges and very light in weight.

Does this exhaust provide any sort of power gains?

Sherv33 06-10-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpecBFan (Post 4417388)
Welcome!

The next mod you should consider is making sure it was tuned.

What's the easiest way to do this, have a dealer check it out?

Tehnation 06-10-2013 05:04 PM

the general order of engine mods from what I have learned is , uppipe(you probably dont need an uppipe) and downpipe first, first thing that maxes out is the turbo and intercooler, after those are changed your fuel injectors and fuel pump will be maxed so those will need to be changed if you want more power, at this point any tuner can get you to around 300-340 whp, I think thats when intake catback exhaust make more significant gains, or somewhere around 300hp, but if you arent at that level intake is a waste of money, only for looks at that point, I think its the same with catback, if you arent pushing stage 2+ catback is mainly for sound and slight gains.

With that power you will need most likely stiffer sway bars , some endlinks, front lower control arm bushings and maybe the rear, change any bad wheel bearings,

for brakes, you have tons of options, bbk's , aftermarket slotted rotters with upgraded pads or take brakes from an sti.

But before any of that make sure all the maintanence on car has been taken care of. Spark plugs, clean injectors, check for boost leaks, if you see any loose or worn hoses either replace or zip tie the hell out of it, check your front control arm bushings, check shaftplay in turbo, make sure your O2 sensor and maf sensor are reading properly, clean maf sensor with maf cleaner, new air filter, check differential fluid in rear and tranny/diff fluid in front, make sure your engine isnt burning excessive oil, check for oil leaks like valve cover gasket, most common place for engine to leak oil. And get good tires.

Brett 06-10-2013 05:17 PM

the mileage is fine. that's what i bought my 08 at. now i'm at 99,4xx miles.