Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   5th Gen LGT - Performance Mods (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202211)

BigBopper 02-23-2013 10:05 AM

5th Gen LGT - Performance Mods

10 Attachment(s)
The purpose of this thread is to consolidate all technical posts related to the 5th Gen LGT - Performance Modifications.

Please help us maintain the stated purpose of this thread.

To start off, I wanted to post a topic of recent interest within the 5th Gen community.

Crawford Air/Oil Separator (Installation Reference)

Disclaimer:
Since a model specific AOS kit was not available from Crawford, for the 5th Gen LGT back in April 2012 when I did this install, I am offering up this information as an example of how I installed the Crawford AOS on my LGT. Hope you find it a useful reference. Duplicate at your own risk.

First off:
Is this something you will be doing yourself?
Where do you plan to mount the AOS?
If you haven't already studied up on the installation instructions from the Crawford site, it would be good to check out some of the various model instructions, to become familiar with how they are installed. This will help you understand some of the photo's of my 5th Gen LGT installation.

If you are going to try to replicate my install, I wouldn't recommend the Universal Kit, (even though Crawford may suggest that to you) I didn't like the mounts ... very generic looking. Of course, your choice though.

I used the AOS model: Air / Oil Separator V2 - 05-09 LGT OEM Turbo Location Kit, and also ordered the extension adapter mounting plate directly from Crawford. The only things I used out of the kit were the AOS and the "Y" adapter fitting for the crankcase vent & drain connections. Although some of the pre-cut hoses in the kit may fit the 5th Gen install, I decided to source all the hose, clamps and everything else needed to complete my installation.

The following photo's are not necessarily in the actual installation order, since at the time, I hadn't thought of posting up a installation thread.

Nevertheless, I hope it will be helpful to those going down a similar path. ;)

REVISION: 04/05/13

I have decided to modify the water jacket source supply/return lines on my AOS installation. After reviewing the fitment of the new charge pipe being developed by RacerX, and the actual function of the water jacket thru the AOS, I decided to make the change.

Added benefits:
(1) Maintain normal (OEM) water jacket coolant flow path thru the turbocharger.
(2) Free up additional space for charge pipe replacement.
(3) Provide adequate heated circulating flow thru AOS from a less critical water jacket path.

nightspeed98 03-04-2013 10:49 PM

Would you kindly explain what the benefit of an AOS is?

acumenhokie 03-05-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightspeed98 (Post 4324002)
Would you kindly explain what the benefit of an AOS is?

Stolen from the interwebs:
The purpose of the AOS is to remove this oil from the intake system to lessen the possibility of detonation which is the main cause of broken ring lands on the stock pistons. As you increase your HP, the amount of blow by passing through your breather system increases as well. This scenario also increases the need for our AOS.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2115537
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...-answered.html

schnacko23 03-05-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBopper (Post 4308149)
This thread is created for the purpose of consolidating Performance Modifications, for the 5th Gen LGT platform, in one location for easy reference.

Mods:Please Sticky this thread and move post
http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost....26&postcount=1
into this new sticky thread.

Thanks

BigBopper,

You have some custom air intake? Just looking at your pictures from the AOS install..

BigBopper 03-05-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schnacko23 (Post 4324351)
BigBopper,

You have some custom air intake? Just looking at your pictures from the AOS install..

Yes, it's a modified AEM 65mm Short Ram Intake w/custom fabricated enclosure.

BigBopper 03-11-2013 09:31 AM

5th Gen LGT - Turbo Oil Supply Line Filter Kit

9 Attachment(s)
I have finished the install of (Infamous') IP&T's Turbo Oil Supply Line Filter Kit on my '10 LGT w/BNR TD05H/20g. This kit was developed for the 4th Gens, so I had to change up a few things, from the standard kit, to adapt it to the 5th Gen turbo setup.

I used (2) two 16" oil lines and made it work, along with some stainless bolts and silicone covered straps.

Thought this might be helpful for anyone going down a similar path. ;)

GTEASER 04-14-2013 01:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Not really a performance mod, more of a maintenance mod, but thought I would put it here anyway. Thanks to Bopper and others who have done this mod in the past and mentioned it here on the forum, otherwise I am not sure I would have been aware enough do it, but glad I did. Thanks Guys!!

Fumoto F108 Oil Drain Valve.

Modified the threaded end with slots, 2-3 threads deep, to allow all the oil to drain out of the pan. It worked and I verified by letting the old oil drain for 2 hours, installing the new valve, and 2 minutes later opening the valve. A tiny bit of oil came out, so I know that the slots are going let all the oil out during a drain.

I used a pneumatic cut off grinder and put the valve in a vice, took my time to get them all as even as possible, and carefully cleaned up all the threads with a small file afterwards.

Note: If you do this, open the ball valve before grinding the slots to keep the grindings from getting on the ball part of the valve and possibly compromising the seal when opened. And obviously make sure all metal filing are removed from the piece before turning the valve closed.

