Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-purchase Questions (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   2005 Legacy GT questions (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202824)

Mat_Mandangle 03-03-2013 10:51 PM

2005 Legacy GT questions

I totaled my 2006 Impreza 2.5i last weekend, and have already come across a replacement-- a 2005 Legacy GT with 43,000 miles on it. My only concern is that the previous owner had made some modifications to the car. I'm not sure the type of parts they put on, but they upgraded the exhaust to a dual exhaust system on both sides, as well as an upgraded intake, and a blow off valve. I'm waiting to get the CarFax emailed to me, including the service reports so I probably will have more information in about a day or so.

The asking price is $13,000, and I'd say that's pretty reasonable.

My question to you guys is-- if I take it to a Subaru dealership to get it inspected before purchase, would they be able to tell me if the mods will hurt the car later on?

Side note, I was told the O2 meter is messed up, so that will be replaced since the check engine light has been on for a while. Is this an indication of an improper exhaust system installation?

p.s--I don't know much about cars...

StoplightAssassin 03-04-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mat_Mandangle (Post 4322395)
p.s--I don't know much about cars...

In that case, a modified LGT is not a good choice. :)

The mods listed do not really indicate the owner knew what he was doing with the car. It sounds like you'll be buying his headache, and that could get expensive. Is the car tuned? It MUST have a tune with any aftermarket intake.

Mat_Mandangle 03-04-2013 07:04 AM

How do I tell if it is tuned or not?

StoplightAssassin 03-04-2013 07:10 AM

You could ask.

Otherwise you'd have to hook up a computer and download the rom.

Mat_Mandangle 03-04-2013 07:38 AM

If I take it to a Subaru dealership to get it inspected, think they could see if it's tuned or not? Or do they typically shy away from aftermarket stuff?

lgt_nube 03-04-2013 07:46 AM

Where are you located? You could ask here for referrals to places near you that know Subarus including mods and tuning.

BoozeRS05 03-04-2013 07:50 AM

Fill out your profile and look for help regionally. How is anyone gonna tell you if a car is in good shape when you don't know anything about it, and neither do we.

Mat_Mandangle 03-04-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgt_nube (Post 4322604)
Where are you located? You could ask here for referrals to places near you that know Subarus including mods and tuning.

I'm going to school in boulder colorado, the car is located in englewood colorado (just outside of Denver). Any good shops near these two areas would suffice.

MrTris 03-04-2013 11:47 AM

Does anyone remember Matt Monson? Does he still have a Subaru shop in Boulder? He would be my recommendation in that area. . . Very knowledgeable guy when it comes to Legacies!

LGT For ME 03-04-2013 11:58 AM

OP lucky for you your in CO, tons of great subie guys/shops in the area. You can check the rocky mtn area for the recommended shop thread to get some ideas. Or I would send a PM to Cryo (Dave) a great local turner that might check it out, or 5250 performance in Longmont.... or just post up this same thread in the local section and I'm sure you'll find guys willing to help.

BoozeRS05 03-04-2013 12:00 PM

There are two or three great Subaru shops in that immediate area.

Mat_Mandangle 03-04-2013 03:11 PM

Great, I will check those places out! Thanks guys!

LGT For ME 03-04-2013 03:39 PM

I just saw that car FS online, it has a stromung exhaust (nice) and boost and oil guages in the cubby so I'm sure this car was at least stage 2, and was put back to "stock" before they traded it in. There are no under the hood pics which would help. But for that many miles and price I would def inquire further. You might even post up the FS listing in the rocky mtn section and see if a fellow member had owned this car. Could be saul_good's old car, looks similar. Good luck on the research

Mat_Mandangle 03-05-2013 11:08 AM

Apparently this car doesn't have a catalytic converter... Took it to a subaru dealership to get it inspected, failed their inspection. The guy I was going to buy it from said they didn't know what they were talking about, so I had him go get an emissions test, failed that--they said it didn't have a catalytic converter as well. So... No deal anymore

BoozeRS05 03-05-2013 11:11 AM

If properly tuned that's not a problem for a lot of people here, other then getting emission stickers.