Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   2012 vs 2013 (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199846)

computersoc 01-16-2013 07:42 PM

2012 vs 2013

Today at the dealer, as a loaner for the day, I was given a 2013 Legacy 2.5i (Premium?) with sunroof and spoiler with 2700 miles. The rims seemed like 17" or 18" stock. Definately looked like a different size than mine.

Drove about 150 miles, both highway and city. My comparison and questions:
1. Ride seemed a little more firm in the 2013, more like a new Camry. Not sure if this was because of the suspension upgrades, or my perception that it had bigger tires. I like the softer feel of bumps in my 2012. They don't seem as harsh. A Subaru is not a Mercedes, but mine is "more Mercedes like" than the 2013, if that make sense.
2. Pussy footing the peddle in traffic seems more powerful than in my 2012. It seems like if I hit the peddle the minimum amount in the 2013, it goes more than I want it. In my 2012, I can make it go really, really slow. I also noticed in my 2012 after the ECU was reset for the recall, it seems like there's not much power at low speed in traffic now, unless it has to re-learn
3. 2013 seems to have more speed up power at 70+ mph. I was doing 75 and wanted to pass, so I hit the gas, and the spedometer went up like a V6. I had to actually check after to make sure they didn't give me a 3.6L V6. This could also be because my car learned that I drive slow and don't give it a lot of gas (I like getting good gas mileage and not beating the snot out of the car). Not sure the real reason.
4. Sunroof was useless, I'm glad I didn't buy one. I'm sure there's some more road noise too because of it. Spoiler on the trunk makes it heavier and harder to open. Glad I didn't buy one.
5. Stock tires on both vehicles produce excess road noise.
6. Was the sun visor made more sturdier in the 2013?
7. Spedometer and other gauges are a different design in the 2013.
8. Brakes felt a little better in the 2013. Not enough for me to complain like in my 2012. I think the brakes suck in the 2012. They shouldn't suck this bad on a new car (been this way since I bought it).
9. Speakers sounded better in the 2013. I think the 2012 ones are terrible. Looks like the 2013 had the same amount as mine (one on each door and two on the dash).
10. Gas mileage on my Legacy is 32 highway. Gas mileage on the 2013 was 28 highway. Not broken in yet I see. It took around 10k for optimal mileage on mine I think.

AmanG 01-16-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

3. 2013 seems to have more speed up power at 70+ mph. I was doing 75 and wanted to pass, so I hit the gas, and the spedometer went up like a V6. I had to actually check after to make sure they didn't give me a 3.6L H6. This could also be because my car learned that I drive slow and don't give it a lot of gas (I like getting good gas mileage and not beating the snot out of the car). Not sure the real reason.

computersoc 01-17-2013 06:33 PM

Looks like it was a Sport model that I had. That explains much of the differences. So I guess I didn't do an apples to apples comparison like I thought I did!

hmmrdwn 01-18-2013 08:37 PM

Those are all good observations. The 2013 does ride a little stiffer and seems a little quicker. There may be some subtle variations in the torque curve and tranny/gearing, but the two engines put out almost identical numbers at 170 hp/170 ft. lbs.. It's hard for one to be a race car when both turn out the same mpg. The 2013 has some nice improvements. Some car/consumer mags didn't like the stiffer suspension of the 2013 either.

computersoc 01-19-2013 05:37 AM

Biggest thing to say should be that the differences aren't worth getting rid of a 2012 just to buy a 2013. Even if they'd give me one for a free trade, I'd keep my 2012 for the smoother feel over bumps than the 2013.

