Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   best daily options for height/ comfort? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203561)

driving 03-14-2013 01:24 PM

best daily options for height/ comfort?

So bought my 05lgt last year and it came with eibachs/kybs. Previous owner said they ad 20k on both. Prob is they are smooth on small bumps and bottoming out on big ones (suspect shocks are blowen . Ive searched here for days reading different opinions and am leaning toward konis full soft setting for daily here in LA. Roads can never close to be fixed so its really ruff.

Option 1 keep eibachs and add konis
Option 2 get specb/ lgt and konis. Are spec b and lgt springs truly identical?)
Option 3 get pinks and run bilstein rev C's

I'm. Looking for a smooth nice handling ride. I do like the ride height of my eibachs but am sure I'm going to have to get some more travel for a better ride.

.:Catalyst:. 03-14-2013 02:54 PM

Go with option 1. The Eibachs aren't well suited for your stock KYBs resulting in increased wear and not a real great ride quality. Full soft on the Konis may result in being bouncy if that is underdamped to the spring rate of the Eibach springs. If you like the ride height of the Eibachs, this is your best option (and can dial out the bounce adjusting from full soft and moving clicks towards firm - just enough to match the spring rate).

LGT and spec.B springs are the same. Pinks will be milder drop than your Eibachs, but the USDM spec.B Bils (JDM Rev.C) are underdamped for the pinks. Bilstein HDs would be better suited (firmer). Cost wise just going with the Konis (inserts used with your existing front KYB housings and rears are a replacement), will be the most effective, and satisfy the goals you mentioned.

KCwagon 03-14-2013 06:05 PM

I vote for the Konis. Lifetime Warranty. Adjustable. Liveable. Auto-X-able.

Dujo 03-14-2013 06:30 PM

Option 1. Keep the Eibachs and get Konis. Everyone running around talking about getting Epic springs are buying a remanufacture of the Eibach Pro Kit that is no longer made for the Legacy. These are good springs and it sounds like they've got some life in 'em yet. Enjoy!

scoobyscoodle 03-14-2013 08:29 PM

#1.

MyWifezLEGi 03-18-2013 12:37 AM

#1 , I run koni + h tech

Cone_Killer 03-18-2013 08:44 AM

Koni

SCHM1AN 03-19-2013 12:18 PM

If it's comfort you're after, don't get the Bilstein HD/Pink setup. It's a great suspension for aggressive driving and autocross, but you feel every bump in the road. It won't break your back, but it's definitely firm. The drop is nice though. I went from stock to a 2-finger gap front and rear

driving 03-19-2013 01:57 PM

So I'm guessing pink and koni. It just feels like there's no travel in the eibachs. I trimmed bump stop in front maybe have to do the same for the rear.

Gire 03-19-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCHM1AN (Post 4348753)
If it's comfort you're after, don't get the Bilstein HD/Pink setup. It's a great suspension for aggressive driving and autocross, but you feel every bump in the road. It won't break your back, but it's definitely firm. The drop is nice though. I went from stock to a 2-finger gap front and rear

We might be talking about 2 different Bilstein strut versions (I know there are 3 JDM versions and an American version too), but my JDM bilsteins (rev. B)with JDM pink springs are extremely comfortable and have been for 2 years now. It's very stock-like for sure, just more responsive when pushed hard.
I chose this set up after running aftermarket iON springs on my stock struts for about 5 years which made for a much harsher ride.

BarManBean 03-19-2013 02:05 PM

Just go back to stock, man. KYBs and stock springs if you are looking for comfort. If you want more sportiness add konis and stick with stock springs.

SCHM1AN 03-19-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gire (Post 4348955)
We might be talking about 2 different Bilstein strut versions (I know there are 3 JDM versions and an American version too), but my JDM bilsteins (rev. B)with JDM pink springs are extremely comfortable and have been for 2 years now. It's very stock-like for sure, just more responsive when pushed hard.
I chose this set up after running aftermarket iON springs on my stock struts for about 5 years which made for a much harsher ride.

It's likely that we're talking about two similarly-named, yet very different setups. The Bilstein HDs I have are the American version and have been paired with JDM Pinks

dan04103 03-19-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarManBean (Post 4348959)
Just go back to stock, man. KYBs and stock springs if you are looking for comfort. If you want more sportiness add konis and stick with stock springs.

This was the route (Koni/OEMsprings) I took and am quite happy for DD needs.

Underdog 03-19-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCHM1AN (Post 4348972)
It's likely that we're talking about two similarly-named, yet very different setups. The Bilstein HDs I have are the American version and have been paired with JDM Pinks

Didn't you buy yours from mr_hicksta?

SCHM1AN 03-19-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Underdog (Post 4348983)
Didn't you buy yours from mr_hicksta?

Yes I did

Here is the link