Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   CEL's With new upgrades (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202129)

Bochim 02-21-2013 06:25 PM

CEL's With new upgrades

Hello All.

Not sure where to start.

After doing some Upgrades i got my car running again and everything seamed to be good once the ECU relearned the idle. After about 30 min of idleing the CEL came on. i have missfire on all 4 cyl's and lean codes. Im wondering what this could be? Is it alright to drive this way while i break in the turbo before i take it to the shop to get tuned?

Items i have replaced/upgraded on my 05 LGT MT.

BNR 16g
catless up pipe
COBB highflow down pipe
Perrin Turbo Inlet
New ngk plugs

Ideas?

bomberlegacy 02-21-2013 07:51 PM

You need a base tune

Spec B 02-21-2013 08:33 PM

You do need a tune..but you also probably have a vacuum leak.

Spec B 02-21-2013 08:34 PM

Start by checking all your connections - with special attention to the vacuum lines.

Bochim 02-21-2013 09:14 PM

Ok so i just got done checking for vacuum leaks with propane, i found no leaks. cleared the codes. drove around about 20 miles. seamed to run decent, could feel a little bit of misfire now and again at idle. CEL back on at 20 miles, lean code again, no misfire codes (yet). Should i just finish with the turbo break in and get the tune before worrying too much about this? Am i goign to get a cracked piston for running lean for 60-80 more miles. Am i even running that lean or does the ECU just think i am because of the mods?

robitrice 02-22-2013 04:11 AM

stop driving the car and get a base map and proper tune. If you had an AFR gauge, which if you are modding should be one of the first things to have. If you have catless up/dp you will throw codes for that among other things.

Spec B 02-22-2013 04:37 AM

I would not risk driving it. But practically speaking, if you stay completely out of boost you should be ok. Something is up if you are getting misfire codes..those should not be triggered, ever - maybe it is the new plugs?

Indiglow 02-22-2013 10:21 AM

incorrect plugs or the perrin inlet was installed wrong and there's a hose left wide open (PCV system)

Max Capacity 02-22-2013 11:08 AM

STOP driving the car, do what is suggested above.

Also zip tie all the vacuum lines !

To bad you didn't read more here before you jumped into the fire.

We're here to help just do what we say.

Bochim 02-22-2013 02:09 PM

Ok well thank you very much Indiglow, double checked the plug part #'s myself and sure thing thats what i get for trusting AutoZone. Once i get the plugs changed ill let let you know what happens.

KCwagon 02-22-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indiglow (Post 4306416)
incorrect plugs or the perrin inlet was installed wrong and there's a hose left wide open (PCV system)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bochim (Post 4306936)
Ok well thank you very much Indiglow, double checked the plug part #'s myself and sure thing thats what i get for trusting AutoZone. Once i get the plugs changed ill let let you know what happens.

1) Could be a leak in the inlet - the Perrin is tricky, 2) likely NOT the plugs unless you did not install them correctly, or it could be 3) the fact that you have installed a larger than stock turbo, eliminated the cat in the up-pipe and the ECU is not liking it because the CAR IS NOT TUNED.

Bochim 02-22-2013 04:04 PM

Yeah, i got that i would need that done before i even got started working on this thing, having the correct plugs in before i do that will help im sure.. Going Friday to a place in Akron OH called Smokey's dyno. anyone heard of them?

Bochim 02-22-2013 04:11 PM

The inlet i see no leaks on. propane is telling me the same thing (no leaks). The hoses that where not extreamly tight fitting i put a hose clamp on when i first installed it.

Bochim 03-12-2013 05:45 PM

OK. i got everything figured out with the car. I put the correct plugs in and got no more missfire codes. The vacume leak was coming from the evap switching solenoid, i must have broken the one nipple while putting in the inlet. When i took it to get tuned they just pluged the 2 hoses and did the tune. i have the new solenoid but i haven't put it on. 500ish miles and no evap codes yet even without it. Car is running great, hopefully if i can scan the dyno sheet at work and ill be able to put that on here. One bad thing though i think all the new power is too much for the stock 90k clutch because its slipping under medium high - high load. Got a fx350 and smfw on the way.