Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   '12 LGT front end damage (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200391)

tuck16 01-25-2013 11:56 AM

'12 LGT front end damage

2 Attachment(s)
Just hit a large cone on the freeway. :icon_mad: I even called it in and had the DOT pick it up so i could see if there was a company name on it so i could get them to pay for it, but no luck.
Has anyone had to replace their LGT front bumper recently? What should i know before i head in to talk to a couple body shops? Does SOA sell prepainted pieces to match or do they only come unpainted and the shop has to spray? I assume that i have to ask for Genuine SOA parts during the repair? Thanks for any helpful input.

laz 01-25-2013 11:59 AM

That sucks. New bumper cover. Also fog light housing. The bodyshop will paint it to match. Time to use your insurance, hope your deductible is not high.

X

MN3.6R 01-25-2013 12:00 PM

DO NOT USE YOUR INSURANCE, this will be an at fault accident. If its just the bumper, you can get one from rock auto primered and shipped for about $215, get it painted for about $200 and install it yourself. otherwise your probably lookinf at over $900 going to a shop, even more if you must really have OEM.

tuck16 01-25-2013 12:02 PM

I guess that is one of my main questions; for a bumper cover is OEM a must? I lean that way because it is still new and i plan on owning it for many years to come and i would assume fitment would be better?

I dont know if this is good or bad karma, but i had an appointment to get the 3M film applied next week, so that will have to wait. :icon_ques

MN3.6R 01-25-2013 12:04 PM

I agree with your reasoning for OEM and would typically go that way for things, I did use Rock Auto for a new bumper when my wife cracked the front of my truck bumper and it fit just fine. I actually painted it myself and all, and I am by no means good at it. But when I traded it in they had no idea it was replaced.

laz 01-25-2013 12:07 PM

http://www.lkqcorp.com/

This guys have OEM bumpers that have been remanufactures. Great company.

X

MN3.6R 01-25-2013 12:08 PM

http://bloomingtonsubaruparts.com/pa...iagram=7526005

Fischbach31 01-25-2013 12:08 PM

Those 2013 front ends look very nice.....

tuck16 01-25-2013 12:12 PM

Why would it be at fault? I didn't put it there, a car in front of me hit it and kicked it up so it was a moving object. Do they try to say that you should have enough time to stop? I don't agree, if the car in front had stopped i would have too but for something to materialize randomly seems unrealistic, similar to a flying stone.

MN3.6R 01-25-2013 12:19 PM

Its how it is. I currently am an Allstate agent and have been in insurance for 5 years. Colorado and Minnesota. Every state may be different, but it goes for potholes and such, I would have to assume this would fall under the same category. It's unfortunate but pretty much anything that is not done by animals, mother nature, fire, theft and vandalism is going to be your fault. If you have an actually agent for your insurance I would call and ask them, if you have one of the 1800-insurance type companies, once you call and ask them if something would be your fault they will make a note and it will be on your file if you ever switch companys, it will show as a claim that was never paid.

GTEASER 01-25-2013 12:20 PM

Years ago driving my 1995 Saturn SL2 merging onto the freeway, an SUV in front of me kicked up one of those 1" thick black rubber bases from one of those vertical/cylindrical cones. It took out the headlight, front bumper, bent the hood and pushed the right fender into the door. Damn that thing made quite a sound, just glad it didn't come thru the windshield. I went back and picked it up (luckily on the side of the highway, not in the middle) and marched down to my insurance agents office. $2200 of body work later, and no money out of pocket for deductible and not counted as fault, I had a shiney new car. Covered under "road hazard".

Sorry to hear about a fellow 2012 LGT getting damaged, but be happy that it wasn't as bad as mine was. :mad:

hmmrdwn 01-25-2013 12:23 PM

If it was flying....it would be comprehensive.

MN3.6R 01-25-2013 12:25 PM

^ This is true too.Again, every state is different, For Colorado and Minnesota, I had never heard of a road hazard claim, I have had clients blow a tire, bend a wheel and ripoff the front bumper and it was an atfault accident unfortunatly.Here in MN if a deer is in the road and you hit it, it is comprehensive, once you swerve to miss the deer and hit say a guard rail, its collsion and an atfault.

ripp3r 01-25-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN3.6R (Post 4262633)
DO NOT USE YOUR INSURANCE, this will be an at fault accident. If its just the bumper, you can get one from rock auto primered and shipped for about $215, get it painted for about $200 and install it yourself. otherwise your probably lookinf at over $900 going to a shop, even more if you must really have OEM.

This is good advice to consider - people take off and put back on their bumpers for headlight mods; there's instructions all over the place. If I were you I would verify that I can find a replacement bumper (and fog light housing) and have it painted for less than my deductible. If that's truly the case then I would take the bumper off myself to inspect for any damage beneath the surface, and if there isn't then pursue the labor myself.

PS. I cry every time I think of a Legacy GT taking damage like this, or even worse being junked altogether. It's not like you can say "F-it, I'm gonna lose out on this one and just buy a new one..." anymore...

3.6rrrrrmatey 01-26-2013 02:45 AM

That's going to get expensive.

The paint shop will want to blend the paint adding $$$$$$$.

Source your own parts Subaru parts are expensive.