Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mountain West (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Tint and Clear-Bra shop in SLC? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202094)

2furious 02-21-2013 10:17 AM

Tint and Clear-Bra shop in SLC?

I may need one soon. I sold 05 Outback and am in the market for a new car.
Then, I need to tint and put clear-bra on her.
Thanks.

sanchitosonria 02-21-2013 11:08 AM

Simply Cool did a great job on mine plus they usually have a Groupon...

2212 SW Temple, Suite 29
South Salt Lake, Utah 84115
(801) 901-0255

S402 02-21-2013 12:26 PM

Envision slc Google it for address and number.

JDMChizad 02-22-2013 07:39 AM

I have a guy that does amazing tint work. Best I have ever seen. He's done 5 of my cars... He doesn't do ClearBra, but I don't really recommend ClearBra anyways.

LeGiT_Flat4 02-22-2013 10:17 PM

+1 on Chad's guy. He did my tint a year ago and it still looks as good as the day he installed it.

2furious 02-23-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMChizad (Post 4306147)
I have a guy that does amazing tint work. Best I have ever seen. He's done 5 of my cars... He doesn't do ClearBra, but I don't really recommend ClearBra anyways.

Thanks. Let me know the contact info. You can PM me.
Why do you not recommend Clear-bra?

JDMChizad 02-23-2013 04:35 PM

Clear bra fades different than the paint and can discolor. Sometimes moisture can get under the clear bra and look really bad. Take a look at cars with clear bras that are a little older. I'll pm you the info.

Euclid 02-24-2013 08:07 AM

There are many factors that go into how good or bad clear film protection will look. The brand and quality of the film is extremely important. Just like cheap tint that turns purple, a cheap film will discolor and looks bad. How the film is maintained is also important. A car that doesn't have its exterior maintained properly will have bad looking film. The paint looks like crap too, but the film is different so stands out a bit more.

I definitely understand why people aren't fans, but I'm a big proponent. I have it on all my cars and will continue to have it on my cars.

For reference, here's my Legacy from a few months ago. 8 1/2 years old and the clear film still looks good, but that's because I maintain it.

http://pics.theoriginalurl.com/galle...serialNumber=1

JDMChizad 02-24-2013 08:18 AM

And it lives in the garage and probably has pretty low mileage.

JDMChizad 02-24-2013 12:11 PM

Just like tint, it will oxidize over time and fade and discolor. And when you decide to take the clear bra off, your paint will have faded a bit by then and the paint under the clear bra will look newer.

Unless you are like Euclid and I... We are OCD about our cars and wax frequently. Our cars also spend most of their time hanging out in the garage.

Euclid 02-26-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMChizad (Post 4309151)
And it lives in the garage and probably has pretty low mileage.

It does live in the garage, but it has 82k miles on it.

jonrbing 02-27-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euclid (Post 4309137)
There are many factors that go into how good or bad clear film protection will look. The brand and quality of the film is extremely important. Just like cheap tint that turns purple, a cheap film will discolor and looks bad. How the film is maintained is also important. A car that doesn't have its exterior maintained properly will have bad looking film. The paint looks like crap too, but the film is different so stands out a bit more.

My wife's car came with a Clear Bra, how do you get the cloudy/hazy look out of it? I'm tempted just to pull it off.

JDMChizad 02-27-2013 11:13 AM

You can't get it out. Pull it off, but the paint will look different underneath. A good polishing would help.

Euclid 02-27-2013 06:46 PM

Like Chad says, you can't get the haziness/dulling out of a clear film. I'd suggest removing it, and a good polish (find a detailing enthusiast) will even out the paint difference between what was covered vs. what wasn't.

Inspector Gadget 02-27-2013 08:02 PM

Chad's guy is doing my tint tomorrow. :)

I can send you his name and number if you don't already have it.