Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Pre-turbo leak testing. (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202206)

*ATX05LeGiT* 02-23-2013 09:20 AM

Pre-turbo leak testing.

Been trying to search around and find this, but can anyone suggest the best way to test for pre-turbo leaks. Been hearing a loud whinning sound around when it spools, and I suspect that I have a leak.

I have seen some people mention something about compressed air. I have a small air compressor but wouldnt know how you could use it test leaks. :confused:

Bochim 02-23-2013 12:20 PM

Try propane. if theres a vacume leak it will suck it in and change the engine RPMs. i use a hand held torch and just squeez the button so the gas comes out, without pulling it too far so the igniter wont trigger.

*ATX05LeGiT* 02-23-2013 01:12 PM

Well, I started pulling stuff apart today just to see and I noticed that it was not tightened at all where the intercooler went into the intake and the rubber seal wasnt on there quite right.

I also however noticed while in there that the axle cv boot was slinging grease everywhere :spin: so I will have to deal with that before i address anything else.

Is that for real about the propane though? I am a noob at all this so i am easily trolled lol

Indiglow 02-23-2013 05:19 PM

the intercooler hose is notorious for blowing out or slipping off. instead of propane use carb cleaner with the red straw and spray in areas you suspect a leak is, rpms will rise when it sucks it in

bnguyenbb6 02-23-2013 10:58 PM

The axle boot thing is pretty common, luckily my transmission was coming out anyway for a clutch job. Boost leaks will whine like that while/once spooled since they're now pushing air out. Your intake tract(turbo inlet, intake, etc) is constantly under vacuum so if leaks make sounds, it would always be there and just get louder.

I'm local if you need a second eye on something. Theres also a few others in the Austin area.

*ATX05LeGiT* 02-24-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnguyenbb6 (Post 4308910)
The axle boot thing is pretty common, luckily my transmission was coming out anyway for a clutch job. Boost leaks will whine like that while/once spooled since they're now pushing air out. Your intake tract(turbo inlet, intake, etc) is constantly under vacuum so if leaks make sounds, it would always be there and just get louder.

I'm local if you need a second eye on something. Theres also a few others in the Austin area.

Yea i think the whine went away after fixing the rubber seal on that hose.

Yea thanks for the offer man. Would prolly be cool sometime. Are there any meetups or anything that you know of. I know cobb used to have one that was lk 1 mile from my house here.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the 1/2 shaft is just bent. Do u know of ne where i could get one thats within driving distance. Would like to get it changed pretty fast.

bnguyenbb6 02-24-2013 05:28 PM

Cobb meets are the first Thursdays of every month. Unfortunately, I work Thursday nights so I'm never at the meets but I think a few here are regulars.

Google "excalibur automotive", its off of 183 and ohlen rd. Ask for James, if they ask, say Brian sent you.

*ATX05LeGiT* 02-26-2013 02:01 PM

I called them up and actually the quoted a really good price, but i think im just gonna install this one myself. Kinda low on cash and I dont think its that hard of a job.

They seem pretty cool tho. Will prolly go there when there is a job that i dont think i can't do myself.

Indiglow 02-26-2013 03:00 PM

lol, "not a hard job", i will hold you to that.

Max Capacity 02-26-2013 03:39 PM

For the boost leak; I stuck a pint size paint can in the hose coming from the air filter box. Pulled the small hose off the blow of valve and gave it a short blast of air, then put my thumb over the hose and listen for leaks.

The axle, there is a thread for that in the DIY forums.

You'll need a 34mm/1 1/4" socket and a long breaker bar.

Be careful with axle seal on the tranny, if your careful you can use it over again. Do not pry against it to pop the old axle out.

I got my axle from Advance auto Parts for $80.00, it's been in there almost 2 1/2 years now.

bnguyenbb6 02-27-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *ATX05LeGiT* (Post 4312792)
They seem pretty cool tho. Will prolly go there when there is a job that i dont think i can't do myself.

I've been to a few shops and I wouldn't hesitate recommending them. The price is fair and I've never had to go back to have them fix something they did.

And Max Capacity is right, be careful with the seal. When I had my first clutch put in, the shop ripped the seal and tranny fluid was leaking out of the axle. I had to drive back to DFW and have them fix it.

*ATX05LeGiT* 02-27-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indiglow (Post 4312909)
lol, "not a hard job", i will hold you to that.

Haha well i meant easy in a sense that it was easy enough that i could do it. But i did it earlier today and it took less than two hours and was pretty simple.

*ATX05LeGiT* 02-27-2013 09:07 PM

Also i would like to add that I just unbolted the strut from the spindle and turned the steering wheel all the way and I got it out lk that. Mush easier than taking off the LBJ (and all that it says in the DIY thread) which I had to do a few weeks ago to replace the LCA.

ctlex 02-28-2013 09:11 AM

i personally prefer seperating the lbj so i dont need an alignment after. when you unbolt the knuckle from the straight its hard to be sure your camber goes back in the same spot.

*ATX05LeGiT* 03-03-2013 06:08 PM

Well last time i took my LBJ off it was so rusted that I had to take the whole spindle off and remove it with a prybar and hammer.