Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fourth Generation Legacy (2005 - 2009) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   wipers are trashed (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200091)

Riptide 01-20-2013 07:02 PM

wipers are trashed

My driver side wiper is toast and I need to replace it. May as well replace the passenger side.

On subarugenuineparts I am unable to figure out what I need. I can search for and find "wiper blade refills" but it doesn't seem to have one for each side available. I'm not sure what I'm getting there.

Does anyone know the OEM part # for the wiper blade refills, both driver and passenger side?

I've googled it and I can't find it.

TIA

Mr. Sinister 01-20-2013 07:05 PM

I wouldn't bother with OEM inserts, just get an aftermarket blade.

bomberlegacy 01-20-2013 07:08 PM

I've got Bosch on my Honda and RainX wipers on the Leggy.. both are nice

sigmafour 01-20-2013 07:12 PM

just get the rain-X lattitude or the Bosch Evolution as already mentioned... I've used both and can second Mr Bomber. OEM would be a complete waste of time...

Bdubs 01-20-2013 07:13 PM

Don't bother with the OEM blades, get a set of Bosch icons or another hybrid blade.

Strizzy 01-20-2013 10:23 PM

I've been using blades from http://silblade.com/ for a pretty long time on all my vehicles.
The 5 year warranty is pretty nice, too. If the blade starts to go bad, call them up and get them replaced. I've never been able to use the warranty though, as I've never had any go bad.

BAC5.2 01-20-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strizzy (Post 4255131)
I've been using blades from http://silblade.com/ for a pretty long time on all my vehicles.
The 5 year warranty is pretty nice, too. If the blade starts to go bad, call them up and get them replaced. I've never been able to use the warranty though, as I've never had any go bad.

Which model do you use?

Strizzy 01-20-2013 11:53 PM

I've had the standard ones on my Jeeps and shop trucks and the UniBlade on my Raptor. 9 vehicles total. I can't remember if I have them on the LGT.

trhull 01-20-2013 11:53 PM

I use the uniblade. I'm not terribly impressed. I've had them for about a year and they streak fairly bad unless there is a good amount of rain. Also, they've chattered from day one which drives me crazy. I'll probably replace them with some Icons or Evolutions at some point.

kbohip 01-21-2013 12:05 AM

I went with wiper blade refills on mine so I can keep the excellent factory driver's side blade with the aerodynamic wing on it. I've tried all sorts of complete blade replacements on all of my cars for the last 20 years and in the end, the stock blades are almost always superior.

You can get the refills you need at Advance Auto or even on Amazon. You'll need Trico 47-800 8mm for the driver's side and Trico 47-600 6mm for the passenger side. This is the cheapest and best way to go imo, and this is from many years and MANY different brands and types of blades.

Max Capacity 01-21-2013 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbohip (Post 4255193)
I went with wiper blade refills on mine so I can keep the excellent factory driver's side blade with the aerodynamic wing on it. I've tried all sorts of complete blade replacements on all of my cars for the last 20 years and in the end, the stock blades are almost always superior.

You can get the refills you need at Advance Auto or even on Amazon. You'll need Trico 47-800 8mm for the driver's side and Trico 47-600 6mm for the passenger side. This is the cheapest and best way to go imo, and this is from many years and MANY different brands and types of blades.

Pretty much what I do. I even keep a spare set on hand.

.:Catalyst:. 01-21-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbohip (Post 4255193)

I did this on my first replacement and kept the OEM wing on the drivers side. Doesn't work nearly as well as the PIAA Forza Hybrid Silicone blades. The aero on their units blows away that craptastic wing Subaru stuck on there. Pricey option with the PIAAs but they work better than anything I've used (Bosch, RainX etc).

Riptide 01-21-2013 11:01 AM

So the OEM are basically the same as the TRICO?

Thanks guys for the input. The subaru refills at the dealer were only $12.50 a piece so for now I just went with what was handy. We don't have an advance auto in town. However, next time I do this, will get the TRICO off amazon. I was surprised that the dealer didn't want more for the refills considering how much they normally charge for parts.

stanjk3 01-21-2013 01:19 PM

Tirerack also sells wiper blades:
http://www.tirerack.com/wipers/resul...odClar=Limited

Valeos are good, but my current (2nd) set started streaking after only a couple months. But they are still quiet and work well enough.

kbohip 01-21-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .:Catalyst:. (Post 4255596)
I did this on my first replacement and kept the OEM wing on the drivers side. Doesn't work nearly as well as the PIAA Forza Hybrid Silicone blades. The aero on their units blows away that craptastic wing Subaru stuck on there. Pricey option with the PIAAs but they work better than anything I've used (Bosch, RainX etc).

I might try these out on my Maxima. I currently have some crappy Good Year wipers I bought from Costco and they barely last a year. Now they are making a ton of noise in below freezing weather.

Oh, just saw the price on the PIAA's. $33.xx from Amazon for a 26"! We just don't get enough precip. here in Colorado Springs to make them worth it for me.