Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transmissions (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   CM FX350 installed (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203024)

RedDawg 03-07-2013 07:20 AM

CM FX350 installed

Just had the clutchmasters FX350 installed yesterday, still breaking it in, but i was surprised that the clutch pedal is easier to depress than OEM. After having a few ACT clutches on other cars i was expecting a stiffer pedal.

Does anyone else have this clutch?, i know it's relatively new.

.:Catalyst:. 03-07-2013 10:02 AM

I'll be picking up one from Underdog in the next 2-3 weeks. Planning this with OEM SMFW and a TSK3 kit. Interested in your impressions after break in (although I'm buying it regardless). I was planning the 300 until the 350 came out with the full face option.

BarManBean 03-07-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .:Catalyst:. (Post 4328066)
I'll be picking up one from Underdog in the next 2-3 weeks. Planning this with OEM SMFW and a TSK3 kit. Interested in your impressions after break in (although I'm buying it regardless). I was planning the 300 until the 350 came out with the full face option.

What's the benefit / trade off of going with the full face option?

.:Catalyst:. 03-07-2013 10:12 AM

I'll quote someone much more knowledgable on the subject than I :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BAC5.2 (Post 3388731)
It has to do with engagement.

For a given force, pressure is inversely proportional to area. A decrease in area, means an increase in pressure.

So full-face clutches are more easily modulated than puck/pad style clutches. But they can't hold as much power.

I want a full-face, because I don't race the car and I don't intend to. I won't be making more than 300whp with a 5-speed still in it, and I won't be launching it either. Puck/pad clutches are also typically noisier than full-face clutches, and this isn't a race car.

Full face clutches also have more surface area, so they heat up less readily and have more material so they wear less quickly.

I had an unsprung 4-puck in my old car. It was easy enough to drive every day, but it was just too aggressive and unforgiving for a relaxing "GT" type car.

The FX200 intrigues me, because of the carbon kevlar face material. The wear life on kevlar based materials is typically astronomical as long as they don't overheat. Once overheated and glazed, they don't tend to return back to their original state like an organic full-carbon based clutch will (where you can "wear off" the glaze).

That being said, Clutchmasters has implemented a new "Formula Button" full-face disc. From their marketing jargon, "The FX350 clutch system has a higher holding capacity than a segmented Kevlar lining without compromising the street friendly characteristic."

BarManBean 03-07-2013 10:13 AM

Fuggin-A. Thanks.

BAC5.2 03-07-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .:Catalyst:. (Post 4328079)
"The FX350 clutch system has a higher holding capacity than a segmented Kevlar lining without compromising the street friendly characteristic."

Look who decided to listen to my suggestions afterall.

The FX350 will be my next clutch (also an OEM SMFW and TSK3)

BAC5.2 03-07-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDawg (Post 4327821)
Just had the clutchmasters FX350 installed yesterday, still breaking it in, but i was surprised that the clutch pedal is easier to depress than OEM. After having a few ACT clutches on other cars i was expecting a stiffer pedal.

Does anyone else have this clutch?, i know it's relatively new.

IIRC, Their pressure plate moves the spring pivot slightly so they trade a lighter pedal for a slightly longer throw to achieve the same clamping force. That's a trade fine with me.

The lighter pedal will prevent problems commonly associated with the push-type clutch fork and stiff pressure plates (where the fork will pop off of the pivot ball).

.:Catalyst:. 03-07-2013 10:50 AM

I'm assuming you are referring to CM and not me - your knowledge you share on this forum is a big part of my understanding of what's worthwhile as far as upgrades/mods on this platform. ;)

RedDawg 03-07-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .:Catalyst:. (Post 4328066)

that's exactly the setup i had installed.

Only have about 50miles on it so far since i live <2miles from work, i might go out for a few hours tonite and put some miles on it.

It has a higher engagement point that im more used to today than i was when i picked it up, but it still bites pretty hard upon engagement.

BAC5.2 03-07-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .:Catalyst:. (Post 4328148)
I'm assuming you are referring to CM and not me - your knowledge you share on this forum is a big part of my understanding of what's worthwhile as far as upgrades/mods on this platform. ;)

I was referring to CM. I suggested a full face FX300 when it was first released.

I expect it'll be one of their most popular Subaru clutches if they did things right.

mr.hicksta 03-07-2013 11:53 AM

Things I shouldn't have read.

1. This thread.

:lol:

Must....resist.....buying!!!

In all seriousness, I despise my ACT HD SS when I'm in bumper to bumper traffic. More OEM like pedal feel would be a HUGE bonus to me. Plus I won't ever be over 300whp so it seems like the CM FX 350 may be worth a look eventually...

mmmmspecb 03-07-2013 12:15 PM

What sort of holding power are we talking about for the fx350? I'm sitll okay on my stock clutch in the stage 2 6-speed spec B but I plan on going w/ a bnr 16 or 18g in the near future so I'm thinking over 300whp will be a certainty.

.:Catalyst:. 03-07-2013 01:12 PM

They say it's 110% increase in holding capacity. Same rating as the 300. I know Cryo is running the CM FX300 in his car that's putting down 355WHP/440WTQ with a E85/FP68HTA setup.

LosAngelesLGT 03-07-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_hicksta (Post 4328250)
In all seriousness, I despise my ACT HD SS when I'm in bumper to bumper traffic.

LWFW or OEM SMFW? Please don't make me read your thread. Its almost as bad as mine to follow.:p

Quote:

Originally Posted by .:Catalyst:. (Post 4328389)
They say it's 110% increase in holding capacity. Same rating as the 300. I know Cryo HAS BRIEFLY BEEN running the CM FX300 in his car that's putting down 355WHP/440WTQ with a E85/FP68HTA setup.

Fixed

mr.hicksta 03-07-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LosAngelesLGT (Post 4328413)
LWFW or OEM SMFW? Please don't make me read your thread. Its almost as bad as mine to follow.:p

I've got a SMFW brotha :D