Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Stage 2+ 5th Gen Owners, I need your advice/help (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200593)

pfoyle 01-28-2013 06:47 PM

Stage 2+ 5th Gen Owners, I need your advice/help

So currently my LGT is Stage 2 with Invidia TBE and a Brentune. I also have a 20mm Whiteline adjustable RSB set on the 21mm setting and a GTSpec FSTB. When (if?) they are available, I have already pre-ordered the RCE black/Bilstein shocks package. Unless this build falls through, I will go that route for the suspension rather than coilovers.

In the Spring, I will be purchasing and installing the RacerX TMIC and getting dyno-tuned once more.

My question for you guys: Are there any other obvious/simple (power) mods I should be considering before bolting her to the dyno again? I'm not considering a turbo swap at this point, so mostly I'm curious about bolt-on parts/swaps that are simple but will provide noticeable gains. I don't feel any NEED to do more than the upgraded TMIC at this point, but if there's something obvious that I'm missing, I'll certainly consider it. Seems like most of the other power gains people are getting are from significant changes, which I probably don't have the $$$ for at this point...

Eventually I will do some work on the transmission, but with a dyno-tune already lined up, I'm limiting myself to straightforward HP/TQ gains at this point, again, for monetary reasons.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you all can provide. Look forward to hearing what y'all have to say!

acumenhokie 01-28-2013 06:55 PM

Have you upgraded your clutch yet? Might want to set some money aside for that.

Other options people seem to be exploring are e85 and upgrading the BPV. Pretty sure those are the only things left before you need to take the plunge. :)

minuccims 01-28-2013 07:04 PM

IDC is 96% on Stage II tune.

Not a direct performance mod but injectors and fuel pump may be on your list. Recent interest in stock BOV/BPV not holding pressure >19 psi; replacing the quite restrictive turbo inlet pipe.

These would be companion mods to support the TMIC upgrade to get the best performance out of it.

pfoyle 01-28-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acumenhokie (Post 4267116)
Have you upgraded your clutch yet? Might want to set some money aside for that.

Other options people seem to be exploring are e85 and upgrading the BPV. Pretty sure those are the only things left before you need to take the plunge. :)

Tax return is actually my emergency clutch fund! No slippage yet (knock on wood), but I am prepared for the eventual failure... I'll do some searching soon, but off the top of your head, do you know what people have upgraded to? All I know is the SPEC clutch kits do NOT come highly recommended...

Quote:

Originally Posted by minuccims (Post 4267135)
IDC is 96% on Stage II tune.

Not a direct performance mod but injectors and fuel pump may be on your list. Recent interest in stock BOV/BPV not holding pressure >19 psi; replacing the quite restrictive turbo inlet pipe.

These would be companion mods to support the TMIC upgrade to get the best performance out of it.

Thanks minuccims! Forgive my ignorance, but what is IDC? Injectors/pumps are on my radar, but not sure that's in the cards right now. Is the turbo inlet pipe the major point of restriction after the TMIC is upgraded? I'm keeping up with the BOV/BPV but haven't made the decision there yet... Tune is at the end of March, TMIC going on around then too, so those might make the install list before all is said and done...

minuccims 01-28-2013 07:24 PM

Not prob. Injector Duty Cycle. If you tune on a Sat, maybe I'll drive over to Bren. Don't see many 5th gens!

Blizzard 01-28-2013 07:37 PM

I think my IDC is even worse than 96% can't remember what Mike said now. Stock injectors and stock pump.

I think the clutch/flywheel is the biggest thing to worry about. Probably followed by the diverter valve which all of us seem to think leaks after 18PSI.

Do not buy a Spec clutch. My experience with Clutch Masters hasn't been that great either. ACT's seem to work well but have a seriously hard pedal. See what local shops have good experience with.

blklgt05 01-28-2013 08:00 PM

I currently have AP+Invidia TBE and Synapse Engineering's BPV (taken off temporally).

Synapse is designing a big TMIC from the ground up and an inlet pipe as well. That should be ready around end of March. After that, I'll get Crawford's AOS installed, then NGK plugs, inj+pump and get it tuned.

pfoyle 01-28-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minuccims (Post 4267164)
Not prob. Injector Duty Cycle. If you tune on a Sat, maybe I'll drive over to Bren. Don't see many 5th gens!

Currently targeting Sat March 30th for an LGT.com tuning day (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...-2-199246.html)... if Ellesidil ends up picking up the AP, he might be in for his Stage 1 tune as well... Would be great to see/meet you there, hopefully 3 USDM 5th Gens in the same parking lot won't implode the universe or anything! :spin:

Ellesedil 01-28-2013 09:45 PM

I'll try to go regardless if I have an AP or not.

wrxwhit 01-28-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfoyle (Post 4267213)
Currently targeting Sat March 30th for an LGT.com tuning day (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...-2-199246.html)... if Ellesidil ends up picking up the AP, he might be in for his Stage 1 tune as well... Would be great to see/meet you there, hopefully 3 USDM 5th Gens in the same parking lot won't implode the universe or anything! :spin:

I maybe the 4th, got to redirect where my spending is going and maybe ready for a stage 2 dyno tune by that time. To be determined....

pfoyle 01-29-2013 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellesedil (Post 4267399)
I'll try to go regardless if I have an AP or not.

Good to hear buddy! But I guarantee you'll enjoy it more if you bring an AP (and a few hundred bucks) with you! ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxwhit (Post 4267475)
I maybe the 4th, got to redirect where my spending is going and maybe ready for a stage 2 dyno tune by that time. To be determined....

Redirect! Redirect it all! You/family don't need to eat as much... we can all stand to lose a few pounds! ;) 3 Stage 2+ 5th Gens and a (potentially) Stage 1 LGT?! :eek: We could affect the earth's rotation with all that torque! :spin::lol:

islandborn 01-29-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfoyle (Post 4267155)
Tax return is actually my emergency clutch fund! No slippage yet (knock on wood), but I am prepared for the eventual failure... I'll do some searching soon, but off the top of your head, do you know what people have upgraded to? All I know is the SPEC clutch kits do NOT come highly recommended....

Cobb in Plano and my tuner here like the ClutchMasters FX300 for my power levels....
(http://clutchmasters.com/index.php?m...=GetPage&id=17)

Just throwing this into the pit. :)

Blizzard 01-29-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandborn (Post 4267795)
Cobb in Plano and my tuner here like the ClutchMasters FX300 for my power levels....
(http://clutchmasters.com/index.php?m...=GetPage&id=17)

Just throwing this into the pit. :)

I'd honestly like to see someone else try a Clutch Masters clutch.

islandborn 01-29-2013 12:45 PM

I will... its on my list to buy. I'll let ya know.

Brainchild Customs 01-29-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blklgt05 (Post 4267210)
I currently have AP+Invidia TBE and Synapse Engineering's BPV (taken off temporally).

Synapse is designing a big TMIC from the ground up and an inlet pipe as well. That should be ready around end of March. After that, I'll get Crawford's AOS installed, then NGK plugs, inj+pump and get it tuned.

AVO told me that their top mount is going to be ready sometime soon as well. I asked to be put on a waiting list. There's also the ARC topmount available, but it's about $2300.:lol:

OP, you're pretty much right at the limit of the stock turbo as is.

The TMIC should help and as others have said, build up the supporting items next - clutch, fuel system, etc..