Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Cooling issues (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200453)

Peacesells 01-26-2013 02:17 PM

Cooling issues

i have a 2.5 n/a and my car just hit 56k and now it cant go more than 2 miles without over heating. fans seem to be running but coolant doesnt seem to be flowing. Id assume it was the water pump but this soon in the cars life? doesnt seem right.

CHUCKmfnNORRIS 01-27-2013 01:03 PM

thermostat might need replacing.

Peacesells 01-27-2013 05:21 PM

its leaking for sure somewhere too. would a thermostat cause that?

nadracer 01-27-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peacesells (Post 4265636)
its leaking for sure somewhere too. would a thermostat cause that?

No but a head gasket would but I haven't heard anything about a 5th gen with a leaky head gasket yet. If the thermostat doesn't open it could cause the coolant to try to escape another way; that should be easy to pick out. Do you have a sweet smell coming from the vents or around the engine when its running and up to temperature? Any smoke? Do you see any liquid under the car where its parked?

Peacesells 01-28-2013 01:04 PM

I was thinking maybe a head gasket too :/ Mine is a 2010 could just be a first year problem. There is a little coolant on the suspension arm but i cant see where it came from. Im not sure about the smell it just smelled like coolant to me , also the car wouldnt blow warm air just cold. No smoke from what i could tell but there was steam around the radiator for a second when i opened the hood. No liquid leaking under the car.

Peacesells 01-28-2013 01:16 PM

im at the point of just fixing my legacy and selling it once its finished with this repair and just getting an sti wagon since i cant find a close by legacy gt. as much as i love my car i want a turbo and should have gotten one but there were no gts and automatics just dont cut it to me in the snow.

03MonteSS 01-30-2013 06:41 PM

it's the water pump or a restriction in the system, get it fixed ASAP or face engine damage

Peacesells 02-04-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03MonteSS (Post 4271096)
it's the water pump or a restriction in the system, get it fixed ASAP or face engine damage

well thats obvious. its been at the dealer for over a week they dont want to admit its the internal then they'd have to warranty it.

Magic Marker 02-04-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peacesells (Post 4277661)
well thats obvious. its been at the dealer for over a week they dont want to admit its the internal then they'd have to warranty it.

How would it be a warranty issue at 56k?

Peacesells 02-04-2013 04:00 PM

its internal subaru has a 60k powertrain warranty standard on just the internal components of the engine. the water pump is cover under that not the temp gauge or anything external.

PoManzAWD 02-04-2013 09:00 PM

This is a 2010 2.5i CVT? The 5yr/60K should cover it.

If you overheated it, especially several times like you describe, that EJ253 is going to pretty much need a complete overhaul.

Engine out, heads off to be checked/machined, new head gaskets, etc...etc. An expensive dealer job.

Joel

Peacesells 02-05-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoManzAWD (Post 4278576)
This is a 2010 2.5i CVT? The 5yr/60K should cover it.

If you overheated it, especially several times like you describe, that EJ253 is going to pretty much need a complete overhaul.

Engine out, heads off to be checked/machined, new head gaskets, etc...etc. An expensive dealer job.

Joel

its never been 100% over heated just flashed the red temp light. Dealer thought it was thermostat but that wasnt the case. Now they think its the radiator cap but i dont believe that. seems like a water pump to me. and its not cvt (no offense but yuck) its the 6speed. honestly though if anyone lives in san diego avoid bob baker subaru.... they really are horrible for customer care and repairs.

Peacesells 02-05-2013 07:04 PM

Ok so it took me reporting the dealer to subaru of america for never fixing my car but continuously charging me to look at it. Took subaru getting directly involved for them to even test for a head gasket and water pump. should know by tomorrow afternoon which of the two issues it is.

Peacesells 02-06-2013 03:55 PM

its a head gasket subaru is keeping it for 2 more weeks for agrand total of 3 1/2 weeks and its all under warranty.

minuccims 02-06-2013 05:19 PM

Anything good for a loaner?

Do you have any confidence with the service department?