Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Turbo Powertrains (2.0GT, 2.5GT, 2.5XT) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   When to check engine oil, hot or cold? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200649)

benena 01-29-2013 12:37 PM

When to check engine oil, hot or cold?

Hello, I think I am at the right section on the forums.

2005 LGT 5eat
55k miles
stock
Last oil change about 1500 miles at Subaru dealership using OEM oil + filter.

So I just checked my engine oil and first thing I noticed was that the oil was very dark. So I checked the oil level (car was cold) and it was reading 1/2 empty (full, whatever) So freaking out, I drove about 1 mile and bought 2 quarts of 05w 30 oil. I checked the dip stick again before I put the oil in and now it was reading full... Now being totally unsure and confused I just put in 1 qt and it was still reading full (not exceeding that top groove)

I searched but couldn't find any info on whether to check oil level when engine is cold or hot, sorry.

Prior to the last oil change, I used Motul and the oil color never got this dark nor did it burn any oil (I cannot remember if I ever check the dipstick when the engine was cold)

So did I just make a huge mistake? What should be my next step? I did notice the car idling even lower.

Thanks,
Ben

benena 01-29-2013 01:10 PM

ok simply put, am I suppose to check the dipstick when the engine is cold or hot? I know, probably answered somewhere on some topic, but believe me I searched.

KCwagon 01-29-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benena (Post 4268343)
ok simply put, am I suppose to check the dipstick when the engine is cold or hot? I know, probably answered somewhere on some topic, but believe me I searched.

Your answer is in post #2

benena 01-29-2013 01:48 PM

SHIT! that means I just put 1 quart of extra oil... do I need to drain? this dipstick is retarded.

tdelker 01-29-2013 01:49 PM

Strange. I always have checked my engine oil when cold, usually first thing in the morning. Seems to give consistent readings. As long as it's between the lines, you are good.

gimpydingo 01-29-2013 02:33 PM

I've checked cold and right after a long commute home (let it sit a minute). Dipstick sucks, but either way I can tell roughly how much I need to add.

benena 01-29-2013 02:37 PM

But that's the thing. At cold it was 1/2 but after it was warm, it was hitting full. So which is right?

thanks for all the inputs

tdelker 01-29-2013 03:58 PM

I suspect the warm reading is spurious. 1/2 is fine, over full is bad since it might cause it to froth. I would make sure it is at least above the L mark and below the F mark for all readings if I wasn't sure what I was seeing.

xt2005bonbon 01-30-2013 05:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You can check oil level whether cold or hot. See attached picture below.
If cold, the full level should be where the F mark is on the dipstick. If hot, the full oil level should be at the tick as shown on the pic. As previously mentioned, all of these measurements must be done on a flat surface. This information can be found in the user manual.

Max Capacity 01-30-2013 06:49 AM

Check around here and you'll find a picture of why it's hars to get a good reading. The stick goes into the oil pan at about a 45* angle.

I always check my oil when cold.

gimpydingo 01-30-2013 08:22 AM

And def not easy to read, it's different on both sides of the stick. But going from 1/2 to full when warm is a big jump. After the car is warm, pull the stick up, let it sit for a few min, and then check it a few times to get a reading. I take the avg between both sides (if it's not lining up, sometimes it does, sometimes not so much)

Max Capacity 01-30-2013 09:16 AM

You can remove the o-ring from the top of the stick, it sometimes helps in getting a correct reading.

This has been covered a 1000 times on here.

fishbone 01-31-2013 11:05 AM

You can dump a full 5 quart jug in there instead of the quoted 4.-something according to the manual. Several of us have been doing it for years, as well as some dealers.
The dipstick will read high, you'll see the oil up to where the bend is.
This is perfectly fine but of course I would watch the level before dumping a 5 quart jug in there just so you don't end up severly overfilled for whatever reason.

Max Capacity 01-31-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishbone (Post 4272062)
You can dump a full 5 quart jug in there instead of the quoted 4.-something according to the manual. Several of us have been doing it for years, as well as some dealers.
The dipstick will read high, you'll see the oil up to where the bend is.
This is perfectly fine but of course I would watch the level before dumping a 5 quart jug in there just so you don't end up severly overfilled for whatever reason.

Thinking about how deep the oil pan is, and how high the crank is. I agree.

fishbone 02-01-2013 03:00 PM

The crank sits high because Boxer, bitches!