Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   DIY maintenance (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199748)

uncledoobie 01-15-2013 11:29 AM

DIY maintenance

So I've had to put off some important maintenance on my 2010 2.5i due to financial reasons but it's starting to make me nervous how long I've been letting it go. It also made me realize I don't like depending on the dealer or any garage for that matter to help keep my car in tip top shape. I understand major things would have to be brought in to the shop, but minor things - oil changes, or any fluid changes for that matter, belts, hoses, etc - I should be able to do on my own. Now keep in mind, I've had zero wrench time on my car and I want to change that. Any recommendations on where to start?

Also, with regards to something like an oil change, which i'd like to attempt on my own, how do I deal with the low ground clearance? Do I need a lift or find a place with one? Can i build myself a ramp and hopefully not kill myself in the process? :confused:

BarManBean 01-15-2013 11:37 AM

Just buy yourself a set of Rhinoramps (~$50) and start with that. A good first job is an oil change--you'll need a pan to drain the oil into, a ratchet/socket to get the drain bolt out, and an oil filter wrench as well.

If you read that and think to yourself "gawd, I have to buy all that just for an oil change!", then you might want to rethink your DIY aspirations--otherwise, go nuts and have fun. Wear some safety glasses while you are under the car.

uncledoobie 01-15-2013 11:45 AM

This sounds fantastic. I don't mind the equipment costs because it'll be spread out over the long run anyway (assuming most of these will last long). Now when the car is up on the ramp, will there be an issue about the oil draining out fully? Or should I expect some leftovers in there when I fill it up with the new oil?

Also, is there a case to be made for synthetic over regular? and is there a specific weight I should use with the NA 2.5i?

BarManBean 01-15-2013 11:50 AM

No issue with leftover oil, you'll be fine. Different people will tell you all sorts of things about what type of oil to use. The one consistent piece of advice for your car is probably to just use whatever the manual says to use, use something that is within your budget, and change it regularly according to the intervals indicated in the manual. One thing to steer clear of is "racing oils"--you don't need them and several of them are overhyped or just cruddy.

MN3.6R 01-15-2013 11:53 AM

There will always be some left over when draining. Do not let it drain till its stop dripping. I am sure you could find some DIY oil changing videos on you tube that may help to at least give you a visual concept of what you need to do.Should take 5w-30 on the newer 2.5i

uncledoobie 01-15-2013 12:03 PM

Great, thanks to you both. This is all extremely helpful.

The service I'm overdue for is the 30k major service, per the Subaru recommended service guide. Is that really necessary? I looked over what they do and it just seems like they're doing a lot of checking, with some fluid fill ups and an oil change. Is that service really necessary? It doesn't seem like it's worth the $600 they're charging. For that price I'd rather throw on a new exhaust.

3.6rrrrrmatey 01-15-2013 12:06 PM

I can't do an oil change cheaper than the shops and it's really the only part of the maintenance i'd do in my garage with ramps.

laff79 01-15-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN3.6R (Post 4247500)
There will always be some left over when draining. Do not let it drain till its stop dripping. I am sure you could find some DIY oil changing videos on you tube that may help to at least give you a visual concept of what you need to do.Should take 5w-30 on the newer 2.5i

and why is that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncledoobie (Post 4247526)
Great, thanks to you both. This is all extremely helpful.

The service I'm overdue for is the 30k major service, per the Subaru recommended service guide. Is that really necessary? I looked over what they do and it just seems like they're doing a lot of checking, with some fluid fill ups and an oil change. Is that service really necessary? It doesn't seem like it's worth the $600 they're charging. For that price I'd rather throw on a new exhaust.

not worth the money. search on here and have a car guy/friend help you out. get the exhaust instead

BarManBean 01-15-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.6rrrrrmatey (Post 4247531)
I can't do an oil change cheaper than the shops and it's really the only part of the maintenance i'd do in my garage with ramps.

You're not trying very hard then. You can change every fluid in the car, sway bars, the entire exhaust system, and I'm sure several other things using just a set of ramps. Keep in mind it's advisable to also have a set of jack stands to put under the car for added safety incase the ramps fail--you should always have a back up.

As far as the cost goes, you get what you pay for. I do my synthetic oil changes for about half the cost (or less) of what I would pay at any shop--and I do better work.

biggitybakes 01-15-2013 12:17 PM

Definitely get some rhino ramps, there are some that have less steep angles if you are worried about clearance. My advice is.. make sure your car is centered on the ramps and drive up them very slowly.

Also, know where your jack points are and invest in a set of jack stands. Also, some other good things to have are wheel chocks to make sure the car doesn't move on you. If I am working on brakes or suspension I usually throw the wheel under the car too, just in case :)

Don't go under the car unless you know it won't fall. I was amazed one time when I was out of town and I had my friend help my wife look at her brakes. They used the OEM jack that you find in the trunk and the car ended up falling with the wheel off and left a nice dent in some fairly new asphalt, which could have easily been one of their legs or arms.. They ended up jacking up the rear and had the e-brake on, but didn't chock the front wheels so the car rolled on them.. and trust me, these people aren't stupid, just inexperienced. It may be best to grab an experienced friend your first couple times under the car.

biggitybakes 01-15-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.6rrrrrmatey (Post 4247531)

Yeah they may be cheaper.. but they usually mess something up. When I didn't have a garage, I would take it in for changes in the winter and it was astonishing how often they would mess something up. They always over tighten the oil filter, and when I asked them to not do it so damn tight, they put it on too loose and it started leaking on me. They also checked my radiator fluid and got some paper towel caught in the cap and it was spraying coolant everywhere.. They almost ruined my wife's engine by not using a gasket on the oil filter houseing (mini cooper). Ugh I hate those quick service lube shops. Those 17 year old's really don't know what is going on.

CL21376 01-15-2013 12:40 PM

You can also make your own ramps out of wood.

I prefer to jack the car up and slide the ramps under the wheels.

uncledoobie 01-15-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CL21376 (Post 4247584)
You can also make your own ramps out of wood.

I prefer to jack the car up and slide the ramps under the wheels.

yea i was thinking about building my own with some cinder blocks and wood, but I'd rather just go the regular route of buying some time and tested ones. 50 bucks on amazon ain't bad, and I'll get regular usage out of them.

uncledoobie 01-15-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laff79 (Post 4247540)
not worth the money. search on here and have a car guy/friend help you out. get the exhaust instead

Are there any particular parts of the car that will require regular service beyond the simple oil change and fluid check? Are belts and hoses something I should let the dealer manage or can I tackle that as well? I imagine battery maintenance is another thing I can do on my own.

bluesuby 01-15-2013 01:03 PM

I can't figure why anyone would need ramps for an oil change (unless they weigh 500 pounds and have very short arms). Buy a "cap" style oil filter wrench which fits over the top of the filter. Check the Sears sale paper this weekend for savings on socket and ratchet tools. Six point sockets are best for getting a grip on that drain plug.