Attachment 148496Attachment 148498
Attachment 148500Attachment 148499

acumenhokie 06-30-2013 03:12 AM

Samco Intake and Coolant Line Upgrades

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...es-210144.html

Miro 09-02-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTEASER (Post 4389354)
Fumoto F108 Oil Drain Valve.

Modified the threaded end with slots, 2-3 threads deep, to allow all the oil to drain out of the pan. It worked and I verified by letting the old oil drain for 2 hours, installing the new valve, and 2 minutes later opening the valve. A tiny bit of oil came out, so I know that the slots are going let all the oil out during a drain.

Just saw this today. Thanks -- this post pretty much sealed the deal for me to get one of them fancy Fumotos!

I wonder why they don't just do this at the factory... Perhaps if they cut the slots, and it leaked because people didn't screw it in enough? (That doesn't sound too plausible, but I don't see many other reasons not to have the slots.)

Rutchard 09-03-2013 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miro (Post 4568428)
I wonder why they don't just do this at the factory... Perhaps if they cut the slots, and it leaked because people didn't screw it in enough? (That doesn't sound too plausible, but I don't see many other reasons not to have the slots.)

well, it's not a Subaru specific product, that's just the part with the correct size and thread pitch. Some vehicles that this Fumoto part fits might not need the slots.

Miro 09-03-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rutchard (Post 4568584)
well, it's not a Subaru specific product, that's just the part with the correct size and thread pitch. Some vehicles that this Fumoto part fits might not need the slots.

Fair enough. I just assumed that all car oil pans would have that same issue.

pfoyle 09-08-2013 11:01 AM

STi Short Throw Shifter install

10 Attachment(s)
A quick write-up of my recent experience installing the STi short throw shifter... The majority of the install can be found in the linked PDF I have attached, but there are a few details I found while doing the install that I thought were worth mentioning...

First of all, I recommend doing this project either on a lift, or with all 4 tires off the ground (either 4 jack stands, or 2 jack stands and 2 ramps, which is how I did it). The reason for this is because the shifter assembly is pretty close to the center of the car, so having everything up in the air will ensure you have enough room to work. It's probably possibly to do it with just the front in the air, but I'd recommend getting all 4 tires up.

Secondly, it is unnecessary to remove the exhaust pipes that you are working near. Obviously you should do this when the car has been sitting for awhile, otherwise you risk burning yourself on the pipes, but there's enough room to get to all the bolts and nuts without removing the pipe.

Next, if you're following the PDF (and you probably should), after step 10 there's a few pieces they left out. Your goal is to remove the cover cable assembly that bolts up to the car from underneath. In order to do this, you need to pull the gear select cable and the gear shift lever from the assembly. These are held into the assembly by way of some tight aluminum clips that gave me some problems in removal. You can see one of them (the other is identical) in the 3rd and 4th pictures I linked to. You have to pull the clips down (towards the ground) so that you can slide the cable/lever out of the assembly. Not too hard, but not described in the PDF.

Finally, when inside the cabin to remove the gear shift itself, the PDF mentions removing the console box (the plastic around the gear shift, the cupholders, the change holder, the seat warmers, and some of the plastic trim that faces the footwells of the drivers and passengers side. The 6th picture I linked has the locations of all the screws you need to remove circled in red (some are hidden under pieces of the trim, that you need to remove) that need to come out so you can get the gear shift out. There's also some great pics and instructions in this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...st-155444.html

Hopefully that will be helpful for any of you looking to do this install! In general it's a pretty easy job, probably took me about 2 hours, but I was taking my time and ran into a few tricky parts that I had to go research. Once you know what you're doing it can probably be done in about 1 hour.

If anyone has any questions, or if anything is unclear, feel free to drop me a PM and I'll try and help you out ASAP. Good luck!

samsino93 01-12-2014 12:38 AM

I just blew out my third gear. Can anybody tell me the best/easiest way to fix it and how much it's going to be assuming that the gear and not my entire transmission needs to be replaced?

Sent from my iPhone 5s

McDowell Performance Tuning 01-12-2014 09:27 AM

How many miles on your car?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

BigBopper 01-12-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samsino93 (Post 4695544)
I just blew out my third gear. Can anybody tell me the best/easiest way to fix it and how much it's going to be assuming that the gear and not my entire transmission needs to be replaced?
Sent from my iPhone 5s

Please note the intended use of this Sticky thread in the first post.

Also, check here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost....61&postcount=1

It's an honest mistake ...

The appropriate place to post this question would be in the:
Subaru Legacy Forums > Technical Forums > Transmissions - section.
You are more likely to get a quicker response there.

Please re-post the question there .... then delete your post above.

This thread is for specific 5th Gen Performance Mods that have been applied.

Thanks for your help and Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your problem.