Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Legacy Photos (2010 +) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Anyone else consider a CPO TL vs a New Legacy 3.6r? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200383)

dan96max 01-25-2013 11:16 AM

Anyone else consider a CPO TL vs a New Legacy 3.6r?

I posted this on the Acura forum but figured I would try it here also

Hey Guys, Iíve been on this forum lurking around a little bit. Iím in the market for a new car in the coming months and need some opinions. I currently drive a 2004 pathfinder (not armada) and my wife drives an s60. Iím looking for a reasonably powerful AWD sedan for around $30k.

Iíve pretty much ruled out anything European since reliability is high on my priority list. My brother in law owns a G35 that I have driven. I love the 0-60 times but I donít really like anything else about it to be honest. It feels like owning that car would get old really quick. At 6í2 I feel a little cramped in it. Once I eliminate European cars there aren't a lot of other options out there.

So by process of elimination Iíve got myself down to two cars. I know these two cars are in a completely different class but they both meet my requirements. A CPO TL SH-AWD with tech (around 35k miles) or a 2013 Legacy 3.6r Limited (no nav). Both are around $30k. Do any of you have experience with both or has anyone considered a similar scenario? It will be a few weeks before I get out to test drive but the wait is driving me crazy. I was pretty dead set on a TL since I have friends with 3g TLís but a brand new car vs a 3 year old car is pretty tempting.

Fischbach31 01-25-2013 12:06 PM

Find a 5th gen LGT and buy it!!!

dan96max 01-25-2013 12:12 PM

I would love to but I've been having some lower back problems on the left side so a clutch is out of the question right now. Maybe next time around.

Also I failed horribly at putting this thread in the right category. Can a mod move it for me? Thanks!

MN3.6R 01-25-2013 12:23 PM

I have drove both and although Acura CPO has a nice warranty I would go with the 3.6R, less power, not as flashy, but overall cost of ownership will be less.

SBT 01-25-2013 12:27 PM

Definitely different vehicles and very different drivetrains. Acura S-AWD puts a lot of torque through the front end (torque-steer is relentless) and then the rear catches up. Subaru Legacy 3.6R AWD is well-balanced and you'll never have torque steer, just "go" from both axles. I would trust the Subaru full-time AWD to get me into and out of bad weather much more than I would the Acura setup. And the Legacy will feel much lighter on its feet, and that will enhance the driving experience versus the TL. Emergency avoidance in the Legacy will also seem effortless versus the TL.

Ultimately, it comes down to how the two cars handle, drive and utilize their AWD systems, and the overall cost of ownership. IME, when gauged against each other, the Legacy handily tips the scale in its favor on all accounts. The only thing you won't get with the Legacy is a ton of whiz-bang accessories. Not important to me, but it may be to you.

dan96max 01-25-2013 12:39 PM

Thanks for the input and quick replies so far. Not many replies on the Acura forum over the last few days.

I think I would go for a limited 3.6r with sunroof and no nav. The nav looks terrible but to be honest as long as the HK system sounds decent and will play heavy metal off my ipod I'm good. Don't need factory nav. TomTom on my iPhone was only 50 bucks and is probably light years a head of most OEM nav.

My work is also the kind of place that is open 7-5 no matter what so often we're traveling home in the middle of snow storms or early in the AM before the plows are out. I think for those times I would really appreciate the Legacy over the TL. I forgot there's a Subaru dealer about 5 minutes away from work which is a another plus.

I guess I was dead set on a Luxury brand like Acura, Lexus, Volvo, Audi etc. just for status. Half the reason I'm buying a newer car is to get something rock solid reliable while we save for a bigger house. Maybe I should get over the status thing.

Was the power difference between the two really noticeable?

SBT 01-25-2013 03:13 PM

For what you've described, the Legacy will be the better vehicle for you. The 3.6 H-6 is about as bulletproof an engine as you can get. It's been out since 2008 (started life in the Tribeca - which is another model that you might want to shop given your needs above) and coupled to the revised 5EAT (which was reengineered specifically to take advantage of the 3.6's torque and power band), it's nicely matched.

Luxury brands versus near-luxo (3.6R), come at a price premium and they're usually 1-or 2-trick ponies. They do specific things well, where, on-balance, the Legacy does everything well, at less total cost.

awdrifter 01-25-2013 06:10 PM

I know it's also a different category, but I'm in my wife's old 3.6r (2010) now versus my c300... Now granted not the same comparison, but we kept the leggy over the mb because of reliability and cost of ownership. I hope this helps a little, and as for class the 3.6R turns more heads than my mb did because you don't see many if them.

dan96max 01-26-2013 09:15 AM

Thanks for again for all the input on this. The more I look at the legacy the more I think it makes sense. I also see they updated the Nav for 2013 so maybe it isn't as horrible as the previous pictures I've seen of it. It's freezing here in CT right now, hopefully it warms up a little bit so I can get out to do some test drives next week.

slissner 01-26-2013 06:04 PM

I have driven my leased 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD with Advance Package, in other words, the ultimate model, for 24,000 miles. The Acura replaced my 2007 Subaru spec.B, which replaced my 2006 Subaru spec.B. My wife's car is a 2007 Outback 3.0 LL Bean. The Acura has been reliable, fun to drive, when fitted with sticky summer tires, and has a fine audio and seats. On the other hand, the visibility outward is horrific, the trunk is small and awkwardly contoured and the getting in or out of the rear seat is difficult for most people. I plan to replace the Acura with a 2014 Subaru Forester. A 2013 Legacy 3.6 would be fun to drive if fitted with better tires and a modified suspension, but it has so-so headlights and seats.

TheOneDoubleN 01-26-2013 06:16 PM

I was expecting legacy photos damn't, or at least a picture of a car.

dan96max 01-27-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOneDoubleN (Post 4264462)
I was expecting legacy photos damn't, or at least a picture of a car.

lol sorry about that.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy...y13-side24.jpg

vs

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...03-11-2011.jpg

AndreyK 01-27-2013 07:56 PM

SH-AWD is far superior than Legacy's AWD. It has torque-vectoring and will out corner Legacy by far.

2012+ TLs also come with 6AT and nicer styling.

TL is a better car than 3.6R IMO, but 3.6R might be a bit cheaper to maintain due to regular gas. Also TL's backseat doesn't fold I believe.

SBT 01-27-2013 08:18 PM

There's been instances where the SH-AWD fails because of the electronic complexity is completely dependent upon electronics at the rear axle, internal to the differential.

Break the electrical connection anywhere between the trans/ECU and the rear diff and you're open diff FWD.

slissner 01-27-2013 08:31 PM

The Acura's SH-AWD's torque-vectoring does work well, but on a surface with a low coefficient of friction, the Acura will take a moment to send power to the rear unlike the Subaru. Having had two Audi 4.2, a Subaru SVX, two spec.Bs, and an Outback 3.0, I'd say the Acura outshines them all on dry pavement, but not on a slick surface. On snow the Acura is good, but the Subaru and Audi awd systems are my preference. I put sticky summer tires on my 2012 Acura; the result was high cornering limits for such a large, heavy car. The spec.B was more entertaining.