Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Process West TMIC and splitter fitment issues (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201285)

scoobydoobie 02-07-2013 05:52 PM

Process West TMIC and splitter fitment issues

The rear most part of my splitter sits on the IC in a way that it blocks the last two rows of fins from getting air . The front edge of the splitter does not touch the IC, probably a 1" or more gap between the splitter edge and front of the IC. So the IC is not fully sealed by the splitter, and the last two rows of fins are not getting air. Anyone else have issues aligning the TMIC/Splitter together?

It would seem that to make things right, I would need to move the entire TMIC toward the front of the car another inch or so. There's no way to make that happen. Or I could possibly move the splitter back slightly to allow all the fins to have airflow, and to have it seal on the front. Not sure the best way to be going about doing this though as I have used the proper mounting points for the splitter.

Anyone else had these issues? If so, how did you fix them? Any advice is appreciated.

I swear I've had more issues with this IC over the past two weeks than I did with my RacerX front mount in two years. I've been doing nothing but chasing and fixing boost leaks, and adjusting fitment since I installed it a couple weeks ago. It does its job well though, cold to the touch after a few spirited drives and hit an overboost CEL for the first time ever today. That was a little nerve wracking. C'mon Infamous with that revision...

laff79 02-07-2013 06:26 PM

pm BMX...oh wait...nvm

theres a thread dedicated to this tmic somewhere

scoobydoobie 02-08-2013 07:51 AM

Found it last night and read the first 31 pages out of 48. Yes I like the shorter pages of noob settings.

Only fitment issues I really hear people talking about is their BOV hitting the hood.

.:Catalyst:. 02-08-2013 10:35 AM

My PW splitter does seat on the core in the front, but does not include the back two rows of fins. I measured the splitter for someone else that had to modify their duct considerably and they were sending a note to PW since it seemed the splitter they had was different dimensions than mine.

My only issue has been cutting the insulation on the hood to allow a bit more room for the Forge BPV and putting in some adhesive cushion to the hood where it touches. On their australian forum they were discussing an update for fitment to avoid the BPV issues. No update on that from what I've seen.

.:Catalyst:. 02-08-2013 10:37 AM

It was liuetenantcolumbo after checking PMs who had a slightly larger opening on their duct than my kit did. Might shoot him a note to see what came from contacting PW.

scoobydoobie 02-09-2013 11:53 AM

Thanks :Catalyst:. Strange that you have the same issues of the splitter blocking the last 2 rows of fins, yet it fits on your core on the front. I will shoot Lt. Colombo a PM soon.

Anyone else having fitment issues?

2manysubies 02-09-2013 02:41 PM

When I installed my PW, I put the seals on the front and back reversed, made a great connection in the rear and a good one in front, I think I persuaded the splitter a bit too. I put baby powder on the TMIC and some light oil on the seal to verify fitment. The bracket that mounts on the pass. side was all wrong, did a little fab and all is well. Killer TMIC!!

Mac

scoobydoobie 02-13-2013 10:55 AM

bump for more feedback form PW users

starionesir 02-13-2013 11:33 AM

2manysubies the bracket for the passenger side that mounts the intercooler what problem did you have? I had a issue with mine had to make a spacer for the bellhousing bolt.

Dbl_D718 02-14-2013 05:54 AM

My install went very smoothly and everything lined up great. Splitter to IC fitment side to side is nearly perfect as is the front seal, but I don't remember if my back two rows are covered or not. I'll check that out later today and report back.

Overall though, I was really happy with mine. I was surprised when people started posting fitment issues. Mine's been on since around June last year; I wonder if something has changed since then.

DeltaNu1142 02-14-2013 06:01 AM

Well, now I'm curious.

My OEM BPV was definitely contacting the hood insulation. I recently installed a Forge, which may be slightly shorter; I'll have a look at that.

On the ducting, when I have time I'll cover the TMIC in painter's tape, then dust the rubber duct seal with powder & see how it looks. I have no reason to believe there's a sealing issue, by looking through the hood scoop with the hood closed.

starionesir 02-14-2013 06:03 AM

Kev from process west just emailed me and my fitment issue is because my car is a 5EAT and I need a spacer and different pipe which he is sending me out right away. Fantastic customer service and other then the couple issues love the intercooler.

DeltaNu1142 02-14-2013 06:10 AM

Jeeezus. How many handicaps does one AWD sports sedan need? First, an auto tranny, now this... :D

scoobydoobie 02-14-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starionesir (Post 4293858)
Kev from process west just emailed me and my fitment issue is because my car is a 5EAT and I need a spacer and different pipe which he is sending me out right away. Fantastic customer service and other then the couple issues love the intercooler.

I'm a 5EAT as well I just used a few washers as a spacer for the bell housing bolt. What different pipe is he sending you? Did you have issues with the splitter fitment on the core or just with the passenger side bracket?

scoobydoobie 02-14-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 (Post 4293857)
Well, now I'm curious.

On the ducting, when I have time I'll cover the TMIC in painter's tape, then dust the rubber duct seal with powder & see how it looks. I have no reason to believe there's a sealing issue, by looking through the hood scoop with the hood closed.

That's what I thought as well until I noticed a faint bit of black on the core right before the last two rows of fins. That's where my splitter was touching.. I was able to reach under the scoop with the hood closed and feel the gap between the front of the splitter and the core.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 (Post 4293860)
Jeeezus. How many handicaps does one AWD sports sedan need? First, an auto tranny, now this... :D

You hush! :lol: