Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-purchase Questions (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Higher Milage 2.5i Anything I Should Know? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203799)

Varano14 03-17-2013 04:38 PM

Higher Milage 2.5i Anything I Should Know?

Hi guys first post on the site, hope I'm doing everything right.

But I'm looking at purchasing a 2007 2.5i Legacy with 100k miles on it.
I've done plenty of forums searching and have not been able to turn up much on the none turbo models.
So I turned to the internet, and found lots of reviews saying that as long as you take care of them these cars can last a long time.

Also the dealer, is a family friend so I trust that she won't intentionally sell me garbage, but she doesn't deal in Subaru's specifically so there is the possibility that she over looked something.

So my question to you is when I bring it home over night for a test drive what should I look and listen for.

Lastly I'm only just graduating high school and haven't had the education in cars that some people had but am very eager to learn so if you point something out please be specific.

Thanks in advance!!!

c-lo 03-17-2013 06:06 PM

welcome

you need to find out what kind of maintenance has been done to it. specifically timing belt, water pump and other belts.

andnyleswillriot 03-17-2013 06:44 PM

if maintenance is up to date as well as other parts as mentioned above, 100k is nothing for the n/a 2.5's! they're strong engines.

Varano14 03-17-2013 07:12 PM

Thank you both I will be sure to check on those things

kred 03-17-2013 08:11 PM

100k is higher mileage? That's still a baby in my opinion. Taking good care of your car, it should last like 300-400k or more no problem. BTW, is this 07 an auto or manual? Manuals are a lot funner to drive, they feel faster.

andnyleswillriot 03-18-2013 08:45 AM

^unless you buy a throttle controller for the drive-by wire unit. Makes the AT jump super quickly, really fun to drive.

Varano14 03-18-2013 08:57 AM

It sadly is an automatic but i will have to look into the drive by wire unit sound perfect for me:P

andnyleswillriot 03-18-2013 09:19 AM

the drive by wire unit is already in the car, it electronically controls the throttle of your car then the throttle controlling device hooks up to that (located on the top of the gas pedal) and let's you control the amount of throttle at the push of a pedal in 3 modes (sport, eco and normal)

It also has use on the manual but I've noticed far more admiration for it from AT users like me... haha

Varano14 03-18-2013 09:33 AM

Sorry if I'm still not getting this straight. So this is something already in the car I may just have to tweak setting?

Or is it two separate things one being there already and one I would have to add?

Like i said some what clueless with stuff lol

09obpleg 03-18-2013 10:25 AM

Two separate things, the drive by wire is already on the car, the controller is aftermarket

Varano14 03-18-2013 12:02 PM

Alright I got it thank you whats the price range of the after market part?

andnyleswillriot 03-18-2013 02:15 PM

if you know how to private message someone, contact pansontw. He's the one who sells the product and can give you loads more info. it only cost me 125 or 135 shipped I believe. so worth it though, the sport mode is so fun.

sorry for not being clearer, didn't read the last sentence in your original post til now. haha

welcome to the forums anyway!

Varano14 03-18-2013 04:11 PM

alright I will contact him and no worries that helped alot thank you

uptown4784 03-18-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andnyleswillriot (Post 4346693)
the drive by wire unit is already in the car, it electronically controls the throttle of your car then the throttle controlling device hooks up to that (located on the top of the gas pedal) and let's you control the amount of throttle at the push of a pedal in 3 modes (sport, eco and normal)

It also has use on the manual but I've noticed far more admiration for it from AT users like me... haha

might have to check this out. is installation hard?

andnyleswillriot 03-18-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uptown4784 (Post 4347534)
might have to check this out. is installation hard?

not at all. just plug and play, they recommend taking your gas pedal off to install it but I got it in without doing that. You have be kind of creative where you put all the wires but that's about as hard as it gets.

here's a good thread to look at: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...t=ntd+throttle