Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (
-   -   Robitrice Idea Thread (

robitrice 02-21-2013 07:13 PM

Robitrice Idea Thread
So some of you may have heard but my turbo is shot and motor had turbo particulates in the oil. So i have a few options here and trying to weigh the pro's and cons of what to do and want to see what everyone else think on the options.....

car back ground and mods:
2005 GT 5spd with 132K on motor and driveline. Has for the most part basic bolt ons with the motor, fmic, cai, ebcs, tgv deletes, catless up and dp, walbro 255, vf52 (would stay with this turbo), brentuned, and a bunch of whiteline bushings and front sway bar. might be missing a few things. Plan was to have a fun dd and never had plans of going over 350whp until i had another reliable source of trans to take the lgt off the road and go project mode on it. So sound of what you would do...

Option 1: I can have a fully inspected, used vf52 put on and the oil system flushed until nothing shows and risk being in the same problem a week from now or get lucky and have it last another year or so.

Option 2: Same as option 1 except sell the car as is outright and fully disclose the issues to the buyer ensuring they understand there could be catastrophic failure imminent. use money to buy a another vehicle most likely high mileage and will need some work.

Option 3: Keep the car and buy a cheap $2k honda or toyota to get me on the road again and save up for a solid build and hope that nothing happens to my beater in the mean time

Option 4: Get a 2012 Sti Shortblock and get a basic build, freshen up the heads and be good for around 350whp, obviously the most expensive and would put me out thousands out up front but i would know exactly where the car is mechanically and know i have something sound and built right.

Now here is my thought process behind all of this. I sell the car and say i get 5K sold as is. I am not looking for car payments so a new car is out of the question, or even financing for a used one. I take the 5K and buy a used car, most likely going to need a little work and probably around 100K in miles. Most likely will need a 100K service done so another 1K spent. The only good part in this option is i am not out 5K as the money came from the sale.

Other thought is doing a rebuild and spending 5-7K knowing i have a brand new motor with zero miles and a good tune. This motor in theory should last another 100K and i would have piece of mind knowing that i essentially have a brand new car. Downfall is i am out 5-7K upfront opposed to possibly 3 yrs down the road when i would need a new car any way if i bought a 5K used one.

06silvarubiLGT 02-21-2013 07:17 PM

Pm me.. your story mimics mine. I have your plan.

laff79 02-21-2013 07:20 PM

trade it in for a Cooper

robitrice 02-21-2013 07:23 PM


Originally Posted by laff79 (Post 4305552)
trade it in for a Cooper

hahahahahaha only unique people do crazy things like that

sigmafour 02-21-2013 07:28 PM

@laff - nice! LOL

Robi... I am sorry to hear this obviously. I guess all these options are quite varied - of course I am going to say keep the car, these are nice cars. What's the other side of this equation though - what exactly can you afford, what's your budget by time - can you get the money somehow or only parts of it as you go, what do you have on hand and what can I do to help?

a93x 02-21-2013 07:44 PM

Get the new shortblock. (exactly what I am doing currently) this allows you to start fresh with a much stronger block from the start. Yes it might be spendy but you will be set up correctly for a future build.

sigmafour 02-21-2013 07:49 PM

It's sort of what I would do... I am going to need a built motah soon.

robitrice 02-21-2013 07:54 PM

Sigma, all good points. I can afford it without question, i have a very good savings account but the idea was use that money for a house. I have been living at home to save so spending up front would set me back about half a year in saving money wise. I am blessed to have parents who help me when i am stuck in a jam and there is not a thing worse than asking for help when they are nice enough to let me still stay at home rent free. I do not want to burden them with my problem and i feel this should be my problem and not something they should have to worry about.

Parts wise everything would need to be bought, nothing is at hand. I can save some money in certain ways, I had the timing belt done at 105K so that setup can be reused so that is about a $200 savings. Sell the turbo as a core for $100 and the short block for $300 so another 4-600 recouped. This is my only car but a friend of mine is going to let me borrow his in case i am out for some time. in the meantime i have a rental.

I agree i would like to keep the car for the obvious reason, its rare, fun and different and i spent alot of time finding one. However i must also weigh the fact of where i am going to be in the next 3-5yrs of my life and if 5-7K out of pocket can adversely affect that plan. Appreciate the help so far all, and sigma u can help me bye helping spc ;)

sigmafour 02-21-2013 08:36 PM

I am helping SPC... if that keeps him out of your hair, you got it.

I guess you just need to think about this a little bit more and make a decision. if it's 'fix the car' then you need to focus on that and go for it without looking back, if it's time for a house and to settle down on the car then so be it, that's what you need to do. have a think and when your gut says what to do we'll all back that decision up whatever it may be.

robitrice 02-21-2013 09:36 PM

decision has been made to sell the car as is. financially it is the best decision for a 25 yr old who is looking down the road. I will be creating a for sale ad for the car and some various parts that will be available for sale. Feel free to keep the thread open for people in similar positions or have other "ideas" about anything related to legacies. Its a tough decision for me but there will always be another car and there is no reason to make a financial burden at the age of 25 that you may regret in a few yrs. I will still be here though because spc worries me and i need laughs. Ill still be around at meets and stuff, the subaru world is contagious and i got very sick from it lol.

broknindarkagain 02-21-2013 09:44 PM


Originally Posted by a93x (Post 4305598)
Get the new shortblock.

midget block.

Get it right.

Max Capacity 02-22-2013 03:38 AM

Boy that was a quick decision.

I think you know what I did. 15,000 miles on my new ej257 so far. Sounds like you don't have a place to work on the car yourself.

Good Luck.

robitrice 02-22-2013 03:48 AM

yea well i spent some time talking to other people, parents and the advice on here. It was soley based on finances, a 25 yr old who is saving for a house with a very solid savings. I do not want to jeopardize that hard work but taking a large sum from it and that is my number one priority right now. its not the decision i want to do but more the one i have to do to stay on track with my long term financials.

So keep your eyes popped for my for sale thread that will include a variety of good parts and the car as is for those who may want to take the project plunge.

sigmafour 02-22-2013 04:23 AM

Responsible lad right there. Can't deny that.

robitrice 02-22-2013 04:26 AM

sigma i know you want my wheels :)

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:21 PM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.3 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.