Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - 2014 ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Tpms (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199816)

uncledoobie 01-16-2013 11:35 AM

Tpms

another n00b question. In august of last year, I was driving down to Comic-Con and my front driver's side tire blew out. It was pretty spectacular and I managed to single-handedly cause a huge back up on I-5 that I was a little proud of (happened on a bridge where the shoulder tapered to next to nothing and could barely pull over).

Anyway, got 4 new tires because that's what I'd read was the only thing I could do. Thing is I was told by the tire installers that the TPMS on that tire had been ripped off in the blowout. I figured I could replace it later, and just haven't gotten around to it. Now the little orange light on the dash is starting to irritate me, and was wondering if I even need to replace the sensor. I check my tires pretty regularly.

Is there any way I can short out the light or reset it so it doesn't come back on?

islandborn 01-16-2013 12:45 PM

black electric tape over the light.....

wrxwhit 01-16-2013 08:12 PM

Why wouldn't you just replace the sensor, I'm confused?

PoManzAWD 01-16-2013 09:12 PM

Yeah it's pretty much live with the light, or pay about what a new tire costs.

$100+ for a new TPMS sensor and $50+ for a dealer to program it.

The problem trying aftermarket sensors is you'll probably need the dealer to program it anyway. TPMS is great until it breaks.

Joel

SurlyOldManMN 01-16-2013 11:20 PM

Incorrect on the programming. As has been covered many, many times on this forum, you can often get it done cheap or free at your local tire shop. Discount Tire in particular will do it for free. That's also way too much for a TPMS sensor. $41 on TireRack.

Of course it will be a little more than that now that you've already had the tire mounted. It has to come off again to install the sensor.

wrxwhit 01-17-2013 05:32 AM

Got mine for $35 from Rock Auto (Dorman).

PoManzAWD 01-17-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxwhit (Post 4250155)
Got mine for $35 from Rock Auto (Dorman).

Who programmed it for you? What did it cost?

I guarantee you your average tire shop is going to charge double that for a TPMS sensor and yes.. tire shops include the programming- if they can get them programmed.

I tied Dorman and Gorilla brand on my Honda to no avail. Tire shops couldn't get them programmed, tying several thousand dollars worth of hand held TPMS programmers. Dealer only for Honda, thus my gun-shyness. Dealers most certainly won't program them for free.

Joel

SurlyOldManMN 01-17-2013 07:16 AM

Do you think I'm lying about Discount Tire programming for free? Call them.

mark5032 01-17-2013 08:00 AM

The TPMS sensors I bought from Tire Rack were programmed by a local tire dealer for free, although I did buy the tires from the same dealer. I seem to recall they were about $200 shipped for all 4. The TPMS light came on a few miles after installation, and I had to take it back when the Tech was there. After taking it back, the light has not been back on since. I also use an ATEQ Quickset to switch back and forth between summer and winter wheels.

uncledoobie 01-17-2013 09:17 AM

When i ordered my new set on line through tire rack, the TPMS was an option but it was around $100. I had the tires shipped to a local Pep Boys place for installation and they offered a new TPMS seal for around $100 as well. Just seems a bit pointless given I monitor the pressure myself and have a good idea of when they need refilling

wrxwhit 01-17-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoManzAWD (Post 4250201)
Who programmed it for you? What did it cost?

I guarantee you your average tire shop is going to charge double that for a TPMS sensor and yes.. tire shops include the programming- if they can get them programmed.

I tied Dorman and Gorilla brand on my Honda to no avail. Tire shops couldn't get them programmed, tying several thousand dollars worth of hand held TPMS programmers. Dealer only for Honda, thus my gun-shyness. Dealers most certainly won't program them for free.

Joel

I'm a service manager for Firestone so free for me. We typically don't charge a customer for resets. Literally takes seconds in most vehicles. Customers are happy and become loyal to the business after providing this service to them. Also, my Dorman's reset just like my oem's without a hitch.

islandborn 01-17-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrxwhit (Post 4250416)
I'm a service manager for Firestone so free for me. We typically don't charge a customer for resets. Literally takes seconds in most vehicles. Customers are happy and become loyal to the business after providing this service to them. Also, my Dorman's reset just like my oem's without a hitch.

True to that! I'm a loyal customer to the Firestone by me. When I got new rims, I was charged for the new tpms but not for the resets or anything. I love the lifetime alignment/balance set up, plus I ride on Bridgestones only (brand loyalty). I'm sure there are dead beat ones, though mine isn't.:)

3.6rrrrrmatey 01-17-2013 12:26 PM

O.P I hope you get stuck in traffic and have somewhere to go.

Replace the sensor you irresponsible idiot. I wonder why your tire blew out? *facepalm*

My tire guy charges $40 for a Subaru TPMS sensor.

PoManzAWD 01-17-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurlyOldManMN (Post 4250243)
Do you think I'm lying about Discount Tire programming for free? Call them.

Like I clearly said in my above post, I KNOW tire shops will program them for free. Dealer service depts will not. I've been down that road. Depending on what brand of TPMS sensors tire shops carry, the hand-held units they have will not work on all TPMS equipped vehicles.

Joel

wrxwhit 01-17-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandborn (Post 4250632)
True to that! I'm a loyal customer to the Firestone by me. When I got new rims, I was charged for the new tpms but not for the resets or anything. I love the lifetime alignment/balance set up, plus I ride on Bridgestones only (brand loyalty). I'm sure there are dead beat ones, though mine isn't.:)

Ahh, very cool man. Good to here they take care of you. Can't beat the lifetime align and balance for sure especially when we are changing out parts left and right on these GT's and I's!