Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   second turbo in month and a half (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201791)

rbi estimator 02-16-2013 03:59 PM

second turbo in month and a half

AI have put on a new turbo and a month and a half and it is giving me trouble again. I caught this one before any thing happened but it seems as if the turbo berings are siezing up. Not sure what is causing this and it is pricey to keep replacing turbos. I have checked the banjo bolt on top of the turbo it is clean and when the car is turned over i have oil flowing. I use this to travel toand from work it not run hard. Any ideas i love this car but at a loss. :confused:

idiot4hire 02-16-2013 04:04 PM

Are you buying used. If you have a used core laying around send it to bnr and get it re built

Indiglow 02-16-2013 04:46 PM

did you clean the oil cooler and banjos after the first failure? if not the new turbo will blow shortly after... you may have oil flow, but it might not be enough.

iNVAR 02-16-2013 05:50 PM

was your oil system thoroughly flushed and cleaned?

rbi estimator 02-18-2013 05:04 AM

second turbo in month and a half

the replacement turbo was bought new, changed the oil and filter and i replaced the banjo bolt that that supplies the turbo. Is there more than one banjo bolt that i need to check if so where is it located. I did not flush the oil cooler I thought changing the oil and filter was all i needed not sure how to go about flushing it but I will research this. Thanks:)

sigmafour 02-18-2013 06:25 AM

what mileage and have you really got good oil pressure - did the last turbo explode into the engine and you're washing debris from the old into the new? Are the oil feed lines truly clear and not crimped or flow restricted by accident? Where did you get the new Turbo from and is it another VF40 and did you get all the other parts needed to claim on the warranty - it is possible it's just not a good unit?

__raj 02-18-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbi estimator (Post 4298790)
the replacement turbo was bought new, changed the oil and filter and i replaced the banjo bolt that that supplies the turbo. Is there more than one banjo bolt that i need to check if so where is it located. I did not flush the oil cooler I thought changing the oil and filter was all i needed not sure how to go about flushing it but I will research this. Thanks:)

This turbo if replaced by a dealer would have been covered by a 1yr/12,000 mile warranty. DIY not sure if a parts warranty applies.

sigmafour 02-18-2013 11:20 AM

Subaru warranty applies if you get the turbo install kit and the required new oil feed lines. Won't apply if you bolt the "wrong" turbo to the "wrong" engine - VF52 on an LGT is no warranty coverage. VF40 only for Subaru warranty on an LGT.

http://www.infamousperformance.net/s...T-Turbo/Detail

In addition to those, you will also be required to purchase & install new Oil Feed Lines in order to validate the warranty on your newly purchased Turbo, so we included those as well.

This Kit Includes:
(1) Oil Feed Line To Turbo
(1) Oil Feed Line To Head
(1) Oil Return Hose
(1) Oil Return Hose Gasket
(2) Filter / Screen Banjo Bolts
(2) Filter / Screen Bolt Copper Washers
(8) Oil Feed Line Copper Washers
(1) Turbo To Downpipe Gasket
(1) Turbo To Up-Pipe Gasket

Max Capacity 02-18-2013 01:47 PM

The banjo you need to look at is on the back of the passenger side head, that's where the filter is.

Andrewxxcarlson 02-21-2013 01:02 PM

I got a vf40 if ya need one! If the bearings keep going bad you got bad oil flow, double check everything. Drain your oil, look for shavings and report back.

RabidWombat 02-21-2013 02:20 PM

Possible oil pickup tube issue? Plenty of people have reported cracked pickup tubes.

rbi estimator 02-22-2013 05:44 AM

Turbo issues

Thanks for the input i am going to tear into it this week end and will report back with my finding, keep your fingers crossed.

Urban Survival Syndrome 02-22-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RabidWombat (Post 4305029)
Possible oil pickup tube issue? Plenty of people have reported cracked pickup tubes.

^^This right here. I blew a turbo and checked my pan. Everthing looked good. I pulled the pick up and it looked great. Then I cleaned the pick up and saw the crack. It was cracked almost completely around the tube.

LosAngelesLGT 02-22-2013 10:59 AM

Same story. Running KB pickup in the LGT and OBXT now.

12sechatch 02-22-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Capacity (Post 4299426)
The banjo you need to look at is on the back of the passenger side head, that's where the filter is.

This. You're looking at the wrong banjo bolt.