Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   US VS JDM Compare (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203072)

MRLancaster 03-07-2013 09:05 PM

US Model VS Japanese Model

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k1...psc4f522d3.png

Was just looking at some Legacy TS's and noticed the grille was different. So I decided to look closer at things, and realised there are more differences than I thought. I knew they couldn't be the same, that's impossible. :lol:

MRLancaster 03-07-2013 09:07 PM

Not that it really makes a difference, just thought I would share.

Gire 03-07-2013 10:06 PM

The changes are due to bumper crash standards, I'm guessing, and they had to change the bumper and then the lines of the hood, etc, to make each country edition look good in it's own right.

Same with the 05-09 Legacys. But with the old style, only the bumper was changed, and the grille was shaped slightly different, and you didn't need to swap headlights, fenders, and bumpers to obtain a JDM look, only the bumper, and the grille.

maybe more is required to make the 2010+ USDM to a JDM?

MRLancaster 03-08-2013 04:59 AM

Old style as in what generation? With the BE & BH's the Japanese model and the US ones are COMPLETELY different cars. Not just the bumper and grille.

Perscitus 03-08-2013 06:52 AM

Yeah. And then there is this guy from Peru who posted up some great shots of a brand spankin' new 2013 LGT in essentially JDM/ADM trim sold in South America.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4280754&postcount=159

I checked out the Subaru of Peru website and I'm jealous. They get the JDM/ADM cars, 2013+ 2.5GT with an automatic (I still definetly would *** that), 3.6R in the Outback and a regular 'station-wagon' versions of the Legacy too (at least based on their YouTube promo videos). I bet they'll also get the DIT engine before we see it in the US/Canada. Ugh. Someone please please IMPORT these!

http://www.subaru.com.pe/

On a more serious note, Peru or other South or Central American countries that import Subarus from the East and have a dealership network might just be the cheapest (read closest) source for us for 'JDM' spec parts. Check out all those color-coded US-looking mirrors with turn signals on all the Legacies. Looks very much like the ones on the 2013 Outback special trim model (minus the ugly gray paintjob). Me wants.

acumenhokie 03-08-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perscitus (Post 4329532)
I checked out the Subaru of Peru website and I'm jealous. They get the JDM/ADM cars, 2013+ 2.5GT with an automatic

It's personal opinion but I've never been jealous of a car with an automatic when there's a manual option available. :cool:

Does look pretty sweet though (The one Magopra posted. The one on the Subaru site looks funky for some reason).

michelino1968 03-08-2013 08:03 AM

Same here - we have had no changes since the first 2010 generation (Sedans and Wagons 2.0i and 2.0D), while in Germany in the meantime they got:
- the 2012 model (monitor, backup-camera, mooroof) and now
- the 2013 facelift (with HID's, nav, backup-camera, moonroof, leather+electric+memory seats, keyless entry+go, rear air-vents, USB-link, winker comfort-flash), in 2.0i, 2.5i and 2.0D
:spin::spin::spin:

But at least the good news is that I can always buy there and bring the car over without import fees/duty clearance, just having it to be registered/plated.
...Or source stuff from there in case it's compatible with my 2010.

sschmelcke 03-08-2013 11:15 AM

I know everyone hates automatics but my commute is 40 min of traffic and I dont drive a lot on the weekends. I just cant justify an manual anymore unless im tracking it. I do miss shifting but the auto is fantastic when all i do is sit doing 5mph for 60 miles a day.

fredrik94087 03-08-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sschmelcke (Post 4330110)
I know everyone hates automatics but my commute is 40 min of traffic and I dont drive a lot on the weekends. I just cant justify an manual anymore unless im tracking it. I do miss shifting but the auto is fantastic when all i do is sit doing 5mph for 60 miles a day.

Try 50 minutes with an aftermarket clutch...you just get used to it and walk funny cause your left calf is a lot stronger...:lol:

fredrik94087 03-08-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Try 50 minutes with an aftermarket clutch...you just get used to it and walk funny cause your left calf is a lot stronger...:lol:

OP...thanks for sharing. I like the sharper lines on the JDM.

sschmelcke 03-08-2013 12:09 PM

Been there done that. I'm old now. 24 years of playing hockey has destroyed most my joints.

Kaijubei 03-08-2013 01:01 PM

good eye, MRLancaster. I was thinking of getting JDM mirror covers + the signals until a second/third look at JDM vs. USDM mirrors showed that JDM mirrors are more squared while the USDM mirrors are more rounded. =/ I'll have to get creative if I want JDM like mirror signals.

Gborja888 03-08-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

In China, 90% of the car here is automatic because of the traffic jam here. :mad: Most of the LGT owners have auto trans here.

Brainchild Customs 03-08-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaijubei (Post 4330308)
good eye, MRLancaster. I was thinking of getting JDM mirror covers + the signals until a second/third look at JDM vs. USDM mirrors showed that JDM mirrors are more squared while the USDM mirrors are more rounded. =/ I'll have to get creative if I want JDM like mirror signals.

Yep. I almost ordered the PROVA mirror overlays, but realized that the mirrors are completely different shapes.

Also, I can confirm that for the GT's, the hood scoop shape is different between USDM and JDM. Ask me how I know:rolleyes:

As much as I like parts of the JDM car, I actually prefer the USDM front bumper (for 2010's). I like the larger "mouth" opening below the grill.

sschmelcke 03-08-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gborja888 (Post 4330577)
In China, 90% of the car here is automatic because of the traffic jam here. :mad: Most of the LGT owners have auto trans here.

I can only imagine. Your population is much more crowded and ours. Must be hell to drive. My problem is I live in a small state with crappy roads. That and everyone thinks they are new yorkers or bostoners