Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Problems getting my car in reverse (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202040)

chich20x6 02-20-2013 03:49 PM

Problems getting my car in reverse

So I have had my Legacy for 2 years now with no problems. This past weekend I was driving up to LA and I couldn't get the car into 6th gear. Took me a few tries before it went in but when I pulled over later I couldn't get my car into reverse. It would go in reverse for a few seconds and then pop out and make a loud grinding sound. I took it to the dealer and they opened it up and say that the problem is the gears is all burnt out and that its not covered under warranty. Has anyone seen this problem?

SurlyOldManMN 02-20-2013 03:54 PM

A few people are reporting issues with this. Search the forums for reverse gear.

minuccims 02-20-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chich20x6 (Post 4303320)
So I have had my Legacy for 2 years now with no problems. This past weekend I was driving up to LA and I couldn't get the car into 6th gear. Took me a few tries before it went in but when I pulled over later I couldn't get my car into reverse. It would go in reverse for a few seconds and then pop out and make a loud grinding sound. I took it to the dealer and they opened it up and say that the problem is the gears is all burnt out and that its not covered under warranty. Has anyone seen this problem?

not covered? whats the milage? Powertrain warranty is 5 years/60K miles.

chich20x6 02-20-2013 04:03 PM

I have 37k on the car right now. They said that everything in the transmission would be cover except if the problem is caused by the gear.

GTEASER 02-20-2013 04:08 PM

There is a known problem with 2010 MY reverse gears, maybe on some of the 2011's as well. I think blklgt05 and 03MonteSS have had theirs to dealers for this problem. It should be covered under warranty, especially if it is know by SOA and the parts were revised in later models.

minuccims 02-20-2013 04:15 PM

That a clear case of TRANSMISSION PROFILING. Hate that. You are assumed to grind gears on every shift and and dump the clutch in first at redline.

That does not seem to be an appropriate response.

Consider changing gear fluid to synthetic at a reputable shop. Then perhaps think about a call to SOA?

chich20x6 02-20-2013 04:16 PM

Do you know where I can find warranty information or how I can prove that its a common problem? They are trying to say that its my reckless driving and won't cover it.

GTEASER 02-20-2013 04:24 PM

Here is the discussion that was on the forum recently.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...-195130p2.html

minuccims 02-20-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chich20x6 (Post 4303365)
Do you know where I can find warranty information or how I can prove that its a common problem? They are trying to say that its my reckless driving and won't cover it.

That's quite presumptuous.

https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/warranties-2010.html

Powertrain Limited Warranty
POWERTRAIN COVERAGE for all models is 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Subject to the exclusions listed in this warranty, it covers the major powertrain components listed below.[2]
Powertrain Coverage Components
Engine
Engine block and all internal parts
Cylinder heads and valve trains
Oil pump, oil pan
Timing belts or gears and cover
Water pump
Flywheel
Intake and exhaust manifolds
Oil seals and gaskets

Transaxle and Differential
Transaxle case and internal parts

Torque converter
Electronic transmission control unit
Seals and gaskets
Axle shafts and constant velocity joints [except boots][3]
Propeller shaft
Wheel bearings

What is not covered (subjective)

Damage or Malfunction Due to Abuse, Neglect, Accident or Fire
These warranties do not cover any part which malfunctions, fails or is damaged due to objects striking the vehicle, road hazards, whether on or off the road, accident, fire, neglect, abuse or any other cause beyond the control of SOA.

Who Makes These Warranties
These warranties are made by SUBARU of America, Inc. ("SOA")[1], SUBARU Plaza, P.O. Box 6000, Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000.

Types4 02-20-2013 05:14 PM

Here is what happened....when you were trying to go to 6th, you were accidentally pulling up on the reverse lever, so really you were trying to go into reverse at speed. You probably bent the shift fork and need a new reverse gear.

Ask me how I know ;)

Captain Ned 02-20-2013 05:22 PM

I've never done it (speed-shift into Reverse), but that lockout collar is not a good thing for those of us with the fidget gene. When droning down the Interstate, I find myself using the lockout collar as a fidget just to keep the hand busy. I could twiddle my thumbs, but our Interstates are not straight enough to steer by knee.

Subie_Mick 02-21-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ned (Post 4303473)
I've never done it (speed-shift into Reverse), but that lockout collar is not a good thing for those of us with the fidget gene. When droning down the Interstate, I find myself using the lockout collar as a fidget just to keep the hand busy. I could twiddle my thumbs, but our Interstates are not straight enough to steer by knee.

I do the same thing...

Rutchard 02-21-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Types4 (Post 4303456)
Here is what happened....when you were trying to go to 6th, you were accidentally pulling up on the reverse lever, so really you were trying to go into reverse at speed.

What?? No. Pulling up on the revers lockout will not affect any other gear. You could pull it up and shift into every gear just fine. It might be a little more difficult to grip the shift knob, but that's the only issue unless you actually try to pop it all the way far right and down into reverse while moving. It's not like pulling up on the lockout blocks the gate for 6th.

Types4 02-21-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rutchard (Post 4304354)
What?? No. Pulling up on the revers lockout will not affect any other gear. You could pull it up and shift into every gear just fine. It might be a little more difficult to grip the shift knob, but that's the only issue unless you actually try to pop it all the way far right and down into reverse while moving. It's not like pulling up on the lockout blocks the gate for 6th.

I agree, but if you are not aware that you have the lockout pulled, you can on accident be going into reverse instead of 6th. Of course if wont go in, just as it didn't for the OP or myself when it happened to me. While trying to force it in, you can damage some gears and bend the shift fork (depending on how hard you try to force it).

03MonteSS 02-22-2013 11:47 PM

i had this issue, turned out the reverse gear had been ground away somehow, i have no way of knowing how it happened it was messed up when i bought the car... BUT it was covered under warranty, they said it was a 50% chance of it being covered when they took it apart, mine was covered

I REALLY suspect a design flaw in the trans (yet another), i don't know anyone who tries to shift into reverse while moving forward, it shouldn't happen simply because its unnatural to look backward while moving forward (to me its just a bad idea)