Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Third Generation Legacy (1999 - 2004) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Slotted or Drilled? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202766)

Manny 03-03-2013 07:55 AM

Slotted or Drilled?

Ok looking into changing my brakes and going aftermarket I found slotted and drilled brakes. What's the difference and pros and cons? Also looking at brake pads and there's ceramic and metallic. Again what's the differnce and pros and cons. Thanks guys!

Dodik 03-03-2013 08:15 AM

are we talking ebay aftermarket drilled and slotted or a reputable aftermarket company rotors. If ebay none whatsoever they are regular rotors that are drilled and/or slotted. If aftermarket company than read their description of what they are offering.
as far as pads everyone one here will tell you to get hawk, ceramic or semi metallic.
In reality if your pad pressure on the rotor is strong enough to lock the wheel than there is no need for an upgrade. Just get a set of centric blank rotors and decent set of pads.

ChaoticZen 03-03-2013 09:49 AM

The slots gives you more "bite" to the pads and the holes drilled are meant for better ventilation. HOWEVER, I have seen some cheaply eBay rotos start to crack around the drilled holes either due to poor machining of the holes or simply poor quality rotors.

For regular daily driving I would say get a good old reputable OEM quality rotor, if you must, just go slotted as the drilled holes often weaken the overall integrity of the rotor.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Manny 03-03-2013 12:03 PM

No they aren't eBay rotors. They are by brembo the site just never really gave a clear explanation. But thanks for the replies and advice.

Manny 03-03-2013 12:05 PM

The only reason I chose aftermarket now is because last yr I had a place around here do em and they cracked really bad. Then had them changed and let a local mechanic I know do em and they bought at a parts store and they too are now giving me problems so I'm going to try aftermarket.

Dodik 03-03-2013 03:38 PM

what type of problems? vibrating steering wheel while braking perhaps?

Manny 03-03-2013 05:42 PM

It's grinding everytime I turn to the left and it's only to the left. Also while braking a bit it does it. I hear it on the passenger side. Being how cold and weather I haven't been able to take the wheel off and see if anything is wrong. I get a slight vibration at 75 mph. A balance and rotation has been done and when everything was good no vibration. Since the rotor all else has occurred.

octain11 03-03-2013 06:24 PM

slotted for DD, you are not going to be producing that much heat in your brakes to really need drilled.

rapture 03-03-2013 06:28 PM

Ive had the drilled& slotted dba's
For years
Very happy
Ill get them again when needed

Manny 03-03-2013 06:46 PM

Thanks. Like I said there wasn't a clear description for either just that they are performance. So thanks again.

Leeson187 03-05-2013 07:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's my ebay slotted and cross drilled rotors. My daily car that i try to slowly upgrade from time to time whenever i have spare money.

Manny 03-05-2013 09:12 AM

They look good. Any complications?

Leeson187 03-05-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny (Post 4324286)
They look good. Any complications?

None At all :) Very easy swap. I got a lot of help from some folks on here. I enjoyed it a lot and learn a thing or 2. My brake fluid was black. Now it's SUPER..

rougeben83 03-06-2013 12:09 AM

get whatever you like. Ill leave it at that. I still can't believe there are still people who think drilling holes are for "ventilation" though. :lol:

Leeson187 03-06-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rougeben83 (Post 4325837)
get whatever you like. Ill leave it at that. I still can't believe there are still people who think drilling holes are for "ventilation" though. :lol:

We all know it adds 10 horse POWER!