Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Installed Perrin Up-pipe, after pulling downpipe, bad news (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200997)

-Samurai- 02-03-2013 08:38 PM

Installed Perrin Up-pipe, after pulling downpipe, bad news
 
So I ordered a catless Perrin up-pipe, and it came in the mail I was happier than ever. Went to install it today after pulling the downpipe I thought I'd check the shaft play on the ol' turbo and just as I felt it my heart sunk. It probably moved side to side at least 1/2 a cm and in and out maybe a few milimeters. Its definately shot... No oil was leaking out of it and it didnt burn any obscene amount of oil that would make a differece in the oil levels. So It must just barely be hanging on right now. I can not beleive it was not blown by now. Anyways I'm sure you all hearn enough stories about that...

My question is that I was not able to find much info on here about was aftermarket OEM spec direct bolt on turbos. I can find them for around 400-550 brand new, then looking at OEM IHI's around 1200. I dont haver the cash to be dropping on an OEM IHI. But does anyone have any experience with other offbrand OEM spec turbos that carry the VF40 specs? They have 1 year warranties and such but im still kinda iffy on them. If they have worked great for others I wont feel so worried about buying it and installing the new turbo ASAP!

Any help guys, please! I need my car back. I'll still be driving it to work, luckily I work about a mile and half away from home. I will not be driving any distance till a new turbo. :spin::(

Screamin 02-03-2013 09:23 PM

Doesn't seem like much play to me. I've watched some vids of "no shaft play" and with no oil pressure there is a very slight movement to the shaft.

I could be wrong though, this is my first turbo car. My last 3 were LSx NA and nitrous Camaro's.

BarManBean 02-03-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screamin (Post 4276689)
Doesn't seem like much play to me. I've watched some vids of "no shaft play" and with no oil pressure there is a very slight movement to the shaft.

I could be wrong though, this is my first turbo car. My last 3 were LSx NA and nitrous Camaro's.

If it's actually 1/2 cm side to side that's a lot, and anything "in and out" is pretty bad--AFAIK it shouldn't have that type of movement even without oil pressure.

OP, sounds like your best bet is to pick up a lightly used VF40/VF46 in the classified. They can typically be had for $250-$400 and you won't need a tune. Anything else that is aftermarket will really require a tune to go with it.

-Samurai- 02-03-2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screamin (Post 4276689)
Doesn't seem like much play to me. I've watched some vids of "no shaft play" and with no oil pressure there is a very slight movement to the shaft.

I could be wrong though, this is my first turbo car. My last 3 were LSx NA and nitrous Camaro's.

Yeah from what I've researched on before I even checked my own (never had a reason to till now) But yeah as much as it moves is definately not healthy. Odd as it doesnt make wierd noise and no codes are being thrown.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarManBean (Post 4276742)
If it's actually 1/2 cm side to side that's a lot, and anything "in and out" is pretty bad--AFAIK it shouldn't have that type of movement even without oil pressure.

OP, sounds like your best bet is to pick up a lightly used VF40/VF46 in the classified. They can typically be had for $250-$400 and you won't need a tune. Anything else that is aftermarket will really require a tune to go with it.

I was thinking of buying a rebuilt factory VF40. The case is used but the bearing cartridge is brand new and computer balanced the seller says. About 10 pics of it and the thing looks literally brand new. He's asking $550 for it no core charge. What do you think?

-Samurai- 02-03-2013 10:36 PM

Side note:

Whats the part numbers for each side of the stock TMI (new for new turbo install)?

Part numbers for the copper banjo bolt washers/coolant? Are they different?

ehsnils 02-03-2013 10:39 PM

You discovered that it was bad before it blew up - that's good. The bad thing is the money you need to get a new turbo. On the other hand you will have a good core for rebuild so the old turbo isn't completely worthless.

Maybe you should look at a twin scroll turbo?

And 1/2cm is bad... I'm surprised that it hadn't died yet.

bigjweb 02-03-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarManBean (Post 4276742)
If it's actually 1/2 cm side to side that's a lot, and anything "in and out" is pretty bad--

Is there even a 1/2 a cm of space in between the housing and the fins?

-Samurai- 02-03-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ehsnils (Post 4276801)
You discovered that it was bad before it blew up - that's good. The bad thing is the money you need to get a new turbo. On the other hand you will have a good core for rebuild so the old turbo isn't completely worthless.

Maybe you should look at a twin scroll turbo?

And 1/2cm is bad... I'm surprised that it hadn't died yet.

Im pretty new to turbos, whats a twin scroll? And yes I am very glad I didnt blow the turbo not knowing it was bad. I was lucky to find it now. Does anyone know anyone that buy core's to rebuild them? Because I dont think I'll be rebuilding mine. Just replacing.

And yes I am VERY surprised its still holding on for dear life...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjweb (Post 4276803)
Is there even a 1/2 a cm of space in between the housing and the fins?

When I'm able to push it in then move it side to side yep definitely feels like it...

fahr_side 02-03-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjweb (Post 4276803)
Is there even a 1/2 a cm of space in between the housing and the fins?

Depends how bashed up the turbine is eh? ;)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74...r/b5073613.jpg

Oregon OBXT 02-03-2013 11:42 PM

1/2 cm is huge for a tight tolerance device! Although your perception of 1/2 cm may not actually be 1/2 cm.

Was it really not giving any signs? As in bad noises?


Check BNR 16G. They're OEM pnp for a very reasonable price.

BarManBean 02-04-2013 06:52 AM

Bryan at BNR also has VF40 rebuilds for a reasonable price--if you are going to go that route, no reason to go anywhere else. He really seems to support his products within this community.

Max Capacity 02-04-2013 08:37 AM

www.6starspeed.com has rebuilt turbos.

You may want a new oil return line too.

The crush washers are different sizes.

While getting the washers at the dealer pick up 5 or 6 bolts that hold the up pipe bracket to the block and bolt the turbo to the up pipe. its much easier.

archer1.8 02-04-2013 11:30 AM

Good think you found the problem before it blew up and left you stranded. I would pick up a low milage used vf40/vf46 and be happy.

However you could also pick up a vf52 for a few more bills and get an e tune

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...es-196777.html

ehsnils 02-04-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Samurai- (Post 4276808)
Im pretty new to turbos, whats a twin scroll? And yes I am very glad I didnt blow the turbo not knowing it was bad. I was lucky to find it now. Does anyone know anyone that buy core's to rebuild them? Because I dont think I'll be rebuilding mine. Just replacing.

A twin scroll is a configuration where there are two separate channels inside the turbo from each cylinder pair which gives a higher gas speed to the turbine and a bit better response at lower rpms.
http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/mod...ll-diagram.jpg

If you just plan to replace the turbo with an identical some shops are can take the old turbo in return and you will get some discount. Or if someone else needs a turbo for replacement your old turbo would probably be a good core to rebuild from.

O.C.D. 02-04-2013 02:20 PM

Never thought to look how a twin scroll works. Thanks for the above pic.

And if you (OP) can swing it just buy a VF52 and enjoy the reaping of your purchase.

Seriously, if you can scratch up the difference for the 52 you will be so much happier.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:33 AM.


LegacyGT.com