Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Help a newb, turbo questions. (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205310)

03protege 04-08-2013 05:00 PM

Help a newb, turbo questions.

Hello everyone, wonderful site and I have been doing a lot of reading the past few days but can't seem to get what I am looking for so I thought I would ask. I found a (halfway) nice legacy gt going up for auction tomorrow and need a few answers to help me make a decision on purchasing it.

It's a 2005 GT with 45k~ miles, but it is missing some parts under the hood.

I know the inter-cooler is not there (obviously :lol:) and from the research I've done so far I believe that means the BOV is missing as well.

The car seemed to run pretty good, no weird vibrations/knocks, solid idle, smooth revving etc.

My biggest concern is there is a decent amount of smoke, but I believe this is all originating from the turbo. Now keep in mind there is no intercooler and the turbo just exits into the engine bay.

Whenever I rev not only does smoke come out of the tailpipes, but it also appears to be coming out of the turbo where it would normally hook up into the intercooler.

So the question- Would a turbo with a bad oil seal smoke on both hot and cold sides of the turbo?

And the next question would be, What am I looking at spending on getting this thing running? I checked the classified and there did not appear to be to many take off turbo systems from people upgrading.

The car has an automatic so I am not really looking for upping the power too much just getting it driveable.

Thanks, Ryan

MiniStiGuy 04-09-2013 07:11 AM

Moved to correct section of the forums.

rlefevre 04-13-2013 01:49 PM

I do not have the answers to all your questions, but there is one big thing that jumps out at me from your post and tells me you really need to research more into this car and how it is set up right now:

A legacy GT cannot run without the intercooler, at least not well. The intercooler connects the air from the turbo to the intake of the engine. Without it there is no way that any air is getting from the turbo into the engine. Maybe there is some additional piping like a fmic or something going on. That is what you need to find out. But I can guarantee you the car is not "running smooth" as you say with no intercooler in place.

EDIT: I saw the pictures in the other thread you posted. That car is indeed missing the intercooler. There is no way that car is running as well as you described, if at all. There would be serious vacuum issues not to mention complete separation of the intake and exhaust circuits.

rlefevre 04-13-2013 01:57 PM

Further thoughts on what is likely wrong with the car... It sounds like the turbo is blown. Assume you will need an entirely new turbo. This can cost $300-$1000 or even more depending on if you can find a good used one, if you decide to upgrade, how many additional parts you need, etc. This is also all assuming the engine is not damaged in any way, which is a pretty big assumption based on your description.

Overall I would say it is a pretty big risk. If you can get the car for an extremely good price, it might be worth it, but you need to be prepared to replace at minimum the turbo, all the way up to possibly completely rebuild the engine, and anything else wrong with the car.

careercadaver 04-13-2013 03:13 PM

There are other corners you bee to check before assuming this is the turbo. I see why you would think that, and it could still be blown but there are other possible issues that could cause the car to burn oil.

Blue smoke out of the tail pipe could be a blown turbo, can seal or ring land issue (extremely common on the 2.5L). So this could be quite a bit more extensive of a repair than just slapping a vf40 (05 LGT turbo). Though you should easily be able to find one in decent condition for $400. As mentioned above you could pay over $1000 to go new or upgrade depending on your selection...

IMO there are too many variables and unless you're "stealing" this its not likely worth the effort...you might get away with it just being a turbo or it could be as in depth as replacing the shortblock...

Either way being that the intercooler is missing its doing damage to have the vehicle run...