Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Tweeter Wiring (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200061)

dfoley4 01-20-2013 10:01 AM

Tweeter Wiring

Sorry if this has been asked before but upon searching I was unable to find an answer.

I am installing a set of component speakers in the front and am wondering how the tweeters are connected in the stock locations. Is it parallel running from the HU to the woofer and then to the tweeters? or is it two separate lines from the HU?

dfoley4 01-20-2013 05:48 PM

Found the answer during my install today. In case anyone was wondering the tweeters do not pass through the woofer in the door so they must be wired elsewhere. Also, because I made this mistake and I'm sure others will:

Left Tweeter: Brown Wire (+)
Right Tweeter: Red Wire (+)

cbass85 01-21-2013 03:24 PM

did you use the stock wires all the way from the HU? So not the crossovers that came with the components?

CHUCKmfnNORRIS 01-21-2013 03:45 PM

any time i put new speakers in i always run all new speaker wires, the factory wires are fairly small, if you are going to be running 100+ watts through them, they are not going to give you the best signal.

dfoley4 01-22-2013 12:25 PM

I used the stock wiring as I'm not putting that much power through them. I did still use the crossovers though. I just wired them in line with the stock connections.

mikestrat6 02-18-2013 09:29 AM

can you expand on that tweeter wiring? I hate the stock 6 speaker system so I'm looking at doing an upgrade in stages.

Stage 1: Stock radio -> 5 channel amp -> stock speakers and 12" xtant sub
Stage 2: Components up front, coaxes in rear doors
Stage 3: JL Cleansweep (if i decide i need it)

The car is a lease so I can't cut anything apart. I'm hoping that I can go 4 channel out of the stock radio into the amp and 4 channel out of the amp to the stock wiring, so my question is; do the tweeters have a separate connection to the stock radio or are they crossed-over from the same output as the fronts. Wiring diagram/photos would be much appreciated.

I've found that giving the stock speakers a better signal (i.e. putting an amp in-line) is a bigger bang for the buck than spending money on good speakers and wasting them on the tiny little amp in a head unit (stock or otherwise.) Also interested to know if anyone's done this on this system and if it makes a difference.

mikestrat6 02-25-2013 12:27 PM

I may have this solved. Going to verify when I do my installation and will update here.

dfoley4 02-25-2013 02:54 PM

Unfortunately I didn't take any photos as I was rushed during the install.

To clarify, The tweeters are NOT crossed from the front door speakers. What this means is that there is one set of wires coming into the door for that speaker only. The tweeter wiring originates from elsewhere (probably pigtailed at the head unit?)

With that said, I did exactly what you are planning to do for stage 2, however, I did have to cut wires for the tweeters. It is possible that you could make an adapter harness to avoid this but for me it was simpler to cut and splice.

aerophool 02-26-2013 04:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikestrat6 (Post 4299030)
c of the stock radio into the amp and 4 channel out of the amp to the stock wiring, so my question is; do the tweeters have a separate connection to the stock radio or are they crossed-over from the same output as the fronts. Wiring diagram/photos would be much appreciated.

THis is what i found for the 2012 and the 2011.

mikestrat6 02-27-2013 05:44 AM

Looks like what I found for the 13 as well, but this is for the HK system. It seems there is a harness somewhere in the dash that splits the speaker output from the radio out to the tweets and the front door harnesses. Not sure when I'll have time to go looking for it...

mikestrat6 03-15-2013 11:42 AM

it appears the metra BT-7552 is going to help me avoid cutting any factory wires. t-harness has all the wires

aerophool 03-15-2013 12:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Off topic a little, but... I love the 50 lb subwoofer bracket for a 0.5 lb subwoofer with a magnetic that is half the size of any self-respecting ear bud. The bracket is made out of 3/16" sheet metal.

They must have a problem with crash dynamics which require them to use a bracket that weighs more than the speaker it is holding...rather poor design though.