Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   2012 LGT Bad vibration after driving in snowy conditions... (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200276)

SUBIENUBIE13 01-23-2013 06:11 PM

2012 LGT Bad vibration after driving in snowy conditions...

It seems to happen every time i'm driving in the snow. (which is pretty common right now) I drive an hour one way for work, and I first noticed it happening after our first big snowfall in ny and i went out to try out the AWD for the first time in the snow. I try to knock the snow and ice out of my wheel wells the best I can, but it seems to just come back after I get more snow stuck.. Has anyone else experienced this??:confused:

coppertone 01-23-2013 06:17 PM

Yes with my oem multispoke wheels. It felt like just a little added snow through off my balance and caused a slight shake. Haven't had any snow in which the car has been in, but now I am on dedicated snow tires. So we shall see what happens this time. :)

pfoyle 01-23-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUBIENUBIE13 (Post 4259336)
It seems to happen every time i'm driving in the snow. (which is pretty common right now) I drive an hour one way for work, and I first noticed it happening after our first big snowfall in ny and i went out to try out the AWD for the first time in the snow. I try to knock the snow and ice out of my wheel wells the best I can, but it seems to just come back after I get more snow stuck.. Has anyone else experienced this??:confused:

Do you knock the snow out of your RIMS? Snow in the wheel wells will cause it to rub, but snow IN you wheels is usually what causes the vibration (balance off)... Shouldn't re-occur when driving (in a straight line) once you clean it out... Another member also suggested spraying the inside of the wheels with a silicone spray, to prevent snow buildup...

Peaty 01-23-2013 07:05 PM

Be careful with any type of silicone or other spray that is slippery around your brake pads. Your best bet, if you can manage it. Is to spray a rag away from the car, then wipe it on the inside of the rim or whatever you want to apply it on. At the beginning of the winter season I spray a rag with silicone spray and wipe down all the rubber door and trunk weatherstripping. Helps prevent the doors from freezing shut.

I've never done it to the inside of the rims though. I have had snow pack in the rims during bad storms and throw the balance off. I usually go to car wash that has a wand and us that to clean out the snow.

Wild Bill 01-23-2013 08:17 PM

Definitely snow getting packed in the rims. Try throwing the car sideways through the fluffy stuff and then go travel at highway speeds.

Wife hates it when I do that in her car. I always get the call "I can't go above 45!!! :mad:"

SurlyOldManMN 01-23-2013 08:24 PM

Get thee to a touchless carwash after shenanigans. Problem solved.

Captain Ned 01-23-2013 09:27 PM

Those ten-spokes just love to pack snow in. Now that I'm rocking winter steelies I laugh in the face of snow-induced imbalance.

SurlyOldManMN 01-24-2013 12:35 AM

Where did you get steelies that clear our brakes?

Captain Ned 01-24-2013 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurlyOldManMN (Post 4259834)
Where did you get steelies that clear our brakes?

Tire Rack came out with them this year. Even better, they let me buy them without TPMS. $65/wheel and they're in stock.

3.6rrrrrmatey 01-24-2013 04:26 AM

Nothing here I use the factory rims in snow.

dgoodhue 01-24-2013 07:10 AM

The solution is to not slide the car through snow drifts :D. I have had this happened to me in rental car, it's pretty amazing how much vibration you can get on the highway from snow packed in the rims

SCASEYS 01-24-2013 07:20 AM

snow pack in the wheels and wheel wells
thud, thud WTF!
no more parking lot donuts

PeterJMC 01-24-2013 07:26 AM

Cliff notes

Quote:

Originally Posted by coppertone (Post 4259339)
... a little added snow through off my balance and caused a slight shake...

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfoyle (Post 4259429)
Do you knock the snow out of your RIMS? Snow in the wheel wells will cause it to rub, but snow IN you wheels is usually what causes the vibration (balance off)... ...Another member also suggested spraying the inside of the wheels with a silicone spray, to prevent snow buildup...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peaty (Post 4259435)
Be careful with any type of silicone or other spray that is slippery around your brake pads. Your best bet, if you can manage it. Is to spray a rag away from the car, then wipe it on the inside of the rim or whatever you want to apply it on...

...snow pack in the rims during bad storms and throw the balance off...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Bill (Post 4259558)
Definitely snow getting packed in the rims. ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ned (Post 4259627)
... pack snow ... snow-induced imbalance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgoodhue (Post 4260073)
... it's pretty amazing how much vibration you can get on the highway from snow packed in the rims

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCASEYS (Post 4260087)
snow pack in the wheels and wheel wells

:whore:

robinlsb 01-24-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.6rrrrrmatey (Post 4259932)
Nothing here I use the factory rims in snow.

Ditto:) And I have found that even steel rims can have a problem, so------ to the car wash,:lol:

3.6rrrrrmatey 01-25-2013 09:14 AM

I specifically go out and drift the car at 3am in the snow too.

I think the O.P might be a mild hypochondriac.