Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Dealer messed up oil change (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199828)

computersoc 01-16-2013 05:45 PM

Dealer messed up oil change

I have a 2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium with CVT. It's a non-turbo. 20,700 miles.

Today went in for my yearly NY safety inspection. Emissions isn't needed the first two years. I had Royal Purple 5w30 with a RP filter in it. 4500 miles on the oil and filter. I've been running 7500 mile intervals as per the warranty requirements. The sticker was put as 3000 miles when I had the oil done, even though I run it 7500 miles.

Got a call from the dealer, went to my voicemail since phone was on silent. They asked if I wanted an oil change done since it was past due as per the sticker.

An hour later, on my lunch break, I noticed a call from them. Called the dealer and said "no, I have synthetic in there, leave it". The service advisor (SA) said, "uhhh, oooo-kay" and I knew by the tone of his voice that they did an oil change. He called back 5 minutes later saying the oil was already changed but he wouldn't charge me. He said it was regular oil, not synthetic. I said I gave no permission to change it and that I spent good money on the Royal Purple synthetic that was in there that I've been running in 7500 mile intervals. He said he'll have them drain it and put the Subaru Synthetic in there. Still pissed off, I said ok.

I get to the dealer and the invoice says "0w20 Synthetic". I said to the SA, "My manual states only 5w30 conventional or synthetic is supposed to be in there." He said it's fine and pulled out a chart showing "Subaru only uses 0w20 synthetic on vehicles that requires them, yours doesn't even require it, so it's fine". I got the manual and said "it says only 5w30 is to be used in either conventional or synthetic". He got the tech who did the stuff (I find it odd, or a lie, that an A tech would do a state inspection, ECU upgrade for a recall, and an oil change when it's the nation's 3rd largest Subaru dealer). The tech said, "oh they billed it wrong, I really put 5w30 Synthetic in there. We have both." The SA said he can have them re-do the oil change again with me watching them put 5w30 in it if I didn't believe them. They said it is "Gulf" brand 5w30 synthetic. Is that stuff any good?

I said leave it and they gave me a coupon to have them either put synthetic in for free, or for them to put my own supplied oil in it for free. Should I do another run on their synthetic after 7500 miles and then switch back to Royal Purple or whatever I planned on using once the RP ran out (PP)? Is it safe to do a 7500 interval with this "Gulf" brand oil?

What happens if there really is 0w20 in it, will it hurt? I still think there is. I'm in Upstate NY, I don't know how the lower weight oils act in the cold winters.

Your take on this?

BarManBean 01-16-2013 05:54 PM

Have them change it again while you watch and then never go back there. also, stop wasting you money on royal purple crap.

computersoc 01-16-2013 05:55 PM

it was on sale

Gorilla_Douglas 01-16-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarManBean (Post 4249582)
Have them change it again while you watch and then never go back there. also, stop wasting you money on royal purple crap.

what's wrong with royal purple??? What oil should be used in a turbo charged legacy?

computersoc 01-16-2013 06:05 PM

I don't have a turbo.

kits gt limited 01-16-2013 06:11 PM

Rocket Rally uses Gulf on its Rally cars, and in our cars as well.

JermTheElf 01-16-2013 06:16 PM

Quality Valvoline is fine in the 2.5i. Rotella T6 is the most popular with the LGT's.

Sleepr56 01-16-2013 07:26 PM

Which dealer was it, if you don't mind me asking? Rapp?

biggitybakes 01-17-2013 09:35 AM

I wouldn't be so hard on them. The sticker said 3000, so they were trying to be nice and get it done. Although they really shouldn't do anything without you knowing. Sounds like they tried to make it right with putting in the synthetic and giving you a coupon. Think of it as a free oil flush :) Just be more explicit with them when you drop your car off. Tell them exactly what you want done (I want synthetic 5w30) and to speak with you before they do anything else. It can be frustrating, but I think they had your best interests in mind, they just were bad about catering to your specific needs.

p.s. the first thing I do after an oil change is remove that sticker then login to mysubaru.com

DeltaNu1142 01-17-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggitybakes (Post 4250359)
Just be more explicit with them when you drop your car off. Tell them exactly what you want done (I want synthetic 5w30) and to speak with you before they do anything else.

Not sure I agree. OP didn't want an oil change, and they didn't discuss it when he dropped it off. I'm sure they also didn't discuss filling the washer fluid reservoir with grape soda... and as such, he'd have a right to be upset if they did.

biggitybakes 01-17-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 (Post 4250408)
Not sure I agree. OP didn't want an oil change, and they didn't discuss it when he dropped it off. I'm sure they also didn't discuss filling the washer fluid reservoir with grape soda... and as such, he'd have a right to be upset if they did.

I agree it was wrong. I'm saying next time, be explicit, if they still mess up. Be done with them.

StoplightAssassin 01-17-2013 10:40 AM

You had RP in there? They did you a favor.

3.6rrrrrmatey 01-17-2013 01:42 PM

You should always do some research/reading on your own time.

Using that 0w-20 is fine. It's an extremely common question.

The tech who did the work even said "it's ok they made a mistake on the invoice I used 5w-30".

I believe 0w-20 is meant for winter driving and fuel economy.

I have no idea what you plan to do with this car. I would rather change the oil sooner then spend extra on a companies marketing department. Especially on a 2.5i.

computersoc 01-17-2013 05:25 PM

I want longer intervals once the warranty is done, that's why I run synthetic. I plan on keeping the car for a lot of highway miles.

AmanG 01-17-2013 06:04 PM

My dealer put a sticker that told me to come back after 4,000 miles. I don't know where they got that interval from, but it doesn't matter I won't be returning to that dealer. Every time I have gone there my car has either come back dirtier than it originally was or the dealer messed something up when servicing it.