Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   brembo swap? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201885)

1astrokeit 02-18-2013 03:14 PM

brembo swap?

im contemplating whether to do brembo swap front and rear or just get the sti brake booster, keep stock setup and just upgrade pads and rotors. anyone have any experience with brembos or the brake booster swap?

spc2125 02-18-2013 03:21 PM

Ive been in your position.. i think.. for the past couple weeks. I was hooked on getting a big brake kit and all. But i did more researching and posted on the forum about swapping and its a lot more involved for just bling. You would need the appropriate sized wheels/tires as well as the $200 bracket for the rears to convert. Or a full hub swap.

Theres an article posted that big brake kits on a daily driver will not decrease the stopping distance. So if this is for a track car, then by all means go for it. The stoptech calipers are recommended over brembo, i believe.

However, if its daily driver just go the route im going. I will be picking up some Techna SS braided lines, as well as a grimspeed master cylinder brace to help firm up the pedal.

Goodluck!

1astrokeit 02-18-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spc2125 (Post 4299488)
Ive been in your position.. i think.. for the past couple weeks. I was hooked on getting a big brake kit and all. But i did more researching and posted on the forum about swapping and its a lot more involved for just bling. You would need the appropriate sized wheels/tires as well as the $200 bracket for the rears to convert. Or a full hub swap.

Theres an article posted that big brake kits on a daily driver will not decrease the stopping distance. So if this is for a track car, then by all means go for it. The stoptech calipers are recommended over brembo, i believe.

However, if its daily driver just go the route im going. I will be picking up some Techna SS braided lines, as well as a grimspeed master cylinder brace to help firm up the pedal.

Goodluck!

i was thinking about the booster swap and upgrading pads and rotors.

spc2125 02-18-2013 06:15 PM

What i have been told is that most of the abuse is taken from the front brakes. So dont cheap out on those. DBA series rotors and stoptech or hps brand are respectable on here.

robitrice 02-18-2013 06:18 PM

do you track the car? if not just improve the pads and maybe get some stainless steel lines. Braking is great but the biggest upgrade in braking is having good tires. BBK's and crap tires is counter productive.

1astrokeit 02-18-2013 06:38 PM

no i dont plan on tracking the car. i might do it here and there but not on a weekly basis

Windy Road 02-18-2013 06:54 PM

Do the booster and master cylinder swap first along with new pads, rotors, lines, and a fresh fluid change. You will feel a greater difference that way. I did all that and a front brembo swap on my car last year and I loved it.

1astrokeit 02-18-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windy Road (Post 4299850)
Do the booster and master cylinder swap first along with new pads, rotors, lines, and a fresh fluid change. You will feel a greater difference that way. I did all that and a front brembo swap on my car last year and I loved it.

ok ill try that. where at in langhorne are you located? im out there alot and dont see many lgts out there

Windy Road 02-18-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1astrokeit (Post 4299869)
ok ill try that. where at in langhorne are you located? im out there alot and dont see many lgts out there

Near Neshaminy highschool, Neshaminy mall area. I'm on the edge of Trevose and Festerville.

I hardly drive my lgt in the winter, well really this past year she sits a lot. Trying to keep the miles down, there's a few LGT's around here I don't see many either.

1astrokeit 02-18-2013 07:14 PM

Any meets around this area? I dont really know of any around my area except where the ricers go

scoobyscoodle 02-19-2013 12:53 AM

+1 for fresh pads, fluid, ss lines, and rotors. Definitely do the sti booster/MC swap as well if you'd like a much more responsive brake pedal with reduced stroke.

LosAngelesLGT 02-19-2013 01:39 AM

Don't take BBK advice from people who don't have BBK's.

Heedz 02-19-2013 08:33 PM

I had Brembos in the front with stock rears, seems to have better temps and more linear braking. If I hadn't gotten the offer for them plus wheels and rotors... I probably would've ended up with just pads rotors lines and fluid. I drove like a mad man in the mtns. Never on the track though. My buddy who has an RS has over heated brembos and ended up with AP racing calipers.

LosAngelesLGT 02-19-2013 08:44 PM

Did your buddy with the RS track the car or use track pads on the street?

Heedz 02-20-2013 08:04 AM

DS2500 on street, track he tried EBC Reds, the 2500s and DTC 60s