Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   2013 Legacy Oil Change Question (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199920)

withiam 01-18-2013 04:23 AM

2013 Legacy Oil Change Question

I've read a few threads on oil changes but I'll cut to the chase and ask my question. Too much oil can be bad just as too little oil can bad.
If the oil change calls for 5.5 quarts of oil and the grease monkey puts in 6 quarts of oil, how bad is that?
Will there be crankshaft contact?
What else could be an issue with .5 quarts too much?

It is clearly overfilled as seen on the dipstick.:icon_mad:

Rahhstah 01-18-2013 07:01 AM

have you asked Grease Monkey to correct the over-fill by draining and refilling correctly yet?

DrD123 01-18-2013 07:26 AM

Realistically, you are probably just fine at 0.5 quarts over - I wouldn't worry about it. You could try draining a bit, but getting just half a quart out is going to be a challenge... (on the EJ engines, you could just remove and drain the oil filter, but that's not really an option on the FB because of the new location)

withiam 01-18-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rahhstah (Post 4251675)
have you asked Grease Monkey to correct the over-fill by draining and refilling correctly yet?

Easier to do it myself as with all subsequent oil changes. Another case of the dumbing down of America.:cool: I'll let the dealership know that even the oil changes can't be performed correctly.
Thanks for the replies.

Captain Ned 01-18-2013 08:20 AM

I have one word to fix your problem:

Fumoto

Google. Grok. Enjoy.

Jay12Legacy 01-20-2013 06:28 AM

I always put a little extra in my cars i put5 quarts in my leg when book says about 4.4 and wifes mazda gets 5 when it holds 4.5. Youll be fine if it gets too much oil youll starts smoking oil from exhaust..

Jay

PoManzAWD 01-20-2013 07:35 PM

As much as I don't like doing them anymore, oil changes are one of those things I've always done myself.

There's no money to be made in just an oil change, so shops will fly through it, or put their floor sweeper on the job. No thanks.

Joel

withiam 01-21-2013 07:41 PM

Informed dealer of their mistake. They said to return car to rectify the problem. I asked if they had a dedicated person to do oil changes. They do not. It could be any of the mechanics. I witnessed the removal and refill of the oil. They added ~4.5 quarts as the filter was reused. Book calls out 5.1 quarts (not 5.5 as previously posted from cars101.com) with oil filter change. Mechanic performing the refill is the shop foreman. He said he would address the problem as it should have been checked after oil change and obviously was not. I am sure most people do not check the level after an oil change but we being enthusiast are wired differently than most.

One more thing, when I purchased two spare oil filters for future oil changes, the parts guy, without knowing, tried to sell me oil filters for a 2012 2.5. I informed him that the part number for the oil filter for the 2013 2.5 ends in 15A not 12A.
WTF, more dumbing down of America?

fredrik94087 01-22-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by withiam (Post 4256289)
Informed dealer of their mistake. They said to return car to rectify the problem. I asked if they had a dedicated person to do oil changes. They do not. It could be any of the mechanics. I witnessed the removal and refill of the oil. They added ~4.5 quarts as the filter was reused. Book calls out 5.1 quarts (not 5.5 as previously posted from cars101.com) with oil filter change. Mechanic performing the refill is the shop foreman. He said he would address the problem as it should have been checked after oil change and obviously was not. I am sure most people do not check the level after an oil change but we being enthusiast are wired differently than most.

One more thing, when I purchased two spare oil filters for future oil changes, the parts guy, without knowing, tried to sell me oil filters for a 2012 2.5. I informed him that the part number for the oil filter for the 2013 2.5 ends in 15A not 12A.
WTF, more dumbing down of America?

Too much television and internet....