Almatti 01-19-2013 06:35 AM

2. Pussy footing the peddle in traffic seems more powerful than in my 2012. It seems like if I hit the peddle the minimum amount in the 2013, it goes more than I want it. In my 2012, I can make it go really, really slow. I also noticed in my 2012 after the ECU was reset for the recall, it seems like there's not much power at low speed in traffic now, unless it has to re-learn

I was contacted by Subaru and it still shows as a open TSB recall: ECU reflash. From what I understand the Reflash is for Emissions controls. There was another thread here about this I believe. If I recall, posters did mention this, it affected the throttle behavior. I have elected to PASS on the reflash,although every time I bring it in for service, it is always recommended. I decline. It probably applies to Subaru's CAFE ratings overall."If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It".........

Almatti 01-19-2013 06:38 AM

compu, the ride difference you feel on the premium models is attributed to the differennce in the wheel & tire size as well as the fact that Subaru says in thier ads that the new chassis is 40% firmer for better handling. 2012 has 16: wheels? 2013 has 17" wheels? on Premium models not Limiteds. Am I correct? If so, that will "feel' different but should offer a little better handling.

talkgtr 01-19-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almatti (Post 4253012)
compu, the ride difference you feel on the premium models is attributed to the differennce in the wheel & tire size as well as the fact that Subaru says in thier ads that the new chassis is 40% firmer for better handling. 2012 has 16: wheels? 2013 has 17" wheels? on Premium models not Limiteds. Am I correct? If so, that will "feel' different but should offer a little better handling.

The OP thinks the car was a Sport model, it would have had 18"s.

Almatti 01-20-2013 05:46 AM

talkgtr: You're Right!!! 18" wheels would certainly affect the ride harshness. Especially with 45 ratio tires, very little sidewall. better handlung Yes, firmer ride, Yes, less comfortable ride, absolutely.

BTW, on a tire thread here, I mentioned that I replaced my 16" standard wheels with 17" Legacy Limited wheels. Originally, installed new Cooper RS3-As as a UHP all season tire, 225/50/17s. They were too harsh, although exhibited excellent handling right out off the lift. Cooper offers a 45 day Test Drive on all their tires. I opted to switch to 215/50/17s CS4s (an HP all season Touring model tire). Much better ride. I changed to 215s from 225s followig the advise of my Subaru Dealer and the Mavis Tire dealer. That size is the recommended size for Premium & Limited Models (2010) with 2.5i. The LGT and the 3.6rs have 225 / 50 /17s... The slightly wider (215mm vs 225mm) applying the same ratio of 50 would provide a very slight Height (sidewall) increase over the 215s. When I compared the Cooper ZEONS RS3-As to the CS4s it was with different sizes (225 vs. 215s). So, the tire change is not really apples to apples...I can say the ZEONS are a truly Ultra High Performance tire (UHP) category. They could not get them to balance just right. The Subaru dealer told me to switch out of them since these tires were one step below - Racing Tires accordomg to the dealer's tire guy. They did examine the tires that Mavis mounted, rebalanced them for me and told me the ZEONS would never really balance properly due to the nature of the tire (UHP) for my Subbie. That's when i decided to switch them to the CS4s at the specified size (215s) - couldn't be happier with the decision - especially at $110 per tire mounted & balanced at Mavis Tire. No problem with the switch as well.

computersoc 01-20-2013 10:10 PM

Yes, it was definately 18". I was confused at first when I posted the original post since I didn't know 18" existed until I saw there's the Sport model for 2013.

minuccims 01-21-2013 07:42 AM

These are them. They are nice ....

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy...y13-wheel3.jpg

minuccims 01-21-2013 07:46 AM

I'll also add the "sport" model DOES NOT increase the caliper/rotors to the 3.6R (and LGT) size. So sport has it's limits.

Upgrade to LGT/3.6R calipers may be a desired mod for the 2.5i community

hmmrdwn 01-21-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minuccims (Post 4255390)
I'll also add the "sport" model DOES NOT increase the caliper/rotors to the 3.6R (and LGT) size. So sport has it's limits.

Upgrade to LGT/3.6R calipers may be a desired mod for the 2.5i community

Yeah I agree. Also...those brake discs look ridiculously small in comparison to the wheels. :lol: