Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Suspension question (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201293)

jandreaur 02-07-2013 09:11 PM

Suspension question

Hi All,
I have a '12 Legacy 2.5i that I bought January '12 and currently have 25k on it. Over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed my suspension seems tighter and is making an awful rubbing/squeaking noise when I go over bumps in the road.

I called to schedule an appointment at the dealership for the end of next week and was told "oh, it is probably just the cold weather making it act up". The temp has been anywhere from -35 to 25 since I've started to hear it, but I drove in that type of weather last year. And, I've had several other vehicles over the years and have never experienced behavior like this. I don't think it would be normal for it to be acting like this regardless of the temp.

Has anyone else experienced problems with their suspension in the Legacy?

Ruger357 02-08-2013 10:33 AM

it happens when its cold. could be your rubber bushings on the f/r sways or a few dozen other things. I get it a lot going over speed bumps in my office park.

GTEASER 02-08-2013 10:41 AM

I notice mine is stiffer when it's cold here, and the car is cold, and we only get down to maybe 28. On the flip side of things, the stock shocks suck even more when its 110.

jandreaur 02-15-2013 04:46 PM

Thanks for the input. I brought it to the dealership today and found out it the sway bar bushings were shot, at only 25k! I have to wait to have it repaired until next week because they parts are on order - the service tech said they hardly ever replace them.

sschmelcke 02-15-2013 06:39 PM

The front bushings are known to be shot very soon. I upgraded to poly bushings

GTEASER 02-15-2013 06:49 PM

I just got a Whiteline swaybar for the rear, and will get one soon for the front, and I will never have to deal with the OEM sway bar bushing again. I don't really care if they are covered by warranty or not, the stock sway bars (esp. the rear) are way too soft and the Whiteline has made a huge difference in handling without affecting ride comfort. The car is actually a lot more predictable and confidence inspiring than before.

lump_a_charcoal 12-08-2013 11:13 PM

Can the front swaybar be changed without dropping the subframe?

GTEASER 12-09-2013 10:06 AM

No. At least one person here has tried it and it didn't work. This is something that you probably want a reputable shop undertake for you.

When I spoke with Mann Engineering (vendor here on the forum) a while back about doing this for me, they said they have done one for another customer but and had to fix the customers mess from his attempt in his driveway. Apparently the guy cross threaded the subframe bolts because the subframe wouldn't line back up properly. As soon as they got it on a proper lift it went back together fine.

Rutchard 12-09-2013 10:13 AM

well if you drop the subframe without hanging the engine, it's going to come down with the subframe, lol

GTEASER 12-09-2013 10:18 AM

Rutchard is correct, the engine must be unbolted from the subframe and suspended in its normal position, then the subframe dropped a few inches. Then the old sway bar can be threaded out and the new one threaded in between the engine and subframe. I believe that the tie rods must also be disconnected, and possibly the ball joints.

lump_a_charcoal 12-09-2013 01:49 PM

OK, thanks for the confirmation.
I might get the control arm bushes done at the same time in that case.

thejbon 12-09-2013 03:36 PM

I got a rear sway bar a while ago, and my car started making a squeaking noise over bumps in the cold. brought it to the guy who installed it and the bushings were dry without grease. lobbed some more on and it hasn't had any problems in over a year