Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Running the engine with the turbo off? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202648)

boostedyota90 03-01-2013 08:30 AM

Running the engine with the turbo off?

So I am going to flush the engine with oil and the Subaru oil flush solution, and I didn't want to put my new turbo at risk if possible, so I was wondering if anyone has done this previously, by just capping off the oil and coolant lines. The turbo is currently off the car. I just need to have it running for a good 40 minutes. I am curious if anyone has had problems keeping it running ect. Just looking for some tips before I try it this weekend. Searched but came up empty. Thanks

fahr_side 03-01-2013 09:28 AM

If you are going to run with the turbo off the car, you'll either have to kludge up the intake to connect the MAF to the throttle body somehow, or leave it unhooked. If you do that I would guess it will idle better if you disconnect the MAF sensor so prompt the ECU into it's limp mode, which is basic speed-density fueling.

Are you going to run it with nothing on the up-pipe at all, open header? :O

KCwagon 03-01-2013 03:34 PM

I think your search came up empty because I have never heard of anyone even considering this. Your turbo is not only a part of the intake tract but also a major exhaust component. I would think that the potential damage to your car and/or yourself may not be worth the minimal benefit (if any benfit) of an "oil flush". That is, however, my opinion.

haycock 03-01-2013 06:45 PM

I dont really see a problem if its just idling. i would some how connect the turbo inlet tube to the intercooler just so it runs better. i would also take the exhaust housing off your old turbo and block off the front and then bolt it in place. it would be a bit of work but if thats what you want to do...

KCwagon 03-02-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haycock (Post 4319455)
I dont really see a problem if its just idling. i would some how connect the turbo inlet tube to the intercooler just so it runs better. i would also take the exhaust housing off your old turbo and block off the front and then bolt it in place. it would be a bit of work but if thats what you want to do...

Ever tried this ? This sounds like a horrible idea

haycock 03-02-2013 09:33 AM

No, ive ran diesel motors with out the turbo on before though.

What does the turbo do at idle?

fahr_side 03-02-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haycock (Post 4320286)
No, ive ran diesel motors with out the turbo on before though.

Diesel doesn't usually rely on a MAF sensor for fueling eh? ;)

haycock 03-02-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahr_side (Post 4320311)
Diesel doesn't usually rely on a MAF sensor for fueling eh? ;)

no but if you read my earlier post i covered that ;)

honestly i wouldnt run the car without a turbo, not because its bad for it. i wouldnt because i dont really see the need but if thats what the op wants to do then go for it.

KCwagon 03-03-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haycock (Post 4320386)
no but if you read my earlier post i covered that ;)

honestly i wouldnt run the car without a turbo, not because its bad for it. i wouldnt because i dont really see the need but if thats what the op wants to do then go for it.

I was more concerned with the logistics of routing the air in and especially the exhaust out.

p.s. - this still sounds like a horrible idea to me ;)