Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   slightly cracked turbo inlet hose :( (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205110)

lingling1337 04-05-2013 04:18 PM

slightly cracked turbo inlet hose :(

Its cracked to just about the band clamp... I can't imagine being a big deal but since I'm turning up the boost with my new turbo I want to be safe... should I go with an OEM replacement or pay double for aftermarket? I probably won't swap turbos again so I thought OEM would be OK.

lingling1337 04-06-2013 11:23 AM

I just got a new OEM. It was $106 from my local dealership. Really bites because I have all my new parts ready to drop in but I won't get the hose til Wednesday.

wurkenman 04-06-2013 03:05 PM

If you are going through the trouble of changing, just put on an aftermarket one. Not a job you want to do more than once.

lingling1337 04-10-2013 03:43 PM

So I don't want to remove the intake manifold when I replace the pipe... but how will I replace the lines that connect to the inlet hose closest to the turbo? They are wedged tightly under the manifold and I could probably get them off but I don't see how I could get leverage to put them back on.

Would like to know so I can overnight order intake mani gaskets if that's the way I need to go. Don't need any more delays on this project.

Max Capacity 04-10-2013 03:49 PM

Lot's of guy's have put in intakes, there should be more help here son with that.

If not, I would remove the PS pump and alternator, just lay them to the side. It must give you a lot of room and better line of sight. they are easy to remove.

Remove the bolts that hold the intake to the TGV's and replace the o-rings with the newer larger ones.

The intake is a PITA to lift, but it can be removed. Just remember to tighten the fuel line clamps under the intake.

lingling1337 04-10-2013 05:09 PM

Sorry man that didn't help me at all. Even with ps pump and alternator out of the way I don't see how you get to the fittings closest to turbo.

I didn't remove the intake just the elbow that goes to the turbo inlet.

lingling1337 04-11-2013 07:59 AM

Bump any help removing these last two fittings? Is it true that I can just pop off the large white plastic fitting then wrestle the other fitting off by pulling on the inlet pipe?

lingling1337 04-11-2013 09:38 AM

Ok unless someone has a reason why not to I'm about to hack off that fitting with the white plastic piece (that is a pcv piece right?)

F1inspiredLGT 04-11-2013 09:41 AM

I just did this last month without taking off the manifold. It's a PITA, but very doable. You'll need to pull the valve cover vent tube off, take the whole BPV hose off, disconnect the PCV hose connection, and the remaining smaller hoses up front. Once everything is free and clear, it will take a little wiggling to pull it out. You do not have to remove the P/S pump or alternator to complete this.

lingling1337 04-11-2013 09:51 AM

Do you mean I should pull the vent hose off of the engine block? Because the problem I'm having is with the pcv connection I can't seem to pry it off- I'm pryin between the connection and the plastic fitting on the inlet. I also don't see how I would easily hook it back up to my new oem inlet.

Bov return is the other one thats left and I think I could manage that connection. But getting this pcv off and trying to think how ill put it back on is giving me hell.

F1inspiredLGT 04-11-2013 10:14 AM

You don't need to take off the whole PCV assembly. Just the connection to the inlet. Don't try to take the hose itself off, it's part of the clip attached to the white connector. Once you take the clip connection off the hose will pop off.

BoozeRS05 04-11-2013 10:48 AM

I'm dreading this job myself, but mines showing some cracking and oil dampness near the turbo..

Just recently replaced the PCV, which was a PITA itself.

lingling1337 04-11-2013 10:58 AM

Sorry for being so thick but I don't know what you mean about a clip connection... is what I have circled in red the connection you're talking about? I've been prying at that with no luck. Orange dashes are where I wanted to cut, if the connection just pulls apart it seems it would be easier to cut it off and then pull the fitting out maybe with pliers. The way it sits right now I barely have room to pull the connection apart, not being attached to the inlet would help a lot.

Green circle is the the BPV return and that one should just slide off right?

http://i.imgur.com/SLKb4YZ.jpg?1l

F1inspiredLGT 04-11-2013 11:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Circle in red, there's a clip that this slides into.

lingling1337 04-11-2013 01:09 PM

Ok thanks for the pic that really clarifies things. Looks like I should be able to pry the clip up and wiggle the connection out? Ill give it a shot here soon.

Did it go pretty smoothly reconnecting it? There's definitely not much room to manipulate it in there.