Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Is this normal? Idle and Acceleration (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202181)

psapitch13 02-22-2013 02:29 PM

Is this normal? Idle and Acceleration

I have taken a video of my car idling at start up and then at acceleration because I am not sure that it is running properly because:

1. The fuel/air ratio is too low ~7.4 at acceleration
2. There is a loud "rattling" coming from the area near the catless downpipe/EWG at 3000+ RPMs, sounds like it is under passenger side glovebox/floor.

I don't have any experience with turbo vehicles and I just bought this car, it has:
IPR TMIC
Headers
Catless DP
Grimspeed EWG
Oilcooler

Let me know what you think or if I need to take different photos/videos, thanks.

Max Capacity 02-22-2013 02:56 PM

Oh dear...my first thought is what turbo...

You better pull the down pipe and check for shaft play.

Did you buy it from a member here ?

psapitch13 02-22-2013 03:00 PM

Nope, didn't buy it from a member. Bought it off a guy on CL.

What problem would that be checking, the loudness or the F/A ratio?

Max Capacity 02-22-2013 03:27 PM

loud metal sound from turbo area.

Not good.

CapSlo 02-22-2013 03:43 PM

Kinda sounds like it could be an exhaust leak possibly. Depending where it is, it could cause it to run rich. Has it always sounded this way since you got it?

psapitch13 02-22-2013 03:55 PM

Sounded that way since I got it last week. Had the exhaust shop check out the car this morning, no exhaust leak. They said they think a metal piece behind the downpipe, the heat shield?, is rubbing the joint on the axle and they can bend the piece back so that it doesn't rub.

I guess I will try that.

gear_monkey 02-22-2013 06:56 PM

When my shop put the Perrin dp on my car it was for a manual tranny and I have a 5eat. The result was the pipe touched the firewall and sounded identical to yours.

I would bet your dp is rubbing your frame somewhere and transmitting all the sound into the cabin.

Mine went almost as quiet as stock when they put a properly fitting invidia dp on.

Oh and btw, your turbo could explode and kill all furry animals within a 100 meter radius.

psapitch13 02-22-2013 07:19 PM

I hope you are right. I'm going tomorrow morning to get it fixed, I'll be sure to take some pictures why it's on the lift if they let me.

psapitch13 02-22-2013 07:20 PM

O and no animals were harmed during the production of that video, haha.

iNVAR 02-23-2013 02:48 AM

Well at least you're making full boost. :) You need to find out what sort of tune is on your car as well. Get your hands on a vagcom or tactrix cable and pull a learningview, pull a log, and download the map.

Indiglow 02-23-2013 05:34 AM

take a video of the engine idling, almost sounds like rod knock

psapitch13 02-23-2013 08:38 AM

Went to exhaust shop this morning, they bent the EWG tube away from the where it was rubbing against the axle, but the noise is still there...It doesn't seem boost dependent (that's good , right?), just as soon as I hit 3000 RPMs the noise comes back, stab the throttle it makes a noise, let off the throttle noise stops.

Maybe the problem is that the DP is too large for the space in the engine bay. (Attached is a picture). You can see the where the wastegate tube was rubbing the joint, its the black line on the green.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-K...rneath+LGT.jpg

Got my VAGCOM cable in the mail so hopefully I can get my old netbook working and log some miles this weekend.

I am really at a lose as to what the problem is, maybe an UP leak/gasket issue?

psapitch13 02-23-2013 02:41 PM

Attached a video at Idle in the OP.

psapitch13 02-25-2013 06:30 AM

Mechanic is going to take a look at the car today, there has got to be something going on because I got 13 MPG on the last tank of gas...

psapitch13 02-28-2013 07:47 AM

Problem was a bad up pipe gasket. Replaced it and the car is running great.

Now if only I could quiet down that external wastegate, damn that thing is loud.