Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   North Central (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Looking for custom audio around Chicago IL (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202839)

CDubbs 03-04-2013 08:25 AM

Looking for custom audio around Chicago IL

Good morning folks. Like the title says, I am looking for a shop accustomed to custom work. I purchased a complete HK system from a 2009 to retrofit to a 2005 and need a place that would be willing to make a wiring harness.

I am going to use one forward and one reverse adapter with the correct wires jumped straight through, then I am going to route the speaker feeds to the HK amp and back, using the stock wiring. I would take the opportunity when swapping the speakers to freshen up any connections that need attention.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with a shop in the area for this type of work.

Thanks in advance,
-Chris

Kiyo1990 03-04-2013 05:27 PM

Not too much with stuff like that, but I normally do my own. Soldered connections, boxes, and all

AkumaMax 03-04-2013 10:25 PM

I'm sure any audio place would be able to do this. It just will be ghetto rigged for sure. I have done custom wire harnesses for my LGT(Fully Plug and play OEM Navigation only one in the world!) I can take a look at the wiring diagrams for you and maybe lead you in the right direction if anything at all maybe try and make a custom harness for you. BTW if you are using a Forward and reverse Radio harness do not buy from online and piece together for the harnesses will be missing an ILLUMINATION wire on one of the harnesses. Talk to a guy on here his name is SVXdc he can make you a custom harness for the Radio with the needed wires openended so that all you have to do is hook into the AMP. If you can make a list of all the parts you have. I have a feeling I know who you bought it from since I seen a F/S post about a full H/K system about a month back.

CDubbs 03-05-2013 08:39 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah that was the thread I bought it from. He was very reasonable about it and I thought I would make his life easier by just buying it all and seeing if I could make it work. I have an electronics degree so I am competent at board level stuff but I have very little experience fishing wires under carpet and have never removed my seats. The most invasive I have done was the original jazzy mod and a carputer setup in the trunk.

I would be very interested in bringing cash + brew of choice if someone wanted to screw around with this on a weekend...

I have the wiring diagrams from the full HK system, and the ones provided by SVXdc. The harnesses I was considering buying were the forward and reverse from him. The biggest time sinks I see are running power to the amp and running speaker wire if someone successfully dissuaded me from using the stock wiring.

Mr. Sinister 03-05-2013 07:01 PM

You can try contacting Dr. Tweak to see if he'd make a custom harness for you:

http://www.tweakdperformance.com/index2.html

AkumaMax 03-05-2013 07:23 PM

Where was this guy when I was making my plug and play OEM Navigation??? Thanks for the link Sinister

CDubbs 03-11-2013 10:02 AM

Thanks for the referral. I just sent them an email outlining my situation. I mentioned it likely there would be a market for 5-25 of these harnesses in the community. Do you feel that is overstated?

AkumaMax 03-11-2013 10:25 PM

Yes and No. The reason I say no is the fact that people want to do this swap but are afraid of the Wiring involved. I say Yes because with a Plug and Play harness this will be better.

Kiyo1990 03-11-2013 11:49 PM

Tweak is a master man. Hope you get your audio fixed up

CDubbs 03-13-2013 09:31 AM

I sent an email to tweakedperformance through the website and they explained they only do engine swap harnesses. At this point I just have to figure out how to get my hands on the connectors for the amp themselves.

AkumaMax 03-14-2013 10:04 PM

Get a picture of the connector port for me and I will see what I can find

CDubbs 03-18-2013 11:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I will grab a pic tonight. Thanks a bunch.

Added the pics. I took the picture of the amp on its back but rotated, hence the red hat. Now that I have part numbers I am going to start looking for the harnesses and see how pricey they are.

AkumaMax 03-20-2013 10:54 PM

ummmm WOW. I haven't even gone into detail with the wiring on the HK system but I know that on the 2005-2007 Legacy's that blue Connection port is a grounding system. It's strange because it looks like it uses the entire cars grounding system to run through the AMP. Maybe to keep it static free. Not sure, not an audio guy. as for the other 2 white ones the smaller one on the left looks to be the main harness connection to the stereo(power, etc..) and the one on the right might run the audio. Wow after looking at the HK PDF you attached there is a lot of work to be done. Is it possible...Yes. Will it be a quick and easy install/hookup? After I have time to read the PDF and pin out from our 05 models to the 09 models then wiring can commence. I know for sure I have quite a few of the Blue connectors lying around from my 06 SpecB harness that I chopped up. As well as plenty of wire to keep costs down. Shoot I might even be able to make it plug and play for any year. There is just one thing I need. That is close up shots of the 3 plugs there. Like I said I know I have the blue one just need a better pic of each separate one to confirm.

AkumaMax 03-20-2013 10:59 PM

ummm well my work here is all done now time to match wire to the 05.
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...mp-112168.html

I knew I like SVXdc for some reason. He makes things so much easier to read:)

As for taking pictures I know what the connectors look like. I do have the blue on for sure and I'm positive I have the 12pin white one but the 24pin white one I for sure do not have only came on 09+ models. They switched out our 14pin radio harness for that 24pin one.

CDubbs 03-21-2013 11:17 AM

Connectors

3 Attachment(s)
It certainly isn't simple. I am not complaining about the deal I got as all his prices were more than fair, but to be honest I just bought the whole thing on what I knew to be a crap-shoot for the amplifier install.

I figured the stock speakers and rear deck sub to supplement the factory under-seat unit would sound fine if I had to go the route of buying crossovers and a speaker level 4 in 5 out amp.

I do have closeups of the connectors themselves provided by the seller. They are pretty high res. I will see if I can get at least one of each uploaded.

I will take pictures of the female connectors on the Amp when I get home tonight.

*Edit: Well I checked out that thread after I posted and can't believe I never got a hit on it with my searches. That's embarrassing.