Subaru Legacy Forums

Subaru Legacy Forums (http://legacygt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Generation Legacy (2010 - ) (http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   How BAD is your OEM Pioneer Nav system? (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199615)

Scooby Fan 01-13-2013 01:49 PM

How BAD is your OEM Pioneer Nav system?

I have mentioned a few problems with my OEM Nav system in other threads but I think this needs a thread of it's own. Mine is in a new 2012 Legacy 2.5 Limited and has been crap right from day one!! It has been to the dealer a few times now and the service guys say it is "Just fine" and they have never had complaints about the system at all.....the sales guys say they have been inundated with complaints since the system was introduced into Subaru's line up, both Legacys and Foresters.
I live in Burnaby which is a suburb of Vancouver BC

Here are just a few of my incidents starting back when it was new , 2 months ago.
- Used the GPS to take me to the dealership....it said I had "Arrived at destination" when I was still 4 Km away
- Used the GPS to go to one of my favorite golf courses (Just a test)......about 3 block from home it instructed me to "Turn right on Keele Street".....there is NO Keele Street in western Canada....it is in Toronto Ontario.
- Used it to go to a restaurant about 40 Km from home.....Out for lunch with my wife.... The GPS took us 7 Km past the town the restaurant is in and then doubled back through the town and finally to our destination....total 15 Km extra driving.
- Left home just last week with no plotted destination...just watching the displayed map.... I couldn't recognize any of the streets so I expanded the map to see where it thought I was at the time.....It had me driving through some houses in a suburb of Los Angeles,....not even on a street or road....finally put me on Hwy 101 in an area called Korea Town in LA. About 10 minutes later it switched to Vancouver area...as if it had just woken up!!

These are just a few of the worst incidents....I would say that even when it is working as well as it can it has an accuracy of about 60-100 meters and generally much worse.
I contacted Pioneer and they say this is unacceptable (No sh!t batman) and that Subaru should replace it....Subaru says it is fine because when they tested it, they took it a few blocks from the dealership and it found it's way back with no problem.
I found the GPS antenna wrapped in a bunch of wires inside the dash and moved it to a spot where it has a clear view of the sky and that seemed a bit better but the last incident was after I did that.

Let's hear some of your stories about this Pioneer nav system:confused: Nice stereo....garbage Nav system!!!

BTW .... I have already bought a Garmin Nuvi for the times I really need a reliable Nav. :wub:

Scooby Fan 01-15-2013 04:08 PM

Looks like I got the lemon in this barrel.....I am surprised ;)

SUBIENUBIE13 01-15-2013 08:15 PM

I have the nav in my 2012 LGT and have never experienced anything like this... this may be an obvious question, but did your nav pack come with any discs for updating your location?? (east coast vs. west coast)?

killerniceguy 01-15-2013 10:47 PM

All years of LGT came with Kenwood Nav in Canada, in fact there was only one trim level for LGT in Canada, nav is an option in the US. 2010-2011 Legacy and Outback (non LGT) had Kenwood Nav as an option. The Pioneer system the OP is referring to was only available to the Canadian Legacy and Outback (non LGT) for the 2012 and 2013 year. The kenwood was still standard on the Canadian LGT in 2012.

killerniceguy 01-15-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby Fan (Post 4244374)
I have mentioned a few problems with my OEM Nav system in other threads but I think this needs a thread of it's own. Mine is in a new 2012 Legacy 2.5 Limited and has been crap right from day one!! It has been to the dealer a few times now and the service guys say it is "Just fine" and they have never had complaints about the system at all.....the sales guys say they have been inundated with complaints since the system was introduced into Subaru's line up, both Legacys and Foresters.
I live in Burnaby which is a suburb of Vancouver BC

Here are just a few of my incidents starting back when it was new , 2 months ago.
- Used the GPS to take me to the dealership....it said I had "Arrived at destination" when I was still 4 Km away
- Used the GPS to go to one of my favorite golf courses (Just a test)......about 3 block from home it instructed me to "Turn right on Keele Street".....there is NO Keele Street in western Canada....it is in Toronto Ontario.
- Used it to go to a restaurant about 40 Km from home.....Out for lunch with my wife.... The GPS took us 7 Km past the town the restaurant is in and then doubled back through the town and finally to our destination....total 15 Km extra driving.
- Left home just last week with no plotted destination...just watching the displayed map.... I couldn't recognize any of the streets so I expanded the map to see where it thought I was at the time.....It had me driving through some houses in a suburb of Los Angeles,....not even on a street or road....finally put me on Hwy 101 in an area called Korea Town in LA. About 10 minutes later it switched to Vancouver area...as if it had just woken up!!

These are just a few of the worst incidents....I would say that even when it is working as well as it can it has an accuracy of about 60-100 meters and generally much worse.
I contacted Pioneer and they say this is unacceptable (No sh!t batman) and that Subaru should replace it....Subaru says it is fine because when they tested it, they took it a few blocks from the dealership and it found it's way back with no problem.
I found the GPS antenna wrapped in a bunch of wires inside the dash and moved it to a spot where it has a clear view of the sky and that seemed a bit better but the last incident was after I did that.

Let's hear some of your stories about this Pioneer nav system:confused: Nice stereo....garbage Nav system!!!

BTW .... I have already bought a Garmin Nuvi for the times I really need a reliable Nav. :wub:

Have you thought of going the CAMVAP route to see if you can get it replaced? If you can consistently replicate the problem I bet once you mention CAMVAP, they (subaru Canada) will just replace it with an aftermarket unit of your choice.

Scooby Fan 01-15-2013 11:51 PM

The problems are random so there is no way to make them occur when you want to show someone.... Really I think it is just a case of crappy software and horribly inaccurate position sensing.
I tried to get the dealer to replace it with a non nav stereo and I would just use my Garmin....No chance!!

Scooby Fan 01-15-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUBIENUBIE13 (Post 4248379)
I have the nav in my 2012 LGT and have never experienced anything like this... this may be an obvious question, but did your nav pack come with any discs for updating your location?? (east coast vs. west coast)?

Nope....just the disc which is a 232 page instruction manual... I have played with the mapping and it covers all of North America.....just a crappy GPS system compared to Garmin etc......combine that with terrible accuracy and you have what I have.... In truth I did NOT want a Legacy with a nav system, but the deals on the last few 2012 Limited models was just too good to pass up....... around town it is just a novelty item anyway, and if I am driving somewhere I am not familiar with I put my Garmin Nuvi on the dash and actually know where I am going.
I would never trust this Pioneer system to navigate in a strange area .... way too many problems lurking in there.:confused:

3.6rrrrrmatey 01-16-2013 04:42 AM

You aren't the only one with issues it's just that not many people have bought a 2013 yet and not many people buy the Factory Nav.

I have the 2010 nav and it's horrible I can barely use the Map to find streets. 8 yearold Kenwood technology.

shribob 01-16-2013 06:00 AM

I don't think the NAV is even close to the best option out there. But I have yet to have any real issues with it doing its job--getting me from point A to point B.

I think the user interface is very outdated, but I just live with it.

hmmrdwn 01-16-2013 06:20 AM

I travel for business and have been using after market nav systems since they came out. There are glitches in all of them. Not sticking up for Subaru's though. Just can't say how many times I've found problems with others. Also been a member of other brand vehicles chatrooms and heard the same complaint. Another complaint is the cost of updates. I've even found google maps to be wrong at times.

TwoTone 01-16-2013 10:32 AM

This really makes me think it has to be one of 2 things, the unit itself is defective or when Subaru went to Pioneer they asked for a lower spec cheaper head unit than retail ones.

We have a AVIC 940BT and it works great. I don't even have the speed sensor wire hooked up. I've read it's even more accurate with that but haven't found a reason to connect it.

Scooby Fan 01-16-2013 11:20 AM

Thanks for the comments guys.....as I have said, I just use the Pioneer as a novelty item around town....something to look at while the nice stereo in there is playing away. When I actually need navigation help it is Garmin Nuvi to the rescue....I have used Garmins for years and know all their little quirks.....but with Garmin lifetime maps and lifetime traffic alert it is a no brainer to use what I know.
One of the most annoying things I found with the Pioneer is that when you click on a certain POI in the data base it does NOT give you and address or phone number for the business/hotel/restaurant etc....just questionable directions on how to find it. Pretty hard to call ahead if you are on a road trip and need advance information.
I'll use it for what it is........BUT I would NEVER advise anyone to get it as an option.

hmmrdwn 01-16-2013 06:41 PM

I don't like in dash gps units.

Scooby Fan 01-17-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmmrdwn (Post 4249751)
I don't like in dash gps units.

Very insightful post :confused:
Do you not like having any GPS nicely mounted in the dash or do you just not like the ones the OEMs use for their "In dash" systems??

I built a Garmin Nuvi into the cubby spot in my '06 LGT and it looked and worked awesome.........wish I could have done the same in my '12 Limited.

Scooby Fan 04-20-2013 11:01 AM

Well......Progress....I kept complaining about my Navi system at the dealership and they finally agreed that mine was not working as designed. Took it in yesterday and they installed a totally new unit and took the time to set it up properly (The tech actually spend almost an hour with me in the car getting it set right.)
Is it better than the original??..... You bet...also has features the original had but didn't work....The original was poor even by Pioneer standards.
Is it as good a navi system as a stand alone Garmin?? ........ NO, but it is functional now.

I will always carry my Garmin Nuvi for times when I must use a GPS to navigate in a strange area..... Just could never trust the Pioneer after all this.

While the tech was in my car (In the dealer's parking lot) I asked the navi to take us to the dealership as shown in the data base.....It showed that we were 2.8 Km away.

The real problem with the Pioneer is that it is slow to respond....not accurate enough........and a lot of the data in the Points of Interest are just not right.

Anyway....now I have a functional Nav system and a great stereo......with Garmin back-up I will be fine........Oh but "What a workout" to get to here.

Thanks to Docksteader Motors for finally getting it right.