Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels/Tires (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Choosing Summer Tires... Help? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205522)

Turkeylord 04-11-2013 12:15 PM

Choosing Summer Tires... Help?

So here's my cart at tire rack, lol...

http://i.imgur.com/EqWlRLn.png

So far, I'm leaning heavily towards the Continental ExtremeContact DW tires. Dry grip won't be quite as good as the others, but I'm sure it will be light years ahead of my old Cooper all-seasons. It's the lightest of the bunch at 20# each, has the highest treadwear rating @ 340 (I know it's relative), and is also the cheapest by far. Reviews say the tire is very quiet, which is also a plus for me. Versus my old setup, I'll be dropping almost 8# per corner. :wub:

Other random thoughts:
I like that the BFGs are made in the US.
Star Specs are probably too noisy for me.
Love the Ventus R-S3 tread pattern the most.

Anything I'm missing?

N.sane 04-11-2013 12:30 PM

I was in the same predicament. I ended up going with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Car and Driver did some testing on an autocross course and the Super Sport was posting lap times in the same territory as the Extreme Summer tires. However, it's about as light and comfortable as the Continental DW.

My set should be arriving torromow.

Turkeylord 04-11-2013 01:21 PM

I looked at those too, and just took another look.

+ Made in the USA
- 2# heavier (probably not a huge deal)
- $90 more for the set
- I don't care for the asthetics as much (I'll get over it)

BoozeRS05 04-11-2013 01:22 PM

I really liked the set of KDW2's I had. They were noisy, but that didn't bother me too much compared to the performance gain.

I've heard very good things about the RS3's.

If I were you though, I'd probably be going with the Conti's or as Nsane said Michelin Pilot SS's. My car is a DD, not going to the track.

bucko3the7man 04-11-2013 01:36 PM

What are you going to be using them for? If autoX is in there, the Z2 will be phenomenal. I have the Z1 and they're not very noisy. I've never run them but have heard the KDW2 are noisy.

Don't get the RS3, scary in the wet. Take a look at the Hankook ventus v12, great for DD with the occasional autocross. You probably won't see the limit of those on the street.

Turkeylord 04-11-2013 01:39 PM

No autoX, but I will be back to the drag strip. Don't need all-out cornering grip at the expense of treadwear & noise. I'll check out the Ventus V12.

Thanks for the advice so far guys :)

bucko3the7man 04-11-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkeylord (Post 4385518)
No autoX, but I will be back to the drag strip. Don't need all-out cornering grip at the expense of treadwear & noise. I'll check out the Ventus V12.

Thanks for the advice so far guys :)

There's currently an $80 rebate on four ventus v12s purchased before June 30th I think. They're cheap to begin with so this is even better.

BoozeRS05 04-11-2013 02:07 PM

My brother runs the v12's on his 350z and he's been very happy with them, price certainly helps.

.:Catalyst:. 04-11-2013 02:08 PM

I'm quite pleased with my V12s as well and they do well in the rain.

Turkeylord 04-11-2013 02:28 PM

Price is definitely attractive, but they're 4# heavier than the Contis...

Shipped prices, after rebates:
V12s: $436
DWs: $546
PSSs: $634

Definitely worth taking a good look at.

.:Catalyst:. 04-11-2013 03:20 PM

Wow they have come down in price in a year too. I paid about $120 more pre-rebate pricing last year for the same size v12s (tempting to order up a set of 235/45R17s)! I know you mentioned the weight, but also consider the load index and speed rating are better with the V12 (to go along with more weight). 94Y vs. 91W with the DWs.

stuck686 04-11-2013 03:41 PM

dw > V12

best all around summer: michelin pss

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP

Rs3 is a more extreme category. expect quick wear and poor hydroplaning resistance from rs3.

Rs3, bridgestone Re11 and z1 star spec are common competitors

Drift Motion 04-11-2013 06:58 PM

I'm tracking on my V12, wishing I had RS3...

I don't think you should get RS3 for DD action...

bucko3the7man 04-11-2013 08:09 PM

DD you can't beat the v12. I know guys that autocross on the v12 all the time, so they'll stand up to that too. If money is no option then PSS is the best.

Subadozer 04-13-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drift Motion (Post 4386120)
I'm tracking on my V12, wishing I had RS3...

I don't think you should get RS3 for DD action...

Last year when I was ready to replace the A/S I had been running in the summer with a real summer tire I was ready to get a set of V12's but they aren't made in 225/55 17. Because I had to make a decision on the spot without further research I ended up with a set of Hankook v4's, which are listed as A/S but have a tread pattern very similar to the RS3's. My car is a DD and I've been super happy with these, especially in wet conditions, which is why I'm commenting, being as despite the similar tread pattern there is apparently some sort of significant difference between the tread on the V4 and RS3 if they perform so differently on wet roads.