Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Naturally Aspirated Powertrains (2.5i, 3.0R, 3.6R) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Might get a 2.5i Instead of a GT sadly, Headers Q's? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203604)

Blue Shark 03-14-2013 11:55 PM

Might get a 2.5i Instead of a GT sadly, Headers Q's?

So, I want the Subaru Rumble, already found out the 2.5i doesn't have the same sound as a GT due to the motor difference and no up/ down pipe. So, I'm looking at the Borla headers, how long does this job take? What would I need? Is it a pain to do or easily?
Also does anyone know of a quote I could get to just have a muffler shop do it? If I already had the headers, would it be like, 200 or 150 extra to have someone do it?
I would rather get a GT, but still, I just want that boxer rumble.

LosAngelesLGT 03-15-2013 12:35 AM

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...-using-stereo/

Blue Shark 03-15-2013 12:38 AM

Ha I remember hearing about that, hilarious.

LosAngelesLGT 03-15-2013 12:43 AM

Sorry to troll but I thought you might see the humor in it.

Blue Shark 03-15-2013 02:03 AM

It's fine, I just have to settle with a 2.5i instead of a GT and I just have to hear that sound.

fahr_side 03-15-2013 02:09 AM

Here's a wonderful idea from Sonory, the SESP engine sound processor. It takes engine RPM and load data from sensors, but I believe there is also one which the OBD-II port and processes an engine sound file you can then pass to your car's stereo system via the aux-in. They have simulation files for things like Ferrari V12s, Bugatti W16s etc. Here's one of a big-block running in a WRX, though it will work the same in an n/a car.

They might be able to work something up from samples from an old WRX or 1303 Beetle if you inquire... should get you what you want.

Theheatfan33 03-15-2013 02:37 AM

I am wondering the same thing too if you happen to get an answer let me know.

end0 03-15-2013 02:41 AM

Why not get the GT?

Blue Shark 03-15-2013 03:16 AM

Well, my parents are helping me purchase the car, first it was no manual, then they are thinking a turbo is bad, and un-reliable due to all of their friends talking trash, who are all N/a muscle car fan boys. So from hearing that turbos blow and they kill the life of the engine, and all of the false info on a STOCK TURBO, if you maintain it will last years. And the GT engines are built to handle the compression of the turbo, so it doesn't shorten the life span of the engine.
Yet they think after months of studying, looking for a good deal, finding good deals and getting shot down for the stupidest things. They think that i'm a "know it all".
Every time I try to prove a point to them they are like, "Ha, you think you just know everything don't you?".
Parent logic, just because you are older doesn't mean you know s*** for new cars, when all you know is how to change the oil, and put gas in it.
Sorry for the rant, it gets old getting laughed at for knowing what i'm talking about and being mocked for being younger than them.

Anyway, back to the topic, maybe i'll get lucky and get a GT, but if I don't I just need to know this stuff.

fahr_side 03-15-2013 03:41 AM

I don't mean to be unkind, but how about you log off the computer, and go earn the money to buy your own choice of car? Your cash, your choice.

hassa 03-15-2013 05:28 AM

They (your parents that is) aren't completely wrong - buying a high mileage LGT as your first car is probably not the best idea. Just saying you'll likely need to dump some money into it soon enough and then you'd REALLy never hear the end of it.

fahr_side 03-15-2013 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hassa (Post 4341703)
...you'll likely need to dump some money into it soon enough and then you'd REALLy never hear the end of it.

Also a good point. Just look at all the shit that spc2125 gets because he can't or won't fix his problems properly. ;)

Personally, if I had to drive something low budget and n/a I'd probably go with something a bit smaller and lighter than the Legacy, like an older Impreza 2.5i or 2.5RS.

GEE-OTTO 03-15-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Shark (Post 4341575)
So, I want the Subaru Rumble, already found out the 2.5i doesn't have the same sound as a GT due to the motor difference and no up/ down pipe. So, I'm looking at the Borla headers, how long does this job take? What would I need? Is it a pain to do or easily?
Also does anyone know of a quote I could get to just have a muffler shop do it? If I already had the headers, would it be like, 200 or 150 extra to have someone do it?
I would rather get a GT, but still, I just want that boxer rumble.

Search "UEL" in this section of the forums. :redface:

bomberlegacy 03-15-2013 02:37 PM

Rallisport Racing UELs. Great quality.

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/...9-19203636.jpg

fahr_side 03-15-2013 09:32 PM

The very last thing I'd do is buy the car you don't want (the 2.5i) and then spend more money making it even less powerful and less efficient just for this silly blub-blub sound.