Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Blue Filter Recall - check yours. (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201248)

islandborn 02-07-2013 10:14 AM

Blue Filter Recall - check yours.

Came across this in another thread - figured it would be good to place here...

https://content.subarunet.com/snet/_...et_message.pdf

I just ordered a six pack from Infamous - they should be good, but I will check. Apparently you can bring them to a Dealership and trade them out....

Austin2334 02-07-2013 10:51 AM

So they seem to have been inspected before being sold it seems depending when the dealers found out. It's weird it doesn't give serial numbers to check besides purchase dates

BarManBean 02-07-2013 10:59 AM

They do give more than just the purchase dates. Each filter has a manufacturing date code on it, you can check your codes against those listed in the defect info.

PoManzAWD 02-07-2013 03:01 PM

Awe Sunnova !@#$%!!

I bought a case (12) of these off eBay months ago.

I'm on my second one and the remaining 10 ALL fall below the A2290X age range. :mad:

I'm not clear based on that write-up if a local subaru parts counter will exchange them for me.

Joel

acumenhokie 02-07-2013 03:17 PM

I gave up on "Subaru" brand filters a while ago.

NickH 02-07-2013 04:29 PM

I have about 10 filters that say "A22411"...Looks like mine are no good.

Thanks,
Nick

DrD123 02-07-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickH (Post 4283708)
I have about 10 filters that say "A22411"...Am I reading it correctly, that my filters are ok?

Nope - those are potentially impacted

"Any Date Code starting with A2290x (where the Julian date is 290 or LOWER and x is any shift- with or without a white paint dot present)."

I had two which were A226xx - brought them to the dealer to check, and they fall into the "potentially impacted" zone, so they replaced them.

I asked if they know what the issue was - they hadn't been told directly from Subaru, but their techs had been reporting that the threads were not straight, so the filter would go on at an angle (and then it would compress one side of the gasket more than the other, then leak on the loose side, apparently).

I am sure if you only have a few filters, or you have a lot that you bought from your local dealer, they will change them out for you. I am guessing they would baulk if you brought in a case that you bought somewhere else.

NickH 02-07-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrD123 (Post 4283720)
Nope - those are potentially impacted

"Any Date Code starting with A2290x (where the Julian date is 290 or LOWER and x is any shift- with or without a white paint dot present)."

I had two which were A226xx - brought them to the dealer to check, and they fall into the "potentially impacted" zone, so they replaced them.

I asked if they know what the issue was - they hadn't been told directly from Subaru, but their techs had been reporting that the threads were not straight, so the filter would go on at an angle (and then it would compress one side of the gasket more than the other, then leak on the loose side, apparently).

I am sure if you only have a few filters, or you have a lot that you bought from your local dealer, they will change them out for you. I am guessing they would baulk if you brought in a case that you bought somewhere else.

Thanks for the response. I reread my post before you had responded and realized that I'll be taking a trip to the dealer tomorrow.

Nick

PoManzAWD 02-07-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrD123 (Post 4283720)

Hopefully that's it.

I'm on the second one of the 12 (effected filters) I bought and just did an oil change a week or two ago. Both were leak free. In fact, I cut open the one I just took off and it was perfect. Pleats nice and even, etc. That one was in service for about 6000mi.

Joel

NickH 02-08-2013 08:59 AM

I'm heading to the dealer in 30 minutes to exchange 11 filters. I will report back.

Nick

NickH 02-08-2013 10:46 AM

They exchanged all 11 filters with filters that have white numbers and initials to indicate they have passed the vendor's secondary inspection.

They were shocked that I had received this information already.

Nick

PoManzAWD 02-08-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickH (Post 4284755)
They exchanged all 11 filters with filters that have white numbers and initials to indicate they have passed the vendor's secondary inspection.

Nick

Nick, did you purchase the 'bad' filters from this parts counter?

Joel

NickH 02-08-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoManzAWD (Post 4285068)
Nick, did you purchase the 'bad' filters from this parts counter?

Joel

Nope. I ordered them online. You shouldn't have any issues if they are still in their shrink wrap.

Nick

DrD123 02-08-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickH (Post 4284755)

Good deal!

The info has been out since October (subaruonlineparts.com actually posted the memo which was sent out to service managers a few days after it came out - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea....html?t=195346) - there is a revised memo which came out with more info on it recently, but the info has been available to them for quite some time)

PoManzAWD 02-08-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickH (Post 4285110)
Nope. I ordered them online. You shouldn't have any issues if they are still in their shrink wrap.

Nick

Good deal. Thanks!

Joel