Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   First Generation Legacy (1989 - 1993) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Putting the Wagon on the Road (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199623)

snederhiser 01-13-2013 02:45 PM

Putting the Wagon on the Road

Hello All;
Recently bought a 1992 Legacy SW and have been in the process of turning this into a driver. First did the brakes, front tires and suspension/alignment. The next item on the list was the engine. An uneven idle and stalling was difficult to diagnose. New plugs were installed as a start. Fuel pump was pulled and a new filter (sock) was installed. The 171k pump was still in good shape, putting out 60psi with return line pinched. The IAC valve was pulled off and cleaned. A new water sensor was installed. Was running better but still had the uneven idle and stalling. I did a better job of cleaning the MAF sensor using alcohol and Q-tips. This seemed to be the big culprit of my problems. In the future the oil will be changed, new valve cover gaskets, and thinking of a new Bosch O2 sensor. The proper Bosch numbers are 13250 (ready fit)/15726 (universal). Other numbers to search for are SG286, 234-3083 (Denso), and 24614. Hope this little tale helps, Steven.

monkeyposeur 01-13-2013 08:31 PM

Welcome!

snederhiser 01-14-2013 08:09 AM

Hello;
Thanks for the welcome. I forgot too add that a fuel pressure regulator was added to the list. Found one on a Forrester with a 2.5 N/A engine. The junkyards here in Denver are full of these, making it cheap to operate and fix up. Steven.

snederhiser 01-21-2013 05:07 PM

Hello All;
Just an update on the wagon! My eratic idle and stalling returned to my dismay. After six hours of tearing out the electrical, ECU, fuse panel, relay bracket, and unhooking the wiring harness, I started to check out all of the relays. Turned out the main relay for engine management was eratic. Took the cover off and discovered that one of the leads for the relay magnet was laying on the terminal and not soldered. How this car ran for twenty one years is beyond me! A quick solder job and assembly put me back on the road. So be sure to tap those relays when testing, Steven.

monkeyposeur 01-21-2013 05:59 PM

Wow! I don't think I ever would have figured out that one!

snederhiser 01-23-2013 09:00 AM

Hello All;
Yesterday spent some time sanding and polishing the headlight covers. Started out with 600 grit, then 1500 grit, and used Blue Magic Restorer for the final buff. Kinda nice being able to see the beams. What is the deal with the three screws for adjusting the headlights? Most that I have adjusted just have two screws. Is the third for the Hi Beams? Thanks for any knowledge, Steven.

snederhiser 01-27-2013 04:48 PM

Hello All;
Did a bit more troubleshooting on my ongoing uneven idle and stalling. Checked the output voltage on the MAF sensor. I was well within the limits of .8-1.2 volts but noticed the voltage would vary after running awhile. Off to the Pull and Pay and scored a MAF out of a '96 legacy. Thinking I may have this solved but am going to check the output voltage on the O2 sensor for laughs, Steven.

tripleb117 01-28-2013 09:56 PM

Interesting. So was the idling problem fixed with the relay? Or is it still erratic?

snederhiser 01-29-2013 09:55 AM

Hello;
Yes on both. The car would run and completely crap out with the bad relay. The MAF sensor was the cause of the uneven idle after warm-up. The relays in these cars are robust, so I would check these as a last result. Trying to share my experiences with others, Steven.

snederhiser 02-03-2013 08:34 PM

Hello All;
Did my first 300 mile trip with the Legacy Wagon, and the used MAF sensor seems to be working fine! Also put the new valve cover gaskets in and checked out the O2 sensor. Discovered a oil leak and believe that it is leaking from the oil pump. Besides the leak will get around to fixing the rear muffler, the bottom is rotted away. Found that a SG-36 universal O2 sensor should work in the Subies. Steven.

snederhiser 02-05-2013 05:51 PM

Hello All;
Took a stroll at the local pull and pay today and scored a beautiful muffler for the Wagon. Came off a 2nd generation, hope to install before the weekend. Picked up a TPS and a few oddballs, Steven.

monkeyposeur 02-05-2013 09:59 PM

Scavenging the salvage yards for Subie parts is one of my most treasured pastimes. There a lot of them out here in SLC as well.

snederhiser 02-06-2013 03:23 PM

Hello Monkey;
Alot of these were sold in Utah and Colorado for the AWD. Now were reaping the benifits of these great classics. My local pull and pay sells the trim and body stuff for a bargain. Makes a nice day with some tools, and strolling around. Steven.

snederhiser 02-07-2013 08:02 AM

Hello All;
Received my universal oxygen sensor (SG36) last night! It has 3 wires, 1 black and 2 white. I am thinking the black wire is the sensor output and the 2 white wires are the heater circuit. Will be putting this in the next couple of days and will report. For $12.00 it is worth a try, Steven.

snederhiser 02-07-2013 03:55 PM

Hello All;
Put on the second generation muffler I scrounged out of the pull and pay. The old rusty muffler weighed about 5-7 pounds more than the replacement. Took a quick spin and seems to have made a big difference. Next trip the hammer will be put down to blow out the converter junk. This was a bolt in fit, Steven.