Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   CBE comparison? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200247)

channoff 01-23-2013 08:18 AM

CBE comparison?

I searched high and low without any luck for a sound comparison on CBEs for 4th gen LGT. A few of old geezers on here want more sound but not a lot more sound. Right now, I have full 3' catless Megan dp to Perrin mid/CBE. IMO, it is LOUD! My neighbors complain.

My question is does anyone have an estimated quiet to loud comparison for common CBEs for us old guys looking for more sound and not all the sound?

stuck686 01-23-2013 08:38 AM

exhaust forum

Nolmers06LGT 01-23-2013 08:38 AM

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ad-102170.html

You really searched high and low? This is literally the first sticky thread in the exhaust section.

robitrice 01-23-2013 08:43 AM

Perrin is one of the louder exhauset for these cars...i have some quieter mufflers that sound good pm me for details.

Strizzy 01-23-2013 09:06 AM

Perrin mid/y with Prodrive mufflers, if you can find them. And equal length headers.

channoff 01-24-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nolmers06LGT (Post 4258363)
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthrea...ad-102170.html

You really searched high and low? This is literally the first sticky thread in the exhaust section.

Yes, I did see that Sticky link while I searched and decided it doesn't help whatsoever. Most of these are recorded on cell phones and from types of phones and perspectives. Sound quality is poor on many and laptop speakers certainly don't help.

I am looking for a written comparison from people who have tried more than one exhaust. Something like, "I have 3" catless Perrin which is MUCH louder than stock, but xxxx exhaust was somewhere in between"

channoff 01-24-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strizzy (Post 4258399)
Perrin mid/y with Prodrive mufflers, if you can find them. And equal length headers.
Legacy GT specB Prodrive exhaust ELH - YouTube

Strizzy, That sounds nice. I have EL headers on my car already and just want something mid way between stock sound and my ridiculous set-up.

Strizzy 01-24-2013 10:23 AM

Keep the Perrin mid/y and try to find a set of Prodrive mufflers.
The Prodrive mufflers with Perrin mid/y are probably the most tame sounding exhaust you can get, other than Stromung. If you can't find Prodrives, you can always get some 2.5" flanges and have an exhaust shop make a set of mufflers with a straight-through fiberglass packed muffler, such as from Magnaflow, and put any tip you would like at the end.

I am also catless in that video and have an external wastegate, which you can hear when I get into boost.

Rockford 01-24-2013 06:08 PM

Oldish guy, here. I did just about all the reading and comparisons one can do online and ended up with a Borla cat-back. Very satisfied. Grumbly and rumbly with no rasp, moderate volume increase without drawing attention unless you mean to. Tips are oversized but not to a grapefruit-holding amount.

It's only 2.5" inch, but I don't think that's a restriction until you're well into stage 3. (I'm a mild stage 3, ~280 HP at the wheels.)

Drift Motion 01-24-2013 06:39 PM

invidia is really quiet

channoff 01-24-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockford (Post 4261373)
Oldish guy, here. I did just about all the reading and comparisons one can do online and ended up with a Borla cat-back. Very satisfied. Grumbly and rumbly with no rasp, moderate volume increase without drawing attention unless you mean to. Tips are oversized but not to a grapefruit-holding amount.

It's only 2.5" inch, but I don't think that's a restriction until you're well into stage 3. (I'm a mild stage 3, ~280 HP at the wheels.)

Thanks, Rockford. Is the Borla set-uo a direct bolt-on or do they have proprietary set-up?

channoff 01-24-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strizzy (Post 4260481)
Keep the Perrin mid/y and try to find a set of Prodrive mufflers.
The Prodrive mufflers with Perrin mid/y are probably the most tame sounding exhaust you can get, other than Stromung. If you can't find Prodrives, you can always get some 2.5" flanges and have an exhaust shop make a set of mufflers with a straight-through fiberglass packed muffler, such as from Magnaflow, and put any tip you would like at the end.

I am also catless in that video and have an external wastegate, which you can hear when I get into boost.

I was under the impression that Stromung won't bolt directly to stock/Perrin set-up. Am I wrong about that?

Zero1 01-24-2013 09:59 PM

Stromung/Cobb bolts directly to stock DP if you have the donut gasket. I might be willing to part with my Cobb CB for the right price complete with suspension bolts and donut gasket/flange...

sigmafour 01-24-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockford (Post 4261373)

I also run the Borla, it's very good, quiet and well made... 333WHP now with no issues from restrictive flow. It's fine for mew and shouldn't be a concern when I add Meth either, I'd be very disappointed if it does...

channoff... direct bolt on.

urfsin 01-24-2013 10:35 PM

channoff, you can always go with the 3rd muffler option. Many members on the board here have done it with nice